Pesky Bird Prevention

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hi,

For the better part of 6 months now me and this stupid bird have gone back and forth.  He gets on my truck CB antenna and craps all over the side of my truck.  So i tried grease, vaseline, pull ties, hoses, and other things to make it so he cant pirch up there, yet he always finds a way past my clever devices and in two days or less he is back up there again.  I dont want to hurt him or kill him but i am running out of options here. 

Today i decided to google the issue to see if maybe there was some kind of electronic device to do this job.  I ran accross this halarious video, i cant stop laughing... soooooo funny. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ii7-q7DWdQ

Does anyone know what i might try to keep this bird away from my truck, other than removing the antenna?

They make plastic owls just for this. Put the owl on a suction cup or magnetic mount, put on the truck when not using it, and remove before driving. You would probably get a lot of comments from neighbors!

UTTransplant said:
They make plastic owls just for this. Put the owl on a suction cup or magnetic mount, put on the truck when not using it, and remove before driving. You would probably get a lot of comments from neighbors!
They are correct. Here is one that Amazon sells:

https://www.amazon.com/Galashield-Scarecrow-Fake-Decoy-Rotating/dp/B079JYN1GZ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1533560025&sr=8-3&keywords=owl+decoy

I was driving along one fine day in Minnesota and I spotted an owl on top of a telephone pole. I pulled over and took a few shots of him and then I noticed he wasn't moving. Turned out to be a decoy. Boy was I embarrassed.  :-[

Or some shiny foil ribbon used for wrapping presents - a couple of 12" streamers in the wind may dissuade them

Sun2Retire said:
Or some shiny foil ribbon used for wrapping presents - a couple of 12" streamers in the wind may dissuade them

Non-metallic, since it's an antenna, and you don't want to change its characteristics.

I don't know how much you need, length-wise, but this is usually pretty effective. I'd imagine that you could probably whip up something similar with some ingenuity, as well...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bird-X-Bird-Repelling-Spikes-3-Wide-x-1-Long/757338813

We buy plastic owls with rotating heads at Star Nursery to keep the birds away from the patio.  I put pebbles in the bottom (it opens) to add weight so they don't tip over.  I saw one recently that was more of a whirly gig that someone was flying off their roof.  He was flying in the breeze.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
We buy plastic owls with rotating heads

I?ve gone by those displays in hardware stores, and giggle every time. I imagine the birds have one of two reactions:
  • ?OMG it?s the Excorcist owl, let?s get out of here!!?
  • ?Heeeyyy wait a minute, his head goes all the way around...!?
;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom