2019 Ram 1500 Limited

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott 3

We are very interested in this truck.  The rear seats are supposed to recline and have ample leg room.  This may give us the SUV type family comfort for long trips and truck capabilities.  We are still in the search phase.  I don't know what the yellow sticker will say and if it will be enough for our future TT.  I went by the dealer and the salesmen didn't know anything about it.  They didn't have any in stock yet but they sold one already with a preorder. 

if configured right the payload should be around 1800 to 1900 lbs  and the hemi pulls well. I own a 2016 Laramie and my payload is 1421lbs so with the weight reduction and  the 4100 lb axles the 2019 is a beast.

I beg to differ with Barr.  According to the Ram web site, the Payload for a Crew Cab 2WD Reg bed is only 1880#, then you must subtract the weight of the options.  The Limited is very well equipped, so it will likely have a yellow placard payload of 1200 - 1300 pounds.  Deduct another 150# for a 4WD model.  My Ford has over 500 lbs of options.

Remember, Payload must include the weight of all passengers and their "stuff" in the cab and the trailer tongue wt and 80# for a WD hitch, plus anything carried in the bed.

Looked today at the 2019 Laramie and Limited, Hemi V8, etorque, air bag suspension, tow package, 4x4.  Reported to have a 2k load and 12k towing capacity.  Not ready to pull the trigger yet but definitely liked what we saw.  If the 2500 came with reclining rear seat it would be a game changer.

We are leaning towards the Outdoor RV 24RLS.  I believe the GVWR is 9995. 

Reported to and actual are usually quite different.
1500 series trucks have come a long way in the last couple years and we see more and more people thinking that they can pull anything . Saw a guy 3 days ago in sturgis sd with a grand design 5 er behind a very very broken 2016 f250 as he was way over the trucks capabilities. Asked why he picked that truck to pull that trailer. He said brochure said he could pull 18000 lbs must have forgotten the rest lol. Never did find out exactly was was wrong with the guys 250 he was pretty mad and stuck with the broken truck but he said he was shopping for a 350 and thats the last thing he needed while on vacation

I have a friend that towed a 25 foot ocean-going cabin cruiser boat on a trailer,  from San Jose Ca to Joplin MO. .....with an older Toyota Tacoma.

Every Highway Patrol officer that stopped him told him to  "please",  carefully drive this out of their state.

(as a non-commercial driver)  You can successfully tow almost anything,  with almost any car or truck...  if you take your time.

If the 2500 came with reclining rear seat it would be a game changer.
The reclining rear seat is a cab feature on the 1500 Limited's crew cab. Are you saying a crew cab 2500 doesn't have that feature? Even as an option?    There is a 2500 Limited trim package - does it not have the recliner?

Looked today at the 2019 Laramie and Limited, Hemi V8, etorque, air bag suspension, tow package, 4x4.  Reported to have a 2k load and 12k towing capacity.
When you looked, did you open the driver door and look at the Tire and Capacity placard on the door frame? It would have told you exactly how much that particular truck can carry (payload of CCC). No brochure funny-stuff, specific data for that particular truck.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
look at the Tire and Capacity placard on the door frame? It would have told you exactly how much that particular truck (tire) can carry, (payload of CCC).

Yes, that is the max weight that vehicle (with those tires) is designed and warranted to carry under average driving conditions by the manufacture.  But it can actually structurally safely exceed that amount for a limited time and under certain conditions. 

As far as the law goes,  the Yellow sticker can be removed from a private vehicle, you can legally modify any "non-commercial use vehicle" to carry any load you want.  You can cut the frame, extend it, add axles if you want, (as done on many motorhomes)  Only if it is viewed as an unsafe vehicle by a cop is it ever considered "Illegal". (usually enforced by tire limits).  A commercial truck is different, the registered weight limit is the max limit, anything over that you can not drive it on the roads. (for tax reasons, not safety)

Tire load rating is the most important thing, (remember the Ford Explorer fiasco ?)  Change the wheels tires, add overload springs etc... and you can (legally) improve your safe load carrying ability.  (in conjunction with good driving skills  :) ).

Why buy a 3500 series pickup truck, when it would be nice to have one for a 2 week vacation every year ?

Thats like saying nothing is illegal unless you get caught while technically true not the most sound advise especially if something does go wrong

steveblonde said:
Thats like saying nothing is illegal unless you get caught while technically true not the most sound advise especially if something does go wrong

actually the only thing you can get "caught" for is improper tire weight limits,  or unsafe operation of a vehicle.

Larger vehicles require a more of a common sense operation,  over just some fixed limiting mathematical figure. 

The Yellow sticker is the "suggested" max load.  you can modify the truck to do whatever you want,  the yellow sticker is not the weight limiting law they enforce on non commercial vehicles.

sightseers said:
actually the only thing you can get "caught" for is improper tire weight limits,  or unsafe operation of a vehicle.

Larger vehicles require a more of a common sense operation,  over just some fixed limiting mathematical figure. 

The Yellow sticker is a "suggested" max load.  it not the law as they enforce it.

That is 100 % wrong they can and will scale you in Idaho i know that for a fact also in BC and they WILL pull you off the road i cant speak for other states as i dont know and those pkaces that dont will in the foreable future as legislation is in the works as we speak

steveblonde said:
That is 100 % wrong they can and will scale you in Idaho i know that for a fact also in BC and they WILL pull you off the road i cant speak for other states as i dont know and those pkaces that dont will in the foreable future as legislation is in the works as we speak

I have a friend that his truck was hit and the whole cab quarter panel was replaced and repainted....no more yellow sticker at all.

is he going to have his truck taken away in Canada ?

In bc they can and will send you and your rig to a government scale, if your found exceding any of your vehicles weight limitations, you should expect to recieve all applicable tickets and have your vehicle parked until your weight limits have been corrected(ie: show up with an appropriate tow vehicle).  If you are over weight on an axle and your gvwr, you would get both tickets.  If your only over on an axle but a load adjustment gets you within paramaters, it may just be a ticket, then a load adjustment before they clear you to go. 

I have a few friends that have had to deal with them towing, but Ive never actually seen the RCMP do this.

and, what would they do if you put 1 ton dually axles under a 1500 truck ? or what if you put a 1500 cab on to a 5 ton truck?

Arrest you ? 

in America you can take your car or truck and modify it to do or tow anything you want.  Our government does not stop you from changing up your car or truck. The aftermarket parts industry here in America is huge.

Logger Joe said:
In bc they can and will send you and your rig to a government scale, if your found exceding any of your vehicles weight limitations, you should expect to recieve all applicable tickets and have your vehicle parked until your weight limits have been corrected(ie: show up with an appropriate tow vehicle).  If you are over weight on an axle and your gvwr, you would get both tickets.  If your only over on an axle but a load adjustment gets you within paramaters, it may just be a ticket, then a load adjustment before they clear you to go. 

I have a few friends that have had to deal with them towing, but Ive never actually seen the RCMP do this.

Ive seen them do in Idaho where i has to rescue a friend and in BC ive heard they do it in Ontario cant confirm and some other states have proposed legislation due to law suits pending?

sightseers said:
and, what would they do if you put 1 ton dually axles under a 1500 truck ? or what if you put a 1500 cab on to a 5 ton truck?

Arrest you ? 

here in America you can take your car or truck and modify it to do or tow anything you want.

You woukd still be able to do that no issue so long ad you can prove its done properly no one is saying you cant only saying it must be done within regulated perameters to ensure safety regs are met

Its really no different than smog emmissions - if you do a dpf delete you need to proof it passes the tests ie California is a great example

here in America I once had a 26k GVW commercial truck  De-rated to 18K GWV...just so my wife could drive it on a regular drivers license.  when ever I went through scales it would be redlighted at anything over 18k. even though the truck could go 26k.

Those Yellow stickers are there to establish the manufacture's vehicle and tire warrantys...    they were never intended to be used as a maximum vehicle Highway weight limit. 

once you put on a set of shiny new aftermarket wheels and tires on your new pickup truck, ....the yellow sticker is no longer of any legal value.

Sightseers,

YOU may do anything you want to your vehicle and believe anything you want about the legal implications. PLEASE DO NOT  encourage others to do the same!!!  That yellow placard does NOT say unless you want to ignore this label.  It says the weight of all passengers and cargo SHALL NOT EXCEED...  Granted, in most states in non commercial use, you will not be arrested for violating this.  Clearly, in Idaho and BC, it WILL get you in legal hot water.

Note also that if you exceed the yellow placard, by definition, you also exceed GVWR.  You must also endorse overloading the truck GVWR.

THE LAWS OF PHYSICS DO NOT CHANGE.

as I pointed out before.    (here in America) You can remove the yellow sticker from your vehicle.

The DOT Yellow sticker is not required by law to be on any privately operated vehicle after it's been sold. It's your truck, you have the right to remove all model emblems and repaint the door jams.

here in America....if I feel my 1/2 ton truck will not comfortably carry the weight of my homemade RV trailer,  I can just add another rear axle or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom