best for flat towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadyg

Hello, I am sure this topic has been beat to death and maybe someone can just point me in the right direction for previous comments.
I have a 2014 28 ft. Thor freedom elite that I would like to purchase a dingy for. My  current vehicles are to big so I would be trading in my Wifes daily driver (ford expedition) on this vehicle. The  new vehicle would have to be big enough for two adults, two kids and two medium/large dogs. Oh and she wants an automatic transmission and new or just a couple years old. For me it begins and ends with a jeep wrangler. Am I missing something?
I appreciate any and all comments.

There are alot of vehicles that can be towed. Good Sam has a dingy towing guide that list several vehicles and what you will need to get started. Jeeps have always been a good option but there are many more now. We pull a Grand Cherokee. I had a Wrangler unlimited and hated the rough ride. Just my personal opinion though.

http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php 

Remco will tell you about every car's ability to be towed 4 down or how to make it towable 4 down.

Thanks I am looking for suggestions on vehicles in this size. Any thoughts?

New only, or is used ok?  The towable possibilities change from tear to year, sometimes dramatically.  You  also need to get the tow rating for your Freedom Elite to establish the upper limit on toad weight. It's probably 5000 lbs, but some are a bit less, e.g. 4000. Even 4000 lbs still gives you plenty of choices.

Many people find an SUV a good choice for a toad. They are available in many sizes and price ranges and offer good creature comforts up front coupled with gear stowage in the back. Honda CRVs were very popular until Honda changed transmission in 2015 and they became non-towable. Some other popular SUV  choices include the GMC Terrain, Chevy Equinox,  Ford Fiesta & Flex, and the Jeep Cherokee 4WD. Not all years of each are towable, however.
There are some small & midsize sedan choices as well, and pick-up trucks too (4wd models). You need to have an idea of what type of vehicle you (and your wife, if it's to be her dailydriver!) would prefer to narrow down the search better.

Dinghy tow guides: http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

My wife and I are towing a Chevy HHR. Most if not all of the newer Chevrolet SUVs can be flat towed.  Not that the HHR is a SUV or a Jeep for that matter, you can surly take it a lot of places!
The photo was taken by my wife while we were driving the White Rim Road in Canyon lands UT. Should have seen the faces of the folks riding around in the back of rented Jeeps!

Attachments

• IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 32
Gary RV_Wizard said:
Some other popular SUV  choices include the GMC Terrain, Chevy Equinox,  Ford Fiesta & Flex, and the Jeep Cherokee 4WD. Not all years of each are towable, however.

Most versions of the 2018 Equinox are no longer flat towable.  That includes any model with the new 10-speed transmission. 

Don't forget that quite a few other vehicles can be towed if you don't mind driving a manual transmission. Not all stick shift vehicles can be flat towed but most can be.

Some versions of the 2018 Ford Edge are flat towable.  I just bought one. It's in the shop right now getting a baseplate installed.
We buy new cars every 10 to 12 years and this likely will be the last.

First, be aware of the "death wobble" in toads equipped with electric power assisted steering (ESP), which is described in the "Cherokee Steering" thread. Second, will everyone in your party be tall enough to comfortably get into and out of a Wrangler or other high vehicle?

Oldedit said:
First, be aware of the "death wobble" in toads equipped with electric power assisted steering (ESP), which is described in the "Cherokee Steering" thread.

Not all toads equipped with electric power steering have this problem.  It's my understanding that it is a Cherokee problem. My CR-V has electric power-assisted steering and doesn't suffer from this issue.

Freedom Elite 28z here.  It has a 5,000# hitch and we tow a 2006 Honda CRV.....tows very well and hardly knows it's back there

My 2007 Saturn Vue had electric assisted steering as well. I towed it for 11 years and 50,000 miles without a problem.

Note that we have a lifted JK and I have a weak hip and sore knees. The Jeeps are much easier for me to get in than my Azera was. I also find full size pickups easier. The additional step up is easily offset by the tall door. The only way to know is to try the vehicle in question.

Ernie

Great suggestions! This gives me some ideas and I appreciate everyone's responses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom