Possibly an odd question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SeilerBird said:
The GEO system is really unnecessary. All you really need to do is to hold the handle down when you flush for about five seconds. The GEO method is explained here by the guy who invented it:

https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

I have never found the need to flush out the sewer hose with grey water because as soon as you are done flushing then the grey water will still be coming down the pipe every time you use the sink or shower. It does get flushed out, but it happens a bit later. Of course if you dump and then go home that won't happen, but in all my years of RVing I have never worried about it.

I have never heard of Happy Campers so I Googled it and it another worthless product:

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Campers-Organic-Holding-Treatment/dp/B005XEFADU/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1533830720&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=happy+campers+rv+tank+treatment&psc=1

All you really need it water, and that is free.

Okay, thank you for this information and the cites on the systems mentioned.  I will look into them and make notes.  :)

Chameleonxanth said:
If you don't mind the question and have the time, what is the Geo System and Happy Campers?  Further, we should make a habit of holding the handle down when flushing to help to sluice the black tank, when the time comes?

I don't know about the "Geo System" but always make sure you use plenty of water on a flush. Either holding down the flush handle for a couple of extra seconds when flushing, adding some water to the toilet after the flush is complete, or both (my preference). Water is added on a manual toilet by holding down (or lifting up - depends on the design) the flush pedal just enough to get water flowing in without actually flushing again. On electric flush toilets, there is a separate button to add water after (or before) the flush.

This extra water lets some bacterial action take place and keeps the waste solids from drying out, and it also helps the flow when dumping, adding more force to push out the waste. And when you're driving, it sloshes around in the tank and helps to dislodge other stuff.

Larry N. said:
I don't know about the "Geo System" but always make sure you use plenty of water on a flush. Either holding down the flush handle for a couple of extra seconds when flushing, adding some water to the toilet after the flush is complete, or both (my preference). Water is added on a manual toilet by holding down (or lifting up - depends on the design) the flush pedal just enough to get water flowing in without actually flushing again. On electric flush toilets, there is a separate button to add water after (or before) the flush.

This extra water lets some bacterial action take place and keeps the waste solids from drying out, and it also helps the flow when dumping, adding more force to push out the waste. And when you're driving, it sloshes around in the tank and helps to dislodge other stuff.

Holy Cow, you wouldn't think there would be so much to simply flushing out tanks, but there is and this is exactly the kind of valuable information I am hoping to access and assimilate here. 

So, adding extra water to the bowl will, on the next flush, add extra water to the tank facilitating the benefits you mentioned above.  I'm assuming, sans using one of the systems like Geo, et al, we would want to do this on each flush, just make a habit of it and that will likely be sufficient for the purposes of keeping the tank wet enough to dump out cleanly. 

Chameleonxanth said:
Holy Cow, you wouldn't think there would be so much to simply flushing out tanks, but there is and this is exactly the kind of valuable information I am hoping to access and assimilate here. 

So, adding extra water to the bowl will, on the next flush, add extra water to the tank facilitating the benefits you mentioned above.  I'm assuming, sans using one of the systems like Geo, et al, we would want to do this on each flush, just make a habit of it and that will likely be sufficient for the purposes of keeping the tank wet enough to dump out cleanly.
Basically yes. Just use a lot of water and everything will be fine. If all you use is water then there never should be any aroma coming out of the bathroom area. The two times you can most likely get an aroma in the bathroom is when you have a poop pyramid or when the valve under the sink becomes defective. The reason it is so complicated is because it is a closed system. In a S/B house the waste immediately goes into the city sewer system and you do not have to deal with it again. In an RV you must carry it with you and keep it on board for a while. Those of us who have been RVing a long time worked out a long time ago how to keep the toilet smelling fresh and working properly. Nothing like a smelly toilet to make a living hell. It is an ugly subject but one that is totally necessary to keep your sanity while RVing.

The reason some people will tell you that you need the chemicals in your toilet is because the company that makes toilets and holding tanks also sells the blue stuff. They would love to have every RVer buying a bottle of the stuff every month so they include a free sample and a brochure explaining why you need to use the stuff with every RV sold. Of course Thedford doesn't want us telling you that you don't need the stuff. They tell you the stuff is needed to break down the solid waste products so it flows through your RV system smoother. However water is just as good at breaking down the solids.

So, you've got use chemicals and don't use chemicals = do some of your own research and do what you think is best.  I know I've tried all methods and no chemicals = bad smells, quantity indicators out of whack, and an expensive clean out of a clogged tank.  With geo and Happy Campers I have no smell, sensors are pretty accurate, and haven't had a clogged tank.  That is my experience stated as a matter of fact.  BUT, do what you think is best and use trial and error if you'd like, just remember the error part can be expensive!

There are several geo methods.  The one we used was 1/4 cup Dawn dish detergent, 1/2 cup pine sol, 1/2 cup fabric softener poured down the toilet into our 40 gallon black tank.  It worked great for us but as I mentioned, we have found Happy Campers to be less expensive and easier to deal with not to mention less storage space used.

I know it can be frustrating to get contradicting opinions on something so important, but hang in there and you will find what works best for you.

There is no correct way to do this. Many people use chemicals and have no problems. If you used only water and had a smell then you have a problem with a tank that has not been dumped properly.

SeilerBird said:
There is no correct way to do this. Many people use chemicals and have no problems. If you used only water and had a smell then you have a problem with a tank that has not been dumped properly.

Not dumped properly?

SeilerBird said:
Basically yes. Just use a lot of water and everything will be fine. If all you use is water then there never should be any aroma coming out of the bathroom area. The two times you can most likely get an aroma in the bathroom is when you have a poop pyramid or when the valve under the sink becomes defective. The reason it is so complicated is because it is a closed system. In a S/B house the waste immediately goes into the city sewer system and you do not have to deal with it again. In an RV you must carry it with you and keep it on board for a while. Those of us who have been RVing a long time worked out a long time ago how to keep the toilet smelling fresh and working properly. Nothing like a smelly toilet to make a living hell. It is an ugly subject but one that is totally necessary to keep your sanity while RVing.

The reason some people will tell you that you need the chemicals in your toilet is because the company that makes toilets and holding tanks also sells the blue stuff. They would love to have every RVer buying a bottle of the stuff every month so they include a free sample and a brochure explaining why you need to use the stuff with every RV sold. Of course Thedford doesn't want us telling you that you don't need the stuff. They tell you the stuff is needed to break down the solid waste products so it flows through your RV system smoother. However water is just as good at breaking down the solids.

FenderP said:
So, you've got use chemicals and don't use chemicals = do some of your own research and do what you think is best.  I know I've tried all methods and no chemicals = bad smells, quantity indicators out of whack, and an expensive clean out of a clogged tank.  With geo and Happy Campers I have no smell, sensors are pretty accurate, and haven't had a clogged tank.  That is my experience stated as a matter of fact.  BUT, do what you think is best and use trial and error if you'd like, just remember the error part can be expensive!

There are several geo methods.  The one we used was 1/4 cup Dawn dish detergent, 1/2 cup pine sol, 1/2 cup fabric softener poured down the toilet into our 40 gallon black tank.  It worked great for us but as I mentioned, we have found Happy Campers to be less expensive and easier to deal with not to mention less storage space used.

I know it can be frustrating to get contradicting opinions on something so important, but hang in there and you will find what works best for you.

SeilerBird said:

What I'm doing right now is recon, gathering information and learning.  So I actually appreciate the contradictory opinions because I get a better overview and ultimately learn more. 

I'm grateful for the help and information.  :)  :) 

FenderP said:
Not dumped properly?
Yes, many people don't bother to flush their tank out periodically. I installed a Tornado system in mine to keep it super clean.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-Tornado-Rotary-Rinser/dp/B000BUU5TU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533839948&sr=8-1&keywords=tornado+rv+tank+flush

SeilerBird said:
Yes, many people don't bother to flush their tank out periodically. I installed a Tornado system in mine to keep it super clean.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-Tornado-Rotary-Rinser/dp/B000BUU5TU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533839948&sr=8-1&keywords=tornado+rv+tank+flush

At this early stage, with the information I've received thus far (thank you), I'm thinking we will make a habit of releasing extra water into the bowl after flushing, use Happy Campers and the Tornado Rotary Rinser (which is getting good reviews on Amazon).  Better safe.

Am I correct in assuming vinegar, being an acid, is a bad idea when cleaning an RV bathroom?

SeilerBird said:

Yep.  Thanks to you I am sure I am doing it properly.  But if your theory were sound, I would have had no difference in odor without and with chemicals -me and many, many other RV-ers.

On the motor home which is on the move usually
I do not use odor control and it does not smell but when on the road I dump every few days,  Unless I am at a  full hookup place I usually dump  at Flying J or campground AFTER a full day of travel. I think the sloshing breaks up the poop.

I have never had a plugged up tank, I do not have a rinser just pour  pail of water in before shutting valve and I usually think the grey water smells wore than the black water

darsben said:
On the motor home which is on the move usually
I do not use odor control and it does not smell but when on the road I dump every few days,  Unless I am at a  full hookup place I usually dump  at Flying J or campground AFTER a full day of travel. I think the sloshing breaks up the poop.

I have never had a plugged up tank, I do not have a rinser just pour  pail of water in before shutting valve and I usually think the grey water smells wore than the black water

Pour a pail of water in where?

Some people wash their dishes in a dishpan and save the sink for rinsing.  Then, rather than pour it down the sink when they are done, they either pour it straight down the toilet, or save it to pour down the toilet later.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Some people wash their dishes in a dishpan and save the sink for rinsing.  Then, rather than pour it down the sink when they are done, they either pour it straight down the toilet, or save it to pour down the toilet later.

Huh.  I don't know if I have the discipline for that now, but hey, who knows; I'm anticipating a lot of change when my RV Life begins.  :)

Optimistic Paranoid said:
If you want to see something interesting, take a look at this clear tank "black" tank cleaning systems test on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfTd0Slt_cU

It includes a test of the Tornado system SeilerBird mentioned.

So, what I'm concluding after watching this is that the Tornado, used in conjunction with a chemical additive, like Happy Camper is the best way to go in order to be fairly sure the black tank is clean.

I was amused at how excited he was watching the Tornado do its thing, well; boys and their toys.  ;) 

Thank you for this and for alerting me to this guy's videos. 

Back
Top Bottom