Lower 48

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RVMommaTo6 said:
JD, Broken Road is my song to my kids. I had kids years ago, got them as babies, it was supposed to be an adoptive placement, had them for 3 years and then they were unexpectedly sent back to their birth parents. I didn't even get to say goodbye, they went and picked them up from preschool and kindergarten. At the time, I didn't think could possibly go on. But that painful road led to me being the mom to my kids.

Jackie, I saw Bryan Adams in concert!

Momma,

As a adopted kid, I salute your spirit.  For me I hit the Lottery in Life, just showing up to the game!  You will never know what your helping hand means to those kids.  Some things can't be put into words.

Here is my Bryan Adams shares x3....We were in Beautiful Naples, Italy, 94-97 doing a hitch with the US Army. 

Saw BA for the first time at a Placed Called Palatartanope, in Naples Italy.  I looked at it on google maps much more permanent looking now.  In 1995 it was just a Big Tent where everybody stood on the Ground with a elevated stage.  He played Full Band Electric.

Link to where I use to live to the event.  BTW I would open my door and look at Mt Vesivius on the Horizon.  Far enough away to enjoy the view though  ;D

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Castel+Volturno,+Province+of+Caserta,+Italy/Palapartenope,+Via+Corrado+Barbagallo,+115,+80125+Napoli+NA,+Italy/@40.9295099,13.9201724,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x133b1f1ec683b95b:0x7f16573b87e89e1f!2m2!1d13.9422848!2d41.0347852!1m5!1m1!1s0x133b0eea99cfe7e3:0xe99219322118092f!2m2!1d14.1778297!2d40.820922?hl=en

Saw BA second time in San Antonio, December 2012, Bare Bones Tour.  Him playing acoustic Guitar and a Piano Player only and it was a GREAT Show.  We were at Tony Roma's, having some fake BBQ, on the Riverwalk about 3 hours before the show.  Walking in the crowd and my wife said, that was Bryan Adams, and he smiled at me.  I was like nawww.  Anyway later when the Piano Player walked on the Stage with Bryan I immediately recognized his face from the Riverwalk.  I did lock eyes with the piano player though...I would have shirt collared BA for a pic if I would have seen him.

Google: Majestic Theater / copy...Great Place to see a show...2200 people event capacity...

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x865c5f5344649c7d%3A0x474441f284e3a77d!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNEI8Lbqyj6g1Iw9YJQA1XXipJ85rpzVShOrk-L%3Dw240-h160-k-no!5smajestic%20san%20antonio%20-%20Google%20Search!15sCAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipNEI8Lbqyj6g1Iw9YJQA1XXipJ85rpzVShOrk-L&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjxrczCi9boAhUM1qwKHTzeARUQoiowFnoECBgQBg

Third time we went to the Woodlands (Houston, TX) Reckless 30 year Anniversary Tour his full band at the The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion.  6500 Seat, outdoor venue with 10000 lawn seats, Great Area right on the river.  We stayed at the Marriott that connects with the venue.  Saw Motley Crue with Alice Cooper as a warm up act here also. Alice had some Female Guitar Player that could slay that thing. 

Bryan Played the entire Reckless Album, then he was talking to the crowd and said we were in Luck that he had 7 more albums and he keep on cranking out the hits.  Great show, Great Venue...If you are in the Area....They have alot of big shows.  Check out the Mitchell Pavilion.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mitchell+pavilion+houston&client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=ALeKk01adR75d_9pueXIpz_7ukF17uuCTA:1586255320654&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwii9qPHjdboAhUQeawKHTvLAtgQ_AUoA3oECBsQBQ&biw=1920&bih=916

Just here.. Just BSN around.

JD

X-Roughneck said:
Old_Rocker  ;)

I mean Old Crow,

I think the Texxas Jam 1 at the Cotton Bowl in 1978 was Van Halen's First Really Big Gig, and they were hitting on all cylinders, ROCKING the HOUSE! Their First, and my vote for their best, album was just released a few months earlier...They played at around 1100 AM, all day all night Concert for $12 or $15, the heavy hitters of the Day of Rock and Roll were there, but VH stole the show!  Cheech and Chong entertained the crowds between events in the afternoon.  We were on about the 10 yard line, the stage was on the goal line. 

They played the entire first Album and they had the Crowd (100,000 Sardine Canned Floor, Packed to the Gills, Cotton Bowl, Dallas TX) Ignited chanting and shaking our youthful Fists in the air for the Chorus.  I have been to big sporting events but I have never been in a more Electric, Plugged into Life Event. Electric is a great adjective... 

When we saw them in 2013ish a Different Kind of Truth Tour, David Lee was a former shell of himself, Voice was terrible, and I bought TIX in the Nose Bleed sections of San Antonio's ATT Center.  Hot, Hot Up towards the top.  I should have known better, this is TX, It must have been summer time too.  We left early.  Not good.

Love thinking back go memorable times of our youth though....

JD

JD,

I did this list for a stupid Facebook post the other day:

The Music Machine
The Association
Bob Segar
Santana(x3)
It's a Beautiful Day
The Guess Who(x2)
ZZTop(x3)
Kris Kristopherson
Barbra Streisand
Peter Frampton(x2)
J Geils Band
Van Halen
Pink Floyd(yeah, giving my age here)
The Who
Trans Siberian Orchestra(x2)
Brit Floyd(x2) great tribute band here.
Charlie Daniels Band
Marshall Tucker Band
Doobie Bros.
Black Oak Arkansas

There were several more, but they are lost in the foggy recesses of my memory.

jackiemac said:
Take it these are bands you've seen live Wally?

Jackie,

When "Old_Rocker"  ;) eluded to the "foggy recesses" I am sure it was live events, "back in the Day".  ;D

I am going to throw my Live Concert History out there.   

Disclaimer: I had four Festivals which had a bunch of bands.  Start like 1000 AM and end after 1200 the following AM.  Nothing better than getting cooked in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas Texas during the Dog Days of Summer. 

Come home with blisters on your face, cooking out there.  Awww...The Youthful Idiots we were! 

I have to be honest for the Festivals without looking at Wikipedia I could not have named all bands, so many groups. 

Even Saw some One Hit Wonders at the Festivals, i.e. Walter Egan, "Magnet and Steel" fame  ;D  I know somebody knows that song... LOL

Texas Jam 1: Tickets- $13,  I was almost 16 years old. (July 78)

Aerosmith / Ted Nugent / Heart / Journey / Van Halen / Eddie Money / Atlanta Rhythm Section / Walter Egan / Head East / Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush / Cheech & Chong

Texas Jam 2: Tickets $15
TKO / Sammy Hagar / Nazareth / Van Halen / Boston / Heart / Blue Oyster Cult

Texas Jam 3:    The Eagles /  Foreigner / Cheap Trick / Sammy Hagar /April Wine /  Christopher Cross

Texas Jam 86:
Van Hagar- 5150 Tour / Dio / Loverboy / Krokus / Keel / Bachman-Turner Overdrive

As a Kid traveling with my friends the above Plus shows at two Horse Town Coliseums in the somewhat near area.

Late 70s: Styx, Legz Diamond, Judas Priest, UFO, Scorpions, Pat Travers, Kansas, Night Ranger, Sammy Hagar, KISS, Eddie Money, Foghat, Molly Hatchet, Van Halen@ Midland TX,  AC/DC- Highway to Hell Tour (Bon Scott) a few months before he died.  Plenty of Opening Acts I forgot I am sure.  In the Pre-Internet Days...Circus Magazine and Record Stores would advertise the show 100-250 miles away.  Nothing came to our town.                                   

80s: ZZ Top Afterburner Tour, Frank Erwin Center Austin TX

Bryan Adams- Naples Italy  95ish
Sting- Naples Italy              96ish

After I retired from the Army

REO Speedwagon, (Ozzy, Guest Was Slash of GnR opening the Show), John Mellencamp, Poison, Scorpions, Cheap Trick, Def Leppard, Heart, Bon Jovi, Ratt, Billy Joel, Huey Lewis, Motley Crue- San Antonio, (Motley Crue Woodlands- All Bad things Must End Tour"- Alice Cooper Opening Act), Aerosmith Houston 2009 and Dallas 2012, ZZ Top, Bryan Adams (Bare Bones Acoustic) San Antonio, Bryan Adams Houston @The Woodlands. Van Halen, Different Kind of Truth Tour, Kool and the Gang Opened the show.

In Closing. 

Never too Old to Rock and Roll!

Stay Safe.

Wally, I would have loved to see Pink Floyd back in the day.  Went to the Planetarium in Ft Worth once for a Pink Floyd Experience was the closest I ever got.  I could only have imagined being in attendance when they Played Pompeii Amphitheater in the South of Naples.

JD

Bonus, One Hit Wonder....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RamSFoo0jw

Just to take the Thread Drift a little further, about One Hit Wonders:

That Thing You Do is a fun movie about a 60's One Hit Wonder band.  It established Tom Hanks as a major Hollywood player - he directed, wrote the script, several songs and starred in a major role.

Lou Schneider said:
Just to take the Thread Drift a little further, about One Hit Wonders:

That Thing You Do is a fun movie about a 60's One Hit Wonder band.  It established Tom Hanks as a major Hollywood player - he directed, wrote the script, several songs and starred in a major role.

X's 2 It is a fun movie.

jackiemac said:
Take it these are bands you've seen live Wally?

Yes. Not so many, but more than I thought when I started the list.

JD,
Your mention of festivals got me thinking.  I've been to 3 Memphis In May concerts.  Don't really remember all we saw there, except one of the times I saw ZZTop was there.  Saw a bunch of younger bands that the kids liked, but I'd never heard of.
The Kris K and Barbra Streisand was a concert especially put on in Phoenix for the filming of "A Star is Born"(the 70's reboot, not the 90's one).  That started at 8am and ran until midnight(and cost only $5 to enter).  Also had a bunch of Bill Graham bands from the San Francisco area that weren't all that big.

If you're a Floyd fan, watch the 'net for an appearance by Brit Floyd(I see they're scheduled in Austin on June 14, pandemic permitting).  It's a great tribute band, and the show is as close to the real thing as you can get. 
I've seen the Pink Floyd experience in Little Rock, and these guys just blow that away.

On a side note, in the late 60's there was a "lounge singer" similar to Kenny Rodgers or Glen Campbell who was in some kind of accident and ended up with a plate in his head.  I can't for the life of me remember his name, and googling doesn't seem to help.
He was the first "concert"(performed in the round on a revolving stage) that I ever went to.  Wasn't really my type of music, but I do remember him joking that the lighting was heating up the plate in his head.

You mentioned a revolving stage and that reminded me of a Harry Chaplin concert at Oakdale Theatre in Wallingford, CT. About the third song into the set, Howie Fields stopped playing the drums and just sat still on his stool. Harry stopped the band and asked what was wrong.

Howie, who apparently wasn?t completely sober said, ?Harry, this f***er is moving!?  We loved Harry and the band, and were able to see them perform numerous times. The old Oakdale is long gone, but we have great memories of the place.

Wally,

I see your Pink Floyd notes.  I love the old and also some of the Later Stuff with David Gilmore singing the lead. 

Roger Waters is too far out there for me now days and I skipped his political theater reluctantly when he came to San Antonio a few year back.  I think he got booed for some of the stuff he was ranting about. 

I have recently downloaded a Free App (Simple Radio) and I have been listening to a heavy dose of Classic Country Legends on "KKYX" Radio out of San Antonio.  With the recent death of Kenny (RIP) Rogers they have been playing Kenny more than they use to.  I love Glen Campbell too!

My sisters are 71 twins, and they both were music teachers for over 40 years, so they were in the Times back in the 60s with the Beatles, CCR, etc.  I was 8 yrs old in 1970 so I have alot of memories of music they brought home and were listening to.  My Sisters both are Great Artists too, so lots of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Charcoal, water color, oil, Potraits, etc.  :)

Isaac...

OHH Niders?..Is that French Cajun for All Nighter, or from Lou's Tom Hanks Movie Reference?

LOL

Learning to Fly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVhNCTH8pDs

JD

I am going to quit Drifting this thread way out of whack.  :-X 

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/the-bob-lonsberry-show-on-wham-20922208/episode/bob-lonsberry-show-5-19-20-62734414/

Joanna's interview on Memphis starts at the 19 minute mark. She's 14 years old and probably the shyest girl I've ever known so this was way out of her comfort zone and (in my opinion) she did such a great job!
Vanessa is on Thursday at 9:30 eastern time.

RVMommaTo6 said:
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/the-bob-lonsberry-show-on-wham-20922208/episode/bob-lonsberry-show-5-19-20-62734414/

Joanna's interview on Memphis starts at the 19 minute mark. She's 14 years old and probably the shyest girl I've ever known so this was way out of her comfort zone and (in my opinion) she did such a great job!
Vanessa is on Thursday at 9:30 eastern time.

Momma,

Would have never known she was shy unless you told us.  Young lady did a Great Job being interviewed.

JD

Does everyone still keep up with Amanda?

https://www.rochestercitynewspaper.com/rochester/james-brown-takes-a-bow-at-his-namesake-diner-james-browns-place/Content?oid=12304644

ziplock said:

https://www.rochestercitynewspaper.com/rochester/james-brown-takes-a-bow-at-his-namesake-diner-james-browns-place/Content?oid=12304644

Yes, she's posted elsewhere about this. She's a busy lady! 

ziplock said:

Thanks for posting the newspaper link. Enjoyed reading. Sounds like Amanda will have a good client base.

Back
Top Bottom