Channels on DTV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernieD

We have a satellite dome with DirecTV. When we activated, we submitted the RV waiver which permitted us to receive the national network feeds in place of local stations. I have just noticed a new channel on the program guide-CW 385 which I cannot receive. When I called to find out why, I was told I needed a new waiver for that channel as my original waiver only covered the national network feeds and not this channel. The representative is sending a new waiver which should enable both CW and PBS, which also has not been available on my original waiver.

Bernie,

Since Tim and I just moved out of our house and will be living full time in the coach until the new house is built, I sent in the request for Distant Network Services. about 6 weeks ago.  We finally have everything set up and get CBC, NBC and ABC west along with PBS.  I see the CW stations, but we don't get that one either.  I'm pretty sure I filled out the new request form, because it's only been a few weeks, so I wonder what Direct TV is talking about?  Also, what is CW?  I don't even know.

I have another question about Distant Network Services.  If I travel to the east coast, will we get the east coast feed?  I asked to have both east and west feed; but DTV told me because I live in California, I could only get the west coast.  I'm wondering if I would have told them that I was a fulltime, we could have received both. 

Marsha~

With Distant Network Services you get what you requested.. I think CW is used to be WB .. Hold on I'll check. No, WB is now "My TV'  CW used to be UPN. 

These alphabet soup network name changes are enough to make one dizzy

If you subscribe only to west coast feeds then it don't matter if you are on Cape Cod or the Oregon Coast. You get west coast feeds.  Same if you subscribe to east coast feeds.  You get the one you pay for.

One thing you can ask Direc to do is hide the channels you don't get.  Or so the sales rep told me

(Will know more next week I hope)

Marsha,

I can't answer the question about CW but with the RV declaration, you should be able to get both the east and west coast DNS.  I don't understand what CA has to do with it unless you didn't file the right form.  The form is for an RV and you also submit a copy of the RV registration or title.  Are you sure you didn't file a form for an unserved CA location?

The DNS channels are available across the country, so even if they don't give you the East coast channels, you'll still get the West coast ones.

When we filed back in late March, I did as Ned describes and got both East & West feeds (and our residence and vehicle registration is Florida). Using the DTV Mobile Vehicle Declaration, there is nothing that  specifies East or West channels and we got them all without doing or asking anything further.

Marsha

When we filed our request 5 years ago, we automatically got both the east and west coast network feeds. I think now the two have been separated for billing purposes, so now you can get either or both. It sounds like the Dish problems made DTV more strict on their services and they said that they are required to now submit a new separate request for CW and PBS, for me at least at this time, and I have to make a request of them for each of the additional channels I want the waiver to apply to. There may be more available but unless I see The Shield or some other program that I am interested in  ??? ??? ???on their schedule, I don't know to ask.

Thanks everyone,

I'm getting the feeling you kinda get whatever the DTV agent you talk to knows how to apply.  ;) ;)  I kept getting different answers each time I called. 

Bernie, I'm wondering if you call back and get another agent, you might just get the CW program without having to resubmit the form.

Most of our problems have been because I was trying to be on the ball and set this stuff up before we actually moved out of the house.  Called and made the arrangement telling them, "don't change things over until ..." and they promptly switched everything any way.  Our home receiver was bounced off and we were parked with the motorhome in a tree area, so that wasn't working.  I was back and forth with DTV for several days.  Finally said screw it, I gotta get packed to move.  Once we got settled up here, I had time to sit on the phone for nearly an hour, but we are up and running now; except for the east coast feeds.

Gary, thanks for the link.  That is the form I submitted and even got a letter from them saying that we qualified and to call and set everything up.

I also was told by a couple of agents, that instead of offering a package deal anymore, you pay, I think it was, $1.50 per channel.

My only problem with not having east coast feeds, is that when we are on the east coast, west coast shows will be on very very late.  Maybe I'll call again and get another agent and try to add the east coast channels. ::)

Marsha~

There is something definitely wrong.  If you filed the affidavit that Gary pointed to then you should get both east and west coast networks.  They're combined and billed like this (from our latest DTV bill):

06/14 07/13 Network: CBS from NYC/LA Monthly  2.25
06/14 07/13 Network: NBC from NYC/LA Monthly  2.25
06/14 07/13 Network: ABC from NYC/LA Monthly  2.25
06/14 07/13 Network: FOX from NYC/LA Monthly  2.25

One charge of $2.25 for each network, both coasts.  I believe PBS adds a $1.50, don't know what CW costs as we haven't added that channel to our service.

Marsha

Bernie, I'm wondering if you call back and get another agent, you might just get the CW program without having to resubmit the form.

Talked to another this morning. Same answer.

We kind of like having both the east and west coast feeds. This gives us 6 hours of prime time to chose from (not really gaining much there :p) so we have the chance to see two programs that are programmed against each other. While we aren't billed by channel, just east coast and west coast networks, it comes out about the same as Ned's breakdown.

MarshaLassen/CA said:
.......We finally have everything set up and get CBC.....
Marsha~

How did you get CBC??  ??? ??? ???

I would love to get it so I could watch Hockey Night in Canada!  ;D ;D ;D

When Peg and I lived in Alaska we watched CBC more than we did the US networks. Much better programing and the news was 1000% better.

Back
Top Bottom