Adirondacks to the UP via Ontario

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Compadre

I'm thinking of heading west for a month to Glacier NP via North Dakota, month of September.  Most routes tell me to go down to Cleveland, Chicago, up through Wis,Minn. and to North Dakota and west, approx 2500 miles.  I set a route through Ontario , crossing in Cornwall NY and coming back to the US via the Upper Peninsula.  Its about 150 miles shorter and I've always wanted to see the UP.  I don't like the idea of driving the northern edge of Ohio into Ill and up, but don't know what I'm in for driving through Ontario.  Would likely have to spend a night in Ontario, suggestions welcome.  Are there tolls and any headaches?  I know about gas prices but wouldn't have to buy too much there.

Thanks

It's just fine.  The UP is beautiful and Michigan has nice state parks, not to mention neat places to see.  Carrying your passport near the border is always a good idea in case you want to make a last minute sightseeing visit across the border.  The locks at Sault Saint Marie are neat if you get near there and there's a campground right at the locks so you get to watch all the freighters move up and down in elevation.  Mackinaw Island also is in that area.  We had a really great harbor tour at Duluth and were lucky to see several lake freighters being loaded.  They also have an old freighter open to visitors.  It just depends on how far north or south you want to go.

ArdraF

You have me totally confused.  I think you mean cross at Cornwall Ontario, then back into the US at Sault Ste Marie.  If that is the case, you will not/should not travel on the 401, you would go up the 416 to Ottawa, then west on HWY 417.  It has been a few years, but that is considered Trans Canada Highway and is/was well maintained.  There are lots of Campsites along the way, and a few scenic detours.  The drive along the Ottawa River is scenic.  The Big Nickle in Sudbury is worth a stop, as is a drive onto Manitoulin Island.  Both Sault ON and Sioux MI are nice, and the Mackinac Bridge and Island are special.  We haven't spent a lot of time in the UP, but it is a quaint drive, not sure about availability of gas though. You won't have any difficulty with the drive.

Ed

From Cornwall he could take the 401 through  Toronto to London and then the 402 to Port Huron.
Why anyone in their right mind would willing drive through  Toronto if they can avoid it is beyond me.
I might do it early Sunday Morning.
I do the run from Niagara Falls to the 402 and like crossing a Port Huron more than Detroit.

By going that way you are going to drive through the crazy Toronto $01 traffic, plus Chicago, which can be almost as bas, and the Twin Cities, which can be heavy at times.  Also, you add about 300 miles.  The Trans Canada route is almost straight west from Cornwall, not much by way of heavy traffic, and much more scenic.

Ed

Ed,

You're right, the route is from Cornwall Ontario to the Trans Canada to Sault ST Marie, nowhere near Toronto. We've camped in Canada quite a bit, but all has been to the east, Quebec and the Maritimes.  Have never been west,so was just asking about any pratfalls such as border holdups or tolls.  All things being equal, seems a no brainer to travel that route vs going down to Ohio and around,too many big cities.  And, its 150 miles shorter.  Thanks to all for the replies.

Any recommended camp spots while on that stretch of the Trans Canada?  Probably looking to stop an hour or 2 west of Ottawa.

We have stayed at the Sid Turcotte Park in Mattawa a couple of times.  It is  abasic campground, right along the river, but it is about 200 miles west of Ottawa.  Here is their website:
http://sidturcottepark.com/
Ed

Ed,

Thanks so much, looks perfect.  Almost 400 miles from me, but when you leave from home you start early.  And, right above the Algonquin Park which I've heard a lot of good things about. 

Thanks again

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom