Lower 48

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ziplock said:
Hi Rv Mama,

Where are you spending Christmas Eve?

Waving at you.
Hi!!! We'll be at a KOA (our first) in Salt Lake City, Utah, for Christmas Eve. Santa coming will be a challenge because I still have a couple believers (I'm not sure if I mentioned it on here before but my kids are developmentally delayed, and they're homeschooled so they don't have that influence.)

We stay at that KOA a lot.

You are soooo lucky to be there at Christmas time because you can see the Temple grounds all decorated for Christmas.

Go see the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sing. Great.

And remember...If you don't believe in Santa he won't believe in you.

Arch Hoagland said:
We stay at that KOA a lot.

You are soooo lucky to be there at Christmas time because you can see the Temple grounds all decorated for Christmas.

Go see the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sing. Great.

And remember...If you don't believe in Santa he won't believe in you.
I'll do that!
Most of our family friends don't do Santa because they're very conservative Christians, I tell my kids he only delivers to believers. I also tell them that I personally believe in Santa but that a lot of people don't. When my son was 13, I found out he still thought Santa was the red suited man as opposed to Mommy because he was having trouble sleeping at night. He didn't know why. I asked him what he thinks about when he lays in bed. He said he's up thinking about, and worrying about, that when he's an old man, he wants to be the next Santa (he saw it in a movie that Santa gets passed down) I'll never forget that year, I had to go make an extra trip to Walmart to buy him an Xbox. We didn't do video games before that and it's all he was asking for. I was done shopping - but with belief like that, I HAD to get him the Xbox lol
We make a habit of doing nice things for people that they'll never know is us, and I explain that those things are Santa too, but they still think red suited guy lol

RVMommaTo6 said:
There were many areas being rehabilitated, but it didn't look like it needed to be except for the lack of the smaller plants on the ground in those areas that were likely trampled. I thought it was beautiful and looked so natural, it didn't look like people had done much damage, but I also don't have a "before" with which to compare it.
I did wonder if there was a lit of exaggeration going on. Glad to hear it's still as beautiful.

SeilerBird said:
When I tell people that Joshua Tree is one of my favorite National Parks most don't believe it because most have never heard of it. Right next to LA and no one knows about it. I have had the entire campground to myself there. It is a magical park.

Most people don't even know what a Joshua Tree is.. .. Been there.  and I agree it's very nice.. Don't really have a 'Favorite" place but that is on the list of places nice to visit.

John From Detroit said:
Most people don't even know what a Joshua Tree is.. .. Been there.  and I agree it's very nice.. Don't really have a 'Favorite" place but that is on the list of places nice to visit.
The ironic thing is that a Joshua Tree is not a tree, it is a yucca plant, a cactus. It just looks like a tree and was named by the LDS members almost 200 years ago. I really love JTNP. I love the desert and they have one of the best areas with so many cool rock formations. It is a boulder's paradise. Boulder being a person who loves to climb boulders in preparation for real mountain climbing. And the weather is almost always great there and the crowds are usually non-existent since so few people know about the place.

Yeah it felt like we were alone in the park. We would really only come across other people, never many, at the major points of interest.
We've since been to Death Valley, Petrified Forest, Mesa Verde, and Arches. Petrified Forest was one of the kids favorites so far, mine was Death Valley. I'm so in awe at the whole place. I knew very little about it, I really only knew about Badwater Basin. I was clueless as to the variety there until I did some mini research on where to go and what to see. It's definitely one of my favorites.

We're in Moab now, I could easily live here btw, until we can get the slide fixed. We've been without a slide since it broke in the Grand Canyon and Grand Junction Colorado was the closest place I could find to fix it. Everywhere else was either closed for the season (including any mobile mechanics) or didn't do this kind of work or couldn't get me in until January. Hopefully that'll be done tomorrow and we'll head further west through Utah.

I love Death Valley too. A lot of people ignore DV because it has a horrible name. The ironic thing is that you could not visit one of the best features in DV, Scotty's Castle. Unfortunately if flooded a few years ago and is currently not open.

We had to skip a few areas. Scott's Castle and also the race track. The rangers at the visitor center said they heard it snowed there and advised us not to go. They also made it sound like we were asking for a flat tire if we tried. We would have had to add a day there to see it, so we skipped it. Also, Dante's View was closed so we missed that. I'm going to have to make another trip there at some point and stay right in the park, or close to it, instead of an hour away.

RVMommaTo6 said:
We had to skip a few areas. Scott's Castle and also the race track. The rangers at the visitor center said they heard it snowed there and advised us not to go. They also made it sound like we were asking for a flat tire if we tried. We would have had to add a day there to see it, so we skipped it. Also, Dante's View was closed so we missed that. I'm going to have to make another trip there at some point and stay right in the park, or close to it, instead of an hour away.
The Race Track is fabulous but it is doubtful you could get there in your car. It an hour drive over very rough unpaved road. Did you visit the Sand Dunes? The Devils Golf Course and Artist Drive? Zabrinski Point? Walk the rim of the Volcano? See the tiny Pup fish? The place is just amazing.

It's SOOO amazing! We didn't walk the rim of the volcano or see the pup fish. We spent quite a bit of time at the sand dunes, playing, and hiked part of Mosaic Canyon right down the road from the dunes. Artist Drive was spectacular, and we went during sunset which made it that much more awesome. Another one of my favorite spots was 20 Mule Team Canyon, which I was surprised to not see listed on any of the national park's lists of must sees there. I personally thought that was jaw dropping beauty. I really need a full week in the park, what we did was basically a sampling of it just hitting some of the major tourist areas. Pretty much the story of this whole trip. I'm not saying that's a negative, I'm so so blessed to be able to see and do so much, and we're certainly taking advantage of every second, but like you always say Tom, it's a big country and 10 months is such a short amount of time. I literally keep an ongoing list of top places I want to return and further explore. Death Valley being right at the top of the list.
Another area that made that list is the Page Arizona area with Horseshoe Bend and the Wave. I would love to be able to fit that in, but it just isn't going to happen this time around. And it isn't in that immediate area, but Canyon de Chelley which is one area I was most looking forward to and had to miss. I think I need to move to Utah for a year!

Goosenecks State Park north of Monument Valley has multiple switchback canyons similar to Horseshoe Bend and several natural bridges.  You can boondock in the parking area at the overlook and hike down into the canyons.

That sounds familiar, I think I saw pictures of it when I was planning. I really do need to move to Utah for a year!

RVMommaTo6 said:
That sounds familiar, I think I saw pictures of it when I was planning. I really do need to move to Utah for a year!
I lived in Utah for three years. It was the worst three years of my life. It is a beautiful state but... go for Nevada or Arizona instead. You didn't even make it to Great Basin NP. It has Lehman Caves which are my favorite caves in the whole country.

SeilerBird said:
I lived in Utah for three years. It was the worst three years of my life. It is a beautiful state but... go for Nevada or Arizona instead. You didn't even make it to Great Basin NP. It has Lehman Caves which are my favorite caves in the whole country.
What did you hate about it? I was thinking Moab would be a great central point to call home for a year.

I just had to second Gooseneck State park, best $10 per night campsite we have ever had, of course it is dry camping with only pit toilets and maybe a picnic table (at a few sites, not ours) if you are not self contained.  Attached is a photo of my wife standing outside the door of our coach at our camp site there two months ago.

Attachments

• goosenecks2.jpg
    goosenecks2.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 33
  • goosneckssp.jpg
    goosneckssp.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 38
SeilerBird said:
I lived in Utah for three years. It was the worst three years of my life. It is a beautiful state but...

On our "trip out west" in 2007, after leaving Yellowstone we were supposed to stay in Salt Lake City for 2 days and then Vernal (Dinosaur Monument) for 2 days. We changed plans and skipped Salt Lake for a couple of extra days in Yellowstone and Vernal ended up being a bust (terrible campground and the monument had just recently closed). On top of that my gas-powered truck hated the climb out of Salt Lake up into the mountains. I know Utah has some very nice scenery but I will forever remember it as "Ugh, Utah!". Kim and I both regret not stopping to float in Great Salt Lake.

Back
Top Bottom