RVs and EZ Pass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark-M

What do you all do to use EZPass on your RVs?  I don't see an option for an EZ pass for our class C or other RVs on the Maryland EZPass website.

We have a 32' RV with a CRV toad (Toad has an EZPass).

You would get a transponder for a class 2 vehicle. (same as your toad) Your C still only has two axles, and that's how you are billed.

This topic may be of interest to you:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,115804.0.html

Not sure about MD.  In NY you have to call in and get the pass.  Billing, in NY, is the same as a standard 2 axle vehicle.  And another transponder for the MH if towing.  The pass in the toad comes out if being toweed.  I know there are lots of variants of this scenario, but that's the way NY is, or is supposed to be.

We use three EZ Pass transponders. 
1st one for the motorhome alone
2nd one for the motorhome while towing the dinghy
3rd one for the toad when not attached.
By the way, EZ Pass is the same no matter which participating state issues the units.  However, I have found that the fees associated with getting  and maintaining the transponders are different from state to state.  We use the Mass. transponders to save a buck or two....

Wasoki said:
We use three EZ Pass transponders. 
1st one for the motorhome alone
2nd one for the motorhome while towing the dinghy
3rd one for the toad when not attached.
By the way, EZ Pass is the same no matter which participating state issues the units.  However, I have found that the fees associated with getting  and maintaining the transponders are different from state to state.  We use the Mass. transponders to save a buck or two....
Well that is not entirely true. With a NY issued EZ_PASS your motor home is billed at the same rate as a car.
I believe there is a fiver discount as well.

AND, in NY - transponders, if ordered on-line, or by phone, are 0 (ZERO) cost.  And you get a rate break, however small it may be.  Can never understand why any NY'r that uses the Throughway system does not have an EZPass. ???

kdbgoat said:
You would get a transponder for a class 2 vehicle. (same as your toad) Your C still only has two axles, and that's how you are billed.

In NH it's a little different. I had a 1 ton dually a few years ago and I was charge for three axles because I had 6 tires on the road.  Use to make me so mad. Now I believe a motorcycle pays just like a car but I'm not too sure about that and they only have 2 tires on the ground.

A bit off topic... Before the Ipass in Illinois and before my RV transformation we traveled on two wheels with a trailer in tow. went east through the toll booths to Michigan and back over a week and the last toll booth coming west I got hit for the extra charge for my trailer. I said to the guy "I only have four tires" and got told I had three axles, so I asked what about independent suspension? He looked at me like I'd grown a third eye and repeated the toll amount. Yeah I wont repeat what I said, but lets say he had to stand up to collect my toll.

I run the risk when towing now with the ipass and play catch me if you can, so far so good, many trips through the windy towing and never a mailing..

I just checked the fares for one toll house in NH. For a motorcycle, a car, a mini van, a SUV ande a truck with2 axles single rear wheels the cost is $.75.  For a truck with dual rear wheels and a MH with duals, it cost $1.50.

While you can get a NY issued E-ZPass from any state, the "Motorhome Plan" where you're only charged standard passenger car per axle rates only applies in NY on the NY Thruway. The special transponder is treated the same as any other transponder in other states with no special rates other than a small E-ZPass discount in some states. The NY Thruway charges by number of axles and vehicle height. If your two axle vehicle is over 7'6" for instance, the tolls are about double those of passenger cars unless you have the Motorhome Plan transponder. As said, if you order a NY issued E-ZPass online with auto refill, there are no monthly charges or a transponder charge. Just pay the initial refill amount, usually $25. The only monthly fee is ($1-$2?) if you want snail mailed paper statements instead of online statements.

I just used mine from Louisville Ky to Delaware seacoast then up through New Jersey to New York and back to Louisville.
Most of the tolls were on the motor home pulling a toad and it came to $147.10.
NJ turnpike and PA turnpike were the most at $30 something each.
It took a couple of days to catch up with me, My EZPASS is from Riverlink here in Louisville.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom