Dead Battery in Tow Regularly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caralex

Hi People.
We are flat towing a 2018 Chevy Equinox AWD with a Blue Ox system. Regularly its DOA. We have talked to Blue Ox and GMC but they have no clue. We are following the instructions from chevy leaving fob in car etc etc.  Any advice? Many thanks!

You can add a Toad Charge to try to alleviate the problem (or make a similar charge line yourself).

http://www.lslproducts.net/ToadChargePage.html

GM has made mistakes about what fuses to pull before - it took them several months of my complaints before they figured out they got it wrong on my 2007 Acadia. The system as it came out of the factory wasn't wired the way the engineers thought it would be (production line changes got approved without the original engineers input). Then the following year it got changed again, so similar problem in subsequent model-years.  Too many cooks stirring the pot.

Mine got solved when a helpful service advisor 3000 miles from home took it on as a personal challenge.  He had a contact at GMC engineering staff and got the guy on the phone while he tested my new car with a voltmeter to show what was really happening. They figured it out in 2 hours, but it took GM months to make the change official.

We had the same dead-battery problem with the Acura MDX we used to tow, because the ignition key had to be in the Run position when it was being towed. Pulling fuses worked, but in the end, installing a small regulated battery charger was the best solution for us - no more fuse-pulling.

This is the one I installed  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YCXSK58 We tow an '06 Jeep now, and I installed the same charger in it, because, like the Acura, the Jeep's key has to be in the Run position while it's being towed. Not all Jeeps are like that, but ours is. They're easy to install, and they work very well.

Kev

I had a problem with the battery on my Toad going dead while towing.  I had a charging unit installed and the battery still went dead.  I finally had a cut off switch for the accessory fuse installed, and now everything works great.  The only problem is the aux break system needs 12 volts and the accessory fuse controls the 12 volt outlets so I am going to have to install an always hot 12 volt outlet somewhere. :-[

Back
Top Bottom