Is it dangerous being a gay woman on the road at all?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have at lesst two gay couples in our long term rv park. Both participate in most activities and are well liked by everyone. An rv park may be the best environment you'll find anywhere as far as people being accepting and friendly.

Ernie

Hey there!  As a firearms instructor, I'd say you should always be careful.  I'd also say, just like you should do in every day life, being aware of your surroundings is the most important thing.  If it looks or feels sketchy, leave. Period. Go boondock in a Walmart or Cabelas.  I'd also get some mace, tasers, and (if you're into them) a gun and learn to use all of them.

Hope y'all have fun. But be smart while you're doing it!

chris

I do not think it matters what your orientation is.  You are both prey to a predator.

Luckily, there are only a few predators around.  Stay together and it will be safer.

Seeing 2 or more females camping together will not raise any red flags in normal circumstances. Its common practice it seems. What you do behind closed doors is your business. just be aware of your surroundings. Rv folks are friendly and engauaging more often than not. Have fun and be responsible... ;D

Some good ideas on this youtube video about safety and security while RV'ing.  If you're ever in the Dallas, TX area, let me know.  I'll hook you up with some mace and stuff.  We can also do an easy firearms class also if you're into that.

If you were my daughter I'd tell you to be careful boon docking in Urban areas, and at some older State or Federal campgrounds.  Those places (IMO*) tend to attract some of the transient people that are living outside the of the laws.

Any good campground should be fine, it's a lot more common than you think.  :))

* ( from the father of 8 daughters )  ;D

darsben said:
Bear Spray is the product to carry. Mace is illegal in some states but Bear Spray is not and it sprays up to 30 feet.
Second choice wasp spray.  Sprayed in someones face they will not be coming toward you anymore. Also legal in all stgates

I'm not a big fan of mace, or pepper spray. Not because they aren't effective; I've eaten them both due to other people 'helping out', and know what they are capable of doing. My issue with them is the residual effects; they can linger for some time, and in a small area, that can be a problem. We do have the wasp spray ready in our house, among other things...    ;)

All great advice so far.  In your excitement to be traveling be careful about oversharing your travel status with strangers.  Stay together at rest stops, gas stations, etc.  If it doesn't feel right move along on down the road (I do this to this day if necessary).

Check your pm.

Ive found the best defensive weapon....

Attachments

• goodmorning hank.jpg
    goodmorning hank.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 42
What that means is the " Don't ask don't tell rule."

Do not go around volunteering to everyone your partnership status. If it comes up in conversation handle it as you normally would.
So as I would introduce myself and my wife BEFORE WE WERE MARRIED was Hi I am Ben and this is my friend Darleen. Now of course it is HI I am Ben and this is my beautiful wife Darleen.
I suggest the same for you guys. If you are married acknowledge the partnership; if you are not feel people out before announcing.

You don't want to advertise that you are two young ladies traveling alone.  If anyone seems to pry be cautious.  You have the classic safety concerns but you also don't want to be an easy mark for swindlers.  There was a story on this site a while back about people getting ripped off by some tire scam in a remote stop.  Traveling is awesome and fun but you have to maintain a street sense. 

All good advice.  We've known quite a few RVing gays (singles and couples) over the years and, really, they're people just like anyone else!  Who cares?  Just keep discreet - not just about your status but your ages, itinerary, etc.  Use your street smarts and if anything looks dicey move on to another place.  We all do that to stay safe.  Most of all, have fun and join in when you find friendly people.  Most RVers are pretty nice and welcoming people.

ArdraF

This is a weapon:

Attachments

• 52534E67-195E-4F05-8A54-CE772343AE07.jpeg
    52534E67-195E-4F05-8A54-CE772343AE07.jpeg
    41.1 KB · Views: 39
Nice dobie. I've had dobies and German Shepherds and loved them all . One GSD  was security trained. Mess with any of his people and he would remove your genitals. The rest would lick your face off.

ChasA said:
Nice dobie. I've had dobies and German Shepherds and loved them all . One GSD  was security trained. Mess with any of his people and he would remove your genitals. The rest would lick your face off.

Yeah. German Shepherds are nice as well. Great dogs for sure.

Back
Top Bottom