22" DC TVs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kurlon

Just bought a 2007 GS 6318 'Toy Hauler' style class C and so far am having a ball figuring out how to make it 'mine' as I go through it.  One thing I need to address is the TV over the cab.  It's an older Jensen 4:3 standard def analog LCD set.  So it won't get anything over the air, and none of my toys (NES Classic, laptop, etc) will talk to it either.  Fortunately the way it's mounted looks easy to modify, just need to find a modern set that is DC powered and will fit the space.  Based on quick measurements I'm thinking something in the 22" 16:9 range will fit.  The trick is finding something DC powered, any suggestions on brands / models to look at?

You would be better off buying a 110 volt TV and plugging it into a 110 volt to 12 volt converter. Then it could be used for either 110 or 12. And it would be a lot cheaper and you would have a better selection. I don't know if 12 volt tvs are smart.

No, but a Google or Bing search will turn up plenty of 12v tvs. Amazon, Ebay, electronics stores, etc. 

Here's an article that may help:
https://campaddict.com/12-volt-tv/

You can also use a 120v tv and simply plug it to a small inverter for power. Not quite a power efficient as direct 12v, but greatly expands your tv choices.

You could also add  an analog-to-digital converter to your existing tv. Some of them have jacks for additional inputs or outputs as well.

https://www.amazon.com/analog-to-digital-dtv-converters/b?ie=UTF8&node=979935011

I have a Sceptre 19" with built in DVD player that is a couple of years old. It has a power brick, but it runs on 12VDC. I have my trailer wired so I can use it on 12VDC when boondocking or on 120VAC when plugged in. You might check their other models and see if they are  set up similarly.

There is 110v in the TV box already, I like the idea of staying DC as I can also run a small ARM box off the same feed, sip power and play old video games at night without firing up the generator.  (For similar reasons, I've no interest in 'smart' TV functions, anything they can do I can do better with a different device.)  If I can find a cheap DTV tuner I may go that route and just snag a monitor instead...

I have a Jensen 12v TV that came with my Winnebago ERA and it sucks. The viewing angle is terrible. Get a few degrees off center and the picture goes to hell. I think, unless you spend big bucks for it, the typical 12v TV is going to be similar. On the other hand, if you go with a 120v TV and a small inverter you can find lots of TVs with a much wider viewing angle (vertical as well as horizontal) and probably much less expensive than a limited market 12v TV.

Agree with Molaker - the Jensens are way overpriced and notorious for poor viewing angle and lack of features common to other brands.  Their claim to fame is "built for RV use", but that's a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.  Standard production tvs work fine in RVs and do not have any notable reliability problems. Jensen tvs don't lat any longer in an RV than other brands, and by some reports they are less reliable than a common Samsung, Vizio or Sony.

Digging around it seems Element made a 24" set that might have been the unicorn I wanted.  The Element elefw247 1080p was the right physical size, used a 12v brick, and didn't have any unwanted smart features.  Unfortunately it's also out of production.  Bah.  I found a Vizio set that might work, but it's not DC so I'd have to use an inverter to feed it when not using the generator.  The hunt continues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom