Possibly an odd question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Optimistic Paranoid said:
You know, technically being a nomad is not the same as being a gypsy or a wanderer.  Nomads are not people who move about freely as the whim takes them.  They are people who follow the herds.  It's the HERDS who move about freely as the whim takes THEM.

So, you and your family have an overwhelming urge to follow a herd of buffalo?

(grinning, ducking, and running)

Does following the Autumn qualify?

I didn't want to use "Gypsy" because we don't plan on moving around all that much, as of now anyway, in these early planning stages.

You know, on thinking about it... I might tag along with a heard of Buffalo for a while, if I saw em... out there... wandering...

Not sure I could get my husband on board for that, though.  :/  lol

"Hey Honey look, Buffalo!  Let's follow em!
Come on, don't you want to know where they're going?

There are many Trailers that can be pulled with an SUV.. The old days I towed a 13' Scamp with a Mini-Van (Chevy Lumina APV) but it was the tow limit for that car.  Then I finally towed it to the dealer and drove off in a motor home :).

The 13 foot does not have Toilet or bath however.. the 16 Foot does. and most SUV's should be able to pull it..  Several other small trailers fit the need ad well.. We really liked that little polystyrene bubble.

But the advice is find out how much you can tow. Take 10-20% off that, and go shopping

John From Detroit said:
There are many Trailers that can be pulled with an SUV.. The old days I towed a 13' Scamp with a Mini-Van (Chevy Lumina APV) but it was the tow limit for that car.  Then I finally towed it to the dealer and drove off in a motor home :).

The 13 foot does not have Toilet or bath however.. the 16 Foot does. and most SUV's should be able to pull it..  Several other small trailers fit the need ad well.. We really liked that little polystyrene bubble.

But the advice is find out how much you can tow. Take 10-20% off that, and go shopping

Thank you for this.  :)  My daughter, who is a professional body piercer, plans to travel quite a bit doing the circuit of shops and is of the opinion that a trailer she can pull with an SUV will be perfect for her lifestyle. 

I can't remember why at the moment, other than pricing, but she doesn't want to go the Rialta route, (as my son does).

Personally, I think something like a Rialta would be perfect because they have all the amenities yet are fairly small and compact, comparatively.  Although, I suppose driving one of those might be more difficult than pulling a trailer with an SUV. 

"But the advice is find out how much you can tow. Take 10-20% off that, and go shopping"

I will pass this along to her.  Thank you.  :)

The Rialta has a bit of a cult following, and while I can understand the appeal of the form factor, I have heard that some parts for them are becoming unobtainable, which limits their practicality as a long distance travel RV.

I also like the idea of the fiberglass egg mini trailers, there are several of them on the market with Scamp and Casita probably being the two most popular.  One nice thing about them is that they hold their value far better than most RV's.

Isaac-1 said:
The Rialta has a bit of a cult following, and while I can understand the appeal of the form factor, I have heard that some parts for them are becoming unobtainable, which limits their practicality as a long distance travel RV.

I also like the idea of the fiberglass egg mini trailers, there are several of them on the market with Scamp and Casita probably being the two most popular.  One nice thing about them is that they hold their value far better than most RV's.

I looked up the fiberglass egg mini trailers; they are cute, (some are custom painted), and look to be fairly light and towable. 

Bummer about the Rialta parts.  I think though, that there are some other makes of a similar model that my son can look into when the time comes.  Thank you for the heads up about that and for the post.  :)

We had a Casita, a 17? fiberglass egg trailer. It was a lovely little thing. Very easy to tow and quite resistant to water damage. There are things to get used to (the ?wet? baths area - toilet space shared with the shower), but there are ways to manage that. There are specialty fiberglass forums that provide lots of information about living and modifying them. It was just too small for us for more than 2 weeks at a time though. Very limited storage for clothes and gear.

UTTransplant said:
We had a Casita, a 17? fiberglass egg trailer. It was a lovely little thing. Very easy to tow and quite resistant to water damage. There are things to get used to (the ?wet? baths area - toilet space shared with the shower), but there are ways to manage that. There are specialty fiberglass forums that provide lots of information about living and modifying them. It was just too small for us for more than 2 weeks at a time though. Very limited storage for clothes and gear.

I think the Rialtas have a similar set up for bath/toilet/shower.  It doesn't seem much to give up though for having a shower in such a small space.

My daughter will be on her own in her trailer, well she and the French Bull Dog she wants so very much, so I think the space thing will be less of an issue for her. 

Thank you for this information.  :)  I didn't think about the advantage of fiberglass being more water resistant, but that is a definite plus in the Mid Atlantic Region. 

A couple of sites that you might point your daughter towards:

Becky Schade is a young woman who's been traveling and working from a small fiberglass trailer for several years now.  Your daughter - and possibly even your son - would find her blog very interesting and informative.  Especially about working on the road.

https://interstellarorchard.com/

Also, for fiberglass trailers:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/

Optimistic Paranoid said:
A couple of sites that you might point your daughter towards:

Becky Schade is a young woman who's been traveling and working from a small fiberglass trailer for several years now.  Your daughter - and possibly even your son - would find her blog very interesting and informative.  Especially about working on the road.

https://interstellarorchard.com/

Also, for fiberglass trailers:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/

This is great; thank you so much.  :)  I've emailed the links to my daughter.

I had an idea. If you primarily take long showers due to long hair, what about the possibility of keeping a tote handy to dip your hair in, taking as long as you need, then take a 5-10 min shower to rinse?

In my class C, which I finally measured to find out is only 20 feet bumper to bumper (so its REALLY small), I was planning to remodel the shower for more room. My wife wants a small bathtub and I don't think thats possible in this space. The shower AND toilet have to fit in an approximate 3 foot by 3 foot space.

Therefore, I am thinking about keeping a small inflatable kiddie pool in the camper and replacing our canopy with one that has walls for bathing our kids. They are too big for the sink, so that isn't an option, either.

Having said that, would your hair fit into one of the sinks to prewash?

...a trailer she can pull with an SUV...
"Pull with an SUV" covers a lot of ground. Is the SUV a Honda CRV or a Chevy Suburban?  The trailer weight range across that range is something like 1000 to 8000 lbs.  If she isn't talking about one of the big truck-based SUVs like Suburban, Tahoe or Expedition, I think her lifestyle is going to be quite cramped. Even if she is a minimalist.  By the time you fit a decent bathroom, a comfy bed and even a tiny galley into a trailer, both weight and length outgrow the little weekender trailers. 

Would your daughter maybe consider a van instead of an SUV?  Modern vans like the Ford Transit and Ram Promaster are quite nice to drive and offer plenty of space for the gear an accessories I'm sure she will want to carry with her, plus they are very capable tow vehicles.

cerd said:
I had an idea. If you primarily take long showers due to long hair, what about the possibility of keeping a tote handy to dip your hair in, taking as long as you need, then take a 5-10 min shower to rinse?

In my class C, which I finally measured to find out is only 20 feet bumper to bumper (so its REALLY small), I was planning to remodel the shower for more room. My wife wants a small bathtub and I don't think thats possible in this space. The shower AND toilet have to fit in an approximate 3 foot by 3 foot space.

Therefore, I am thinking about keeping a small inflatable kiddie pool in the camper and replacing our canopy with one that has walls for bathing our kids. They are too big for the sink, so that isn't an option, either.

Having said that, would your hair fit into one of the sinks to prewash?

We don't have our RV yet so I don't know what relationship my hair and the sinks will have.  ;)  -- It's not a bad idea, what you've proposed about a tote or something similar to soak my hair in.  Maybe even a bucket I could pour over my head, in increments, to wet my hair thoroughly.

At this point, if we can't manage an RV with a continuous water heater, I will probably use the showers at the sites for washing my hair.  Still, your thought has merit should we find ourselves boondocking, which will probalby be inevitable at certain points.

Good idea about the kiddie pool and canopy with sides for bathing your kids.  :)

Thank you.  :)

Old_Crow said:
Washing long hair.  Huh, just another thing I don't have to worry about since I got old.  8)
I am old and I can still grow my hair but I now hate washing my hair after it gets about two inches long. Then it is time for a buzz cut. I wish my nose hair and ear hair would stop growing though. ???

SeilerBird said:
I am old and I can still grow my hair but I now hate washing my hair after it gets about two inches long. Then it is time for a buzz cut. I wish my nose hair and ear hair would stop growing though. ???

I've been doing this for my husband for about 20 years, now.  :) 

On a related side story, we are 3 days into a 10 day RV trip, currently at a commercial rv park in Arkansas and last night while my wife was in the shower washing her hair we lost water pressure, I went outside to check to make sure someone had not turned off the faucet, ... and found we only had a trickle of water coming out of the hose,  thankfully we had 20 or so gallons of water in our fresh water tank, and all I had to do was turn on the water pump so could finish washing her hair.  By morning water pressure was back up to normal, still no idea what the issue was.

Isaac-1 said:
On a related side story, we are 3 days into a 10 day RV trip, currently at a commercial rv park in Arkansas and last night while my wife was in the shower washing her hair we lost water pressure, I went outside to check to make sure someone had not turned off the faucet, ... and found we only had a trickle of water coming out of the hose,  thankfully we had 20 or so gallons of water in our fresh water tank, and all I had to do was turn on the water pump so could finish washing her hair.  By morning water pressure was back up to normal, still no idea what the issue was.

So, make sure there is water in the reserve tanks before washing my hair.  Check.  :)  Thank you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom