Harmonicas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like harmonicas, but I never have tried playing one. I played string (violin, guitar), piano, and oboe, but never a harmonica. I prefer the piano and guitar because I can sing at the same time! I still haven?t discovered my guitar instruction books after the move, and I am determined to re-learn it.

Max, the next time we get together we will find a guitar player and do a trio!

LOL.

Tom said:
One of the guitar players in our uke band plays harmonica quite effectively on some tunes. He has several harmonicas tuned differently, although he occasionally plays the wrong one.

When we have weekly uke practice, we have to play the "harmonica numbers" before the cookie break, otherwise his instrument tubes get clogged with bits of cookie  :eek:

UTTransplant said:
I really like harmonicas, but I never have tried playing one. I played string (violin, guitar), piano, and oboe, but never a harmonica. I prefer the piano and guitar because I can sing at the same time!

Pam with your musical talent learning the harmonica would be a piece of cake. However, I agree you should use your exquisite voice instead of playing a harmonica.

UTTransplant said:
Max, the next time we get together we will find a guitar player and do a trio!

Hey Pam, sure you betcha!  LOL.  I will need time to relearn the harmonica.  I still remember how to play "Way down upon the Swanee River" and "House of the Rising Sun." (I can't believe I confessed to that.) 

I just ordered a Hohner but it won't get here until Aug. 15.  :(  I'm used to instant gratification.  I don't know if I could deal with the pressure of a trio. Maybe Larry would meet up with us and play his guitar?

Rene T said:
Max, anything wrong with the old one? Do they go bad after many years of non-use?

Rene, harmonicas can get out of tune just like most instruments.  My old harmonica is hard to tune plus it has a dent in it.  I don't remember how the dent got there but the harmonica has been around the block a few times.  My new harmonica will be much easier to tune and clean.  However, I don't think that means I should eat cookies before playing it. 

I bought a cheap set of 10 harmonicas (all different keys) a few years back, after first buying a few Hohners in certain keys that I played casually and enjoyed. I haven't devoted enough time to the instrument to learn note-bending yet though, which is how you can really sound cool on the harp. ;)

There might be some good YouTube beginner instructional videos available... I ran across some a few years back, but most were limited and intended to have the viewer subscribe/buy the complete lessons.

MN Blue Skies said:
Rene, harmonicas can get out of tune just like most instruments.  My old harmonica is hard to tune plus it has a dent in it.  I don't remember how the dent got there but the harmonica has been around the block a few times.  My new harmonica will be much easier to tune and clean.  However, I don't think that means I should eat cookies before playing it.

Did you use it on Eric instead of a tolling rolling pin?  :( :'( ;D 

MN Blue Skies said:
I started taking harmonica lessons when I was 10 years old so let's see that makes my old harmonica over x7 years old.  I'm going to splurge and buy the same type of harmonica that I learned on; one of the Hohner Marine series in Key C.

I haven't told poor DH Eric yet.  ;D
Yep, you can't go wrong with that one.

I am maybe not the one to ask.  I think that you should get back to playing....

I have been playing harmonicas for a while.  I have often played for others and often been told it was enjoyed.  One of the big reasons I have played harmonica all my life (I do play other things too) is that it is something that can survive in an seabag that gets thrown aboard as you jump.  I am a waterman (have always been) and so that dictates many things. 

If you get out the harp and someone objects, just put it away or go someplace else. 

I play both marine band in several keys, but always carry a chromatic.  The seabag harps have always been chromatics.  I still have an play my original 64, it has been tuned twice and some reeds may not tune again.  I will keep it because it has been so much a part of my life.  It fortunately was not one of two that were lost with vessels.

Even as I am now retired and not likely to do the throw and jump again (ever), that is part of me.

So, play on and enjoy yourself. 

Matt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom