Wi-Fi, antennas and rest areas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ankrum

Hello all,

Great forum!

I'm new to RVing. We pick up a new Itasca Navion in a couple of weeks.

I've been researching Wi-Fi and have not found any clear answers:

Has anyone attached a directional antenna to an external TV antenna and been able to rotate it to find a signal? What's the best model? How about another method to put a rotatable, directional Wi-Fi antenna on the roof?

Has anyone tried accessing the free W-Fi at rest stations from inside their RV? How about outside libraries and other free access points?

Thank you,

Denny

Denny

We use no supplemental antennae for wi-fi, relying solely on our built in chip. A number of members of this Forum use the Hawking external directional antenna and find it very good. We have used our wi-fi chip in campgrounds, libraries, rest areas, in front of libraries when they are closed and in front of coaches with satellite internet and open wi-fi. Our only issue is at times we are parked in a part of a campground where the signal can get weak at times. But it usually comes back.

I don't have direct experience with Wi-Fi antennas, but I think it is a mature business.  The hacker community and war drivers are experienced in this.  The good news is that at 2.4GHz, the wave length is short and the antenna would always be small.  If you could get it on the rotating TV antenna that would be great - outside and also able to be aimed from inside.

I have felt that it could make a big difference in marginal situations and I'm very interested to hear more replies.

I guess searching around for devices the way a hacker would is the way to find more options.

Google is your friend.  Search on WiFi Directional antennas and you'll find more than you ever even wanted to know.

I use campground wifi from inside my rv.  I have occasionally attempted unsuccessfully to use Best Western's wifi from my truck in the parking lot but others report success.

Joel

There are a few Directional WI-Fi Anteannas on the market, A company named MFJ makes one. I have a couple of articles on it lying about here.  I've never actually seen one though.

I have seen several "Make your own direcitonal antanna" articles.  Some of these are quite inventive,  One of the most interesting ones involved a common kitchen strainer (Wire mesh type) with a USB dongle mounted at the focal point.  This could indeed be attached to a common RV tv antenna and rotated for best signal.

However I think I'd want to bring it in when not using it.

As for Wi-Fi in rest areas.. .you should not need that kind of gain.

Personally I would choose a decent quality omni-directional antenna and not worry about rotating it. But easier yet is a decent wifi adapter that has a bit more power than the garden variety stuff.  And one that plugs to a USB port, so you can move it around a bit. Senao makes a nice one that does both of those things - the Engenius. Hawking's directional one of pretty good too.

A step up is something like the WaveRV or its portable cousin, the WaveRV II.  You can do it yourself for less than the WaveRV products, but it's convenient for amateurs to buy and install a pre-packaged system.

On our companion Yahoo Group  [Roaming Friends] we have some photos of a cell phone antenna mounted on a RV tv antenna to do what you want. A wifi antenna could be done the same way.  I think you have to join the group to view the picture, but here is a direct link: cell antenna added to tv

One of the tricks to wi-fi is remembering that the waveform is extremely short - in the range of a couple of inches.  This means that moving the antenna even an inch or two can make all the difference in the world when trying to work with a marginal signal.

The other problem is, again due to the short wavelengths, the RF (radio frequency) components should be physically close to the antenna.  The radio signal falls off very rapidly if you try to send it through a long coax to the transmitter/receiver.

I'd try using a moveable USB adapter first.  A USB adapter places all of the RF components at the antenna.  Everything between the converter and computer is USB, which can be extended using cables and boosters if needed.

The moveable part means you can leave your laptop in a convenient location and move the receiver/antenna a few inches back and forth for the best signal, instead of having to prop the laptop at an awkward angle.  Try putting the adapter inside a window.  Do you have an opening roof vent?  Inside the plastic cover gets it at roof height and keeps it weatherproof whenever the vent is closed.

Yes, but you can get active extension cables.

Yes, but you can get active extension cables.

That is correct ....but USB only goes 25' without a repeater to extend the 25' rule

That's what an active extension cable is.  It has a repeater in it.

Back
Top Bottom