Trailer GVWR and axle loading.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pfc1

Hello, we own a 2013 Jayco White Hawk 28 DSBH. It has a GVWR of 7500 lbs but comes with dual Dexter 3500 lb axles. My issue is that my rear axle is now out of camber alignment and wearing my tires out on the inside edge. I guess I'm mostly confused about the under rated axles that were installed from the factory, has anyone else noticed this issue. As I understand if the trailer is towed nose up it will put more load on the rear axle which will cause the axle to bow causing the tires to wear un-evenly. After towing our camper for 5 years and never having an issue with tire wear, why now. does anyone have any input on this issue, thanks.

Just guessing, but is the tire wear issue really just now, or have you noticed it just now?  Have you rotated the tires on your unit this past 5 years? Are you in fact Towing this unit nose high?

pfc1 said:
Hello, we own a 2013 Jayco White Hawk 28 DSBH. It has a GVWR of 7500 lbs but comes with dual Dexter 3500 lb axles. My issue is that my rear axle is now out of camber alignment and wearing my tires out on the inside edge. I guess I'm mostly confused about the under rated axles that were installed from the factory, has anyone else noticed this issue. As I understand if the trailer is towed nose up it will put more load on the rear axle which will cause the axle to bow causing the tires to wear un-evenly. After towing our camper for 5 years and never having an issue with tire wear, why now. does anyone have any input on this issue, thanks.

You are forgetting about the tongue weight of the trailer.  The trailer GVWR is 7500 lb, but not all of that weight is on the axles....some percentage (hopefully 12-13% or so) is on the tongue.......let's say 12% for the sake of this conversation.  So that number is 900 lbs and it is deducted from the 7500, which leaves 6600 lbs of weight on the two axles.....or 3300 per axle if everything is perfectly balanced......which is probably not the case (perfectly balanced), but hopefully pretty close

Is this the ideal situation....NO, is it legal for them to manufacture it this way.....yes!

Welcome to the Forum!

X rated is exactly correct on the weight differences - especially about being barely legal.  The manufacturer (any manufacturer) rarely spends any money for stuff you can't see, like bigger axles, unless legally required.  Same for tires.

You my have hit a big bump, harder on the rear axle??, and bent the axle.  You could get it straightened at a truck / trailer alignment shop, or you could replace both axles with 4000# axles.

Back
Top Bottom