St. Francisville, Louisiana ferry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, the new bridge opened a few years ago.  I live in western Louisiana, and have not been there since it opened, but look forward to using it on an upcoming trip in a few months.

p.s. it is the John James Audubon bridge, google says it was completed in 2011, it does not seem like it has been that long, I guess the years fly by.  The last time I was in the area was for a wedding in 2009, or maybe 2008.

Crossed the bridge last year (Hwy 10, just south of St. Francisville). Visited a nephew in St. Francisville and then headed to Texas to see a sister-in-law.
As far as I know, the Angola ferry is permanently closed.

A real nice bridge, use it when we go to visit family (in Zachary) while camping in St. Francisville. If you want to ride a ferry in that part of the country, I think that the Melville Ferry still runs!

UPDATE:  I was “very” wrong...it’s been closed for 8 years!

Isaac-1 said:
Why Lafayette?
I guess I would ask, "Why not Lafayette?"  Also Abbyville and the surrounding area.

Lots to see and do in the area.  Especially Cajun history & food.  State Parks, Swamp tours on small boats.  Great food.  Wonderful place to spend a week to a month or more.

AStravelers said:
I guess I would ask, "Why not Lafayette?"  Also Abbyville and the surrounding area.

Lots to see and do in the area.  Especially Cajun history & food.  State Parks, Swamp tours on small boats.  Great food.  Wonderful place to spend a week to a month or more.

:)) :)) :))

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with Lafayette, however Lafayette is sort of an island of middle america in the heart of Cajun country.  Lafayette is the hub where many petrochem companies operating in the area have their offices,  they have brought in people from all over the country, so as a result there is much less traditional Louisiana culture around Lafayette than there is in the surrounding communities.  In other words if you want Greek or Italian food in the area go to Lafayette, if you want Cajun food, go to Henderson, New Iberia, Abbeville, etc.

Isaac-1 said:
Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with Lafayette, however Lafayette is sort of an island of middle america in the heart of Cajun country.  Lafayette is the hub where many petrochem companies operating in the area have their offices,  they have brought in people from all over the country, so as a result there is much less traditional Louisiana culture around Lafayette than there is in the surrounding communities.  In other words if you want Greek or Italian food in the area go to Lafayette, if you want Cajun food, go to Henderson, New Iberia, Abbeville, etc.

If you base out of Lafayette, it’s only a few miles in all directions to real “Cajun”! Lafayette perhaps offers  a few more amenities....but I would prefer to be a little way away from the city.
  Your also only about 30 miles from Avery Island. Very pretty, especially in spring when most everything is in full bloom. Should be lots of “swamp” wildlife to see, at this time!

Memtb said:
  If you base out of Lafayette, it?s only a few miles in all directions to real ?Cajun?! Lafayette perhaps offers  a few more amenities....but I would prefer to be a little way away from the city.
  Your also only about 30 miles from Avery Island. Very pretty, especially in spring when most everything is in full bloom. Should be lots of ?swamp? wildlife to see, at this time!

I agree but there is so much in Lafayette we stop there, we are without toad so we rent a car and that usually mean a bigger town when done in Lafayettethen we go west and stop at DI's in Kaplan for dancing and food, Then we go to Sulphur were there are Cajun 2 step lessons every Thursday and then to Cameron area and stay on the Cajun Riviera.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom