Harmonicas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MN Blue Skies

Site Team
I was just purging some of my stuff and came across my old harmonica.  In the 60's and 70's I played guitar and harmonica ... folk music and ballads. I'm not up to trying to learn the guitar again but maybe the harmonica.  Would harmonica players be welcome around the campfire or is that too blas?

I think a harmonica around the campfire is enjoyable. Go for it!

Thanks kdgoat for the encouragement. Is there anyone on the Forum who can give me guidance on buying a new harmonica or harmonicas?

A harp would go well -- mixes fine with most other instruments, and sounds nice.

Is there anyone on the Forum who can give me guidance on buying a new harmonica or harmonicas?

I picked up a three harp set, Hoodoo Blues, by Hohner that are much less expensive than the Blues or Marine harps, but sound about as good (to my ears, anyway). It has a C, G and D included. They have another 7 harp set (Piedmont Blues), but they are harder to play and (to me at least) don't sound as good. Of course they're still quite usable. They DO come in a very nice case, however.  ::)

Larry N. said:
A harp would go well -- mixes fine with most other instruments, and sounds nice.

I picked up a three harp set, Hoodoo Blues, by Hohner that are much less expensive than the Blues or Marine harps, but sound about as good (to my ears, anyway). It has a C, G and D included. They have another 7 harp set (Piedmont Blues), but they are harder to play and (to me at least) don't sound as good. Of course they're still quite usable. They DO come in a very nice case, however.  ::)

When you 1st used the word "harp" I could not I envision anyone pulling out this huge harp and playing music around a campfire.  :eek: ::) :-[ :)( ;) These things stand 5' tall and more. So I googled it and came up with this:

The term harp is short for "blues harp" and they are both slang for harmonica. Yes, it is a bit confusing at times when people use the term "harp" to refer to the harmonica since there is another instrument called harp that is used in classical music (and made popular in the movies by one of the Marx Bros).

Here is the harmonica that you should buy. It is the most expensive harmonica on the Internet. Anything else is just a low priced piece of junk used only by amateurs.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Suzuki/SC-128-Tremolo-Chromatic-Harmonica-RANGE-C-D4-1274228067814.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnZXbBRC8ARIsABEYg6AcrHZHJj7Rzp6Hl1qBWrEFnaK7BMStHnX6vt2YjEpVpLR3mXvcrAkaArJKEALw_wcB&kwid=productads-adid^78244844802-device^c-plaid^140837317941-sku^1274228067814@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

SeilerBird said:
Here is the harmonica that you should buy. It is the most expensive harmonica on the Internet. Anything else is just a low priced piece of junk used only by amateurs.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Suzuki/SC-128-Tremolo-Chromatic-Harmonica-RANGE-C-D4-1274228067814.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnZXbBRC8ARIsABEYg6AcrHZHJj7Rzp6Hl1qBWrEFnaK7BMStHnX6vt2YjEpVpLR3mXvcrAkaArJKEALw_wcB&kwid=productads-adid^78244844802-device^c-plaid^140837317941-sku^1274228067814@ADL4GC-adType^PLA
I would order one of these right now, except I'm on a 'Buy American' kick. :D

I can save 20% if I order by August 8!

SeilerBird said:

Harpo Marx played the harp, harmonica, piano, and clarinet.  He didn't do any vocals.  :eek:  ;)

Harmonicas are used in classical music.  (Buddy Greene)

The term harp is short for "blues harp" and they are both slang for harmonica. Yes, it is a bit confusing at times when people use the term "harp" to refer to the harmonica since there is another instrument called harp that is used in classical music (and made popular in the movies by one of the Marx Bros).
[/quote]

I started taking harmonica lessons when I was 10 years old so let's see that makes my old harmonica over x7 years old.  I'm going to splurge and buy the same type of harmonica that I learned on; one of the Hohner Marine series in Key C.

I haven't told poor DH Eric yet.  ;D

MN Blue Skies said:
I started taking harmonica lessons when I was 10 years old so let's see that makes my old harmonica over x7 years old.  I'm going to splurge and buy the same type of harmonica that I learned on; one of the Hohner Marine series in Key C.

I haven't told poor DH Eric yet.  ;D

Max, anything wrong with the old one? Do they go bad after many years of non-use?

The term harp is short for "blues harp"

"Mouth harp" is also a slang term for a harmonica. Charlie McCoy sells a DVD titled "Beginning Country Harp" -- Hohner sells a "blues harp." Harmonicas are also known as mouth organs and French harps.

Yes, it is a bit confusing at times when people use the term "harp" to refer to the harmonica since there is another instrument called harp that is used in classical music
In context it is not usually confusing, but I can see that might be true for someone not used to country, blues and several other genres that make a lot of use of the harmonica. Since that designation has been around much longer than I've been alive, I don't see a change coming soon.

Let's add Jews Harp (a single reed instrument) to the confusion, too.

BTW, harp is far from the only confusing word around -- try "stall." Many people use it when a car engine quits. In aviation it describes a certain condition with loss of lift, having nothing to do with the engine -- even a glider can stall. It is also used as a substitute for delay. And horses have their "stalls" too.

One of the guitar players in our uke band plays harmonica quite effectively on some tunes. He has several harmonicas tuned differently, although he occasionally plays the wrong one.

When we have weekly uke practice, we have to play the "harmonica numbers" before the cookie break, otherwise his instrument tubes get clogged with bits of cookie  :eek:

Tom said:
One of the guitar players in our uke band plays harmonica quite effectively on some tunes. He has several harmonicas tuned differently, although he occasionally plays the wrong one.

When we have weekly uke practice, we have to play the "harmonica numbers" before the cookie break, otherwise his instrument tubes get clogged with bits of cookie :eek:
I thought that's what beer was meant for...clean the pipes. Rinse, swallow, repeat.

Lemonade might cause a sticky mess in the tubes  ???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom