Lower 48

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, I'll add it to the calendar to make reservations ahead of time so I remember! Thanks and I'm looking forward to meeting you as well!

RVMommaTo6 said:
We can't complain too much about the weather since it seems to rain while we're indoors and hasn't impacted us yet. I don't want to jinx myself, but we've been very lucky in that aspect. Reservations for camping there or reservations to see the actual cave?

Sorry. I mean reservations to tour the cave. We thought we could just show up. It might work depending on the time of year. We were there in early July.

Look at the maps closely. The river is a barrier this year I hear. Come in from the I65 side.

I agree with camp nearby then drive in for the tour.

About tours, there are many tours of varying duration and difficulty.

Amanda,

Are you still in California?  Have you experienced any of the wildfires in your travels in California?

Enjoying your blog and waving at you.

I am, currently in L.A. not too far from the fires. We were a part of the power outages, but being in a motorhome with propane, gas, and batteries, we weren't really effected. We have, at times, smelled the fires and have had ashes rain down on us. There's a glow over the mountains in the direction of the fires as it gets darker out. GPS has rerouted due to "reports of fire" but Idk if those are cars on fire or fire close to the road or what, because the roads are open.
Ps- traffic here is the WORST!!!

Like I said, hit, 101 and head for San Luis Obispo County (Pismo Beach, Morro Bay etc.) No fires here, no shutoffs, and pretty decent air quality, considering. traffic should thin out well before Santa Barbara.

That's the opposite direction we're moving lol, we go from here to San Diego then inland to Joshua Tree and Death Valley.

You are living large!

I can't wait to see pics from your next destinations.  I read that Joshua Trees will soon be extinct.  Glad you will get to see a real one!  Let me know what the trunk feels like.

I will! It's funny that you say that because I've loved touching all these new-to-me plants I've come across.

RVMommaTo6 said:
That's the opposite direction we're moving lol, we go from here to San Diego then inland to Joshua Tree and Death Valley.
Death Valley is amazing.  What are you planning to do there?

I'm not 100% sure, we usually start by visiting a visitor's center and getting a map of the area to at least hit al the "must see" stuff. It'll probably depend on weather and how much time we have there. We were supposed to leave San Diego this morning but my car quit on us and won't be drivable again until tomorrow afternoon so our Joshua Tree/ Death Valley time is being shortened from a full week to 5 days. 

RVMommaTo6 said:
I'm not 100% sure, we usually start by visiting a visitor's center and getting a map of the area to at least hit al the "must see" stuff. It'll probably depend on weather and how much time we have there. We were supposed to leave San Diego this morning but my car quit on us and won't be drivable again until tomorrow afternoon so our Joshua Tree/ Death Valley time is being shortened from a full week to 5 days.
Oh no! Plenty to see in both places and I'm sure you'll make the most of it, as usual. I admire your stamina!!

The hike at Zabriskie to Golden Canyon is nice but a long way back up if you dont have 2 cars. The viewpoints are all great though.

Enjoy

I added pictures of the second half of CA in my latest blog post. I am so in love with Joshua Tree! It's not somewhere I could live, that sun is intense, but what an awesome place to visit!We decided to slow our pace this weekend because we have a fun packed 3 days ahead with getting up early and getting back late so instead of trying to cram Death Valley in before hitting Vegas, we'll do it the weekend after Thanksgiving. We're staying in Pahrump, so it's not a far drive by car.

When I tell people that Joshua Tree is one of my favorite National Parks most don't believe it because most have never heard of it. Right next to LA and no one knows about it. I have had the entire campground to myself there. It is a magical park.

Attachments

• Cool Campsite at Joshua Tree NP (1).jpg
    Cool Campsite at Joshua Tree NP (1).jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 54
SeilerBird said:
When I tell people that Joshua Tree is one of my favorite National Parks most don't believe it because most have never heard of it. Right next to LA and no one knows about it. I have had the entire campground to myself there. It is a magical park.
I think those Joshua trees look neat. They look like something out of doctor Seuss.

I believe it Tom, I really knew nothing about it before researching this trip. Definitely magical, a couple of the kids announced it being in their top 5 list.

SeilerBird said:
Great photo Tom. We also love Joshua.

I'm interested in what you thought of the condition of the park Amanda, I've heard people say it will take years to recover from the recent shutdown where no-one was looking after the place and people were causing mayhem.

jackiemac said:
Great photo Tom. We also love Joshua.

I'm interested in what you thought of the condition of the park Amanda, I've heard people say it will take years to recover from the recent shutdown where no-one was looking after the place and people were causing mayhem.
There were many areas being rehabilitated, but it didn't look like it needed to be except for the lack of the smaller plants on the ground in those areas that were likely trampled. I thought it was beautiful and looked so natural, it didn't look like people had done much damage, but I also don't have a "before" with which to compare it.

Back
Top Bottom