EZ Pass- is one in the coach all you need if towing a toad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perfect! They actually give you RFID shielding bags for this too when you get one--or at least in the past. Or for some transponders, you can just turn it off (there is a switch in the unit itself so that it won't be read).

mileena said:
Perfect! They actually give you RFID shielding bags for this too when you get one--or at least in the past.

Aluminum foil works just fine; no special bag is needed.

mileena said:
Perfect! They actually give you RFID shielding bags for this too when you get one--or at least in the past. Or for some transponders, you can just turn it off (there is a switch in the unit itself so that it won't be read).

If you're using the E-ZPass supplied shielded bag, I suggest doubling up on it. I mailed a transponder back a couple of years ago in a single bag, and not long after got a notice that my automatic replenishment had added twice the usual $25 to my account to cover current tolls. When I checked the usage, I had been charged an expensive toll on the NY Thruway between exits I've never used for the tag that was sent back. I called E-ZPass customer service, and it didn't take long for them to figure out that the tag had been read at the exit booth only, while on the mail truck, so I was automatically charged from the furthest exit as called for in their rules. Since it was an obvious error, and it shouldn't have been read at all, the full amount was credited back to my account within a couple of days. They were the ones that suggested double bagging the unused transponder. You can order extra bags from your E-ZPass online account in the "Vehicles & Tags" section under "Request Supplies".

NY_Dutch said:
If you're using the E-ZPass supplied shielded bag, I suggest doubling up on it. I mailed a transponder back a couple of years ago in a single bag, and not long after got a notice that my automatic replenishment had added twice the usual $25 to my account to cover current tolls. When I checked the usage, I had been charged an expensive toll on the NY Thruway between exits I've never used for the tag that was sent back. I called E-ZPass customer service, and it didn't take long for them to figure out that the tag had been read at the exit booth only, while on the mail truck, so I was automatically charged from the furthest exit as called for in their rules. Since it was an obvious error, and it shouldn't have been read at all, the full amount was credited back to my account within a couple of days. They were the ones that suggested double bagging the unused transponder. You can order extra bags from your E-ZPass online account in the "Vehicles & Tags" section under "Request Supplies".

That is excellent advice! Again, I was not aware of that. I would have been furious. I am actually thinking of getting a transponder that has a switch where you can turn it off, so no bag is needed:

https://www.bayareafastrak.org/en/guide/doineedflex.shtml

"The FasTrak Flex toll tag is a convenience, but is not required, for toll-free travel in the SR-237 and I-680 Sunol express lanes as a carpool, motorcycle, or eligible CAV. If you have a standard FasTrak toll tag, you must enclose it in a Mylar bag to avoid being charged a toll. If you have a FasTrak Flex toll tag, you can leave it mounted on your windshield and use the switch position to identify your vehicle for toll-free travel. "

Attachments

• Clipboard04-reduced-a.jpg
    Clipboard04-reduced-a.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 4
NY_Dutch said:
A tag with a switch would be a nice feature, but obviously a FasTrak tag won't do us any good in E-ZPass states.  ;)

:D  When I was in Maine, before they switched to E-ZPass in the early 2000's, all you had to do was pull the batteries out of the MainePass transponder!

NY_Dutch said:
Not only that, but you also have to apply for the plan. There's also a discounted rate available for P/U's towing a 5'ver.

https://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/ta-w68176.pdf

Found your post when searching for EZPass info. Wanted to say THANK YOU as I was able to use the info there to educate the actual "support" person at EZPass Customer Service. Took about an hour on the phone with very long holds while she checked with what I assume were more senior staffers. In the end she thanked me for "training her" but at least I should finally be getting the right pass to use when towing.

jymbee said:
Found your post when searching for EZPass info. Wanted to say THANK YOU as I was able to use the info there to educate the actual "support" person at EZPass Customer Service. Took about an hour on the phone with very long holds while she checked with what I assume were more senior staffers. In the end she thanked me for "training her" but at least I should finally be getting the right pass to use when towing.

I'm glad you got it sorted out with them!

Back
Top Bottom