A possible solution to helping the homeless needy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sightseers said:
Obama also had a bunch of time on the Greens..a lot of Congressional deals get made there.

How about a Flat Tax and an IRS remodel ?

In eight years about as much as the current one in one year.

I might could get behind a flat tax and a top to bottom review of foreign aid.

You will never get a Flat Tax through the Swamp Congress.

The lobbyist from the CPA's union will be stuffing money in pockets all over Capital Hill. 

Oldgator73 said:
In eight years about as much as the current one in one year.

The amount of Golf Course time is probably fiscally tied to the GDP.... ;)

Banks today own enough vacant houses they have foreclosed upon and have no hope of ever selling for a profit that every homeless person could be housed and still have vacant houses left over.

But the Homeless problem is not just a 'Roof' it is much more than that.  While being without a place to live is bad, Being unable to afford food and medicine is ... Also part of that problem.

Oh and as I and others have been known to say.. Legally.. Many of us are classed as "HOMELESS" you have have a motor home worth half a million dollars. But unless you have at least a tar paper shack to park it next to from time to time you are "Homeless". legally.

I heard you can buy a foreclosed house in Detroit for $500. Is that true?

Oldgator73 said:
How much housing would $12m provide? Think about where that $12m would come from (pomp and circumstance). Or $175m (golf).
how about all the money we are spending on the Fruitless Collusion investigation

It is so hard to havean intelligent conversation because people keep wanting to derail the topic for their own purposes (politics). How about you political proponents JUST GO AWAY. THE thread was about a novel way to help the homeless and a POSSIBLE solution to part of the problem of the homeless misusing the funds.
I just wish the moderators would stop the thread.

it's just friendly politically slanted banter...don't get so upset.

and even if we had the funds.. the Supreme court ruling prohibits the government of taking any action other than "offering" free homes to anyone that wants one.

Some of the homeless truly are in need of some form of committed hospitalization...but it's illegal.

What do you think will happen when some waco loner Nam Vet living in 'his' riverbed  (and he already feels he's been screwed by the government once) is told by the Man that he should to go live in a government apartment building.
He's probably gonna pull his knife.

Oh..wait, he can't be told that.  so he's probably just going to continue living in his riverbed and howling at the moon.    :-\

and, what about this..

Now that homeless Joe and Jane has a free house,  do they'd just go back out and panhandle every morning. They're still on the streets.  Do you think they'd agree to a drug test ? (is it even legal to require it for aid) ?

or... are they gonna just choose to continue living the free life they have with their dogs, drugs, and tents under the bridge.

I've stayed at Slab City out in the desert before, it gets a little scary out there,  even the county sheriffs just stay away.

The Huge mentally ill homeless problem I see,  is going to be far more difficult than you think. It's gonna take more than free apartments to fix.

Outlaws... (aka "mentally ill")  wanna live like outlaws.

Involuntary hospitalization has been used as a weapon to keep minority thinkers in line for hundreds of years and is used today in may countries. IN my lifetime it was used in the good old USA to stop civil right demonstrators in the 50-60"s. It was also used to stop people who were trying to organize workers into unions. Hitler and Mussolini used it on minorities to purify the races  So that did not work. It is not illegal for mentally ill to be placed on a 72 hour evaluation commitment  and is in effect in most states. But if they person is judged to be not harmful to others why would they be committed permanently? Because their lifestyle is contrary to our beliefs? No one has to live in your reality except you.  Do we lock up the Downs babies? the cerebral palsy victims? The babies who were born addicted to drugs and have low IQ? what about thalidomide babies?  Tourette's syndrome sufferers. How about head injury people. What level of difference is acceptable? Should we lock up people like Steven Hawking at an early age to keep him "safe"?
The person who made the video is trying deal with the problem as it exists today without giving access to drugs etc and on a person to person level; how about we talk about the effort the guy is making and the plan he has come up  with to try to address the problem.

What do you think of the video assuming you watched it of course. I was trying to get peoples opinions on that, not have my thread hijacked.
So again what did you think of the video and is there anything you would tweak in this VOLUNTARY PERSON TO PERSON  effort.

I say try it,  study the effects and learn from it.

better than nothing.

Some of those arson fires set by former 72 hour holds,  have killed innocent people. 

Are you sure we couldn't use some improved humane form... of Involuntary Hospitalization ?

We have been warned several times about our political posts hijacking the OP?s topic. I enjoy a good political debate as much as anyone else but I think enough is enough. It?s clear nobody?s mind is going to be changed. It?s also clear that political leanings are evident in the solutions to the homeless problem. Compassion vs the hell with them. I watched the short film and would have no problem with a phone App to donate money. It looks like the person?s Predicament will be come up when the card is scanned. Unless they were able to scam that system we would know their back story. If folks think the homeless are just a bunch of slackers and drug and alcohol abusers that are lazy and are looking for a handout, don?t give them money. Keep walking.

edit: removed quoted text.

I agree,  it looks like this topic has exceeded it's productive lifespan.  In spite of SargeW's gentle reminders, the political discussion continues, which does nothing but promote back and forth bickering.

So, I'm closing this topic.  Please, let's all go back to the stated purpose of this Forum, which is discussing our common interests in RVs and the RVing lifestyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom