A possible solution to helping the homeless needy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
darsben said:
Okay I will help a few more homeless to take up the slack for those who won't/don't.
I have been blessed many times over and I will help others to the best of my ability.
If they are scammers that is on them not me.

:))  and you will be rewarded.  Although I might not like this program, the world needs more people like you for sure.  :))

All the scammers are getting foods stamps and welfare already. They panhandle to get drugs and booze. But keep on giving them money. It only encourages them to keep doing what they are doing. Doesn't solve any problems.

Chameleonxanth said:
Maybe this pilot program will work, maybe it won't.  The creator is trying, at least, to find a way to help needy people pick themselves up without aiding in the scammer/drug & alcohol epidemic.

:))

Will it enable them to get back on their feet....or will it enable them to be homeless easier ? 

who was it that said.. "Today's solutions become tomorrow's problems". 

let's see what happens in GB.

I don?t give to panhandlers but I do give to homeless shelters and food banks. I also get $10 Walmart gift cards occasionally to give to a friend who works with the disadvantaged. SNAP pays for some food but not for soap or shampoo. She hands the cards out as needed.

Some additional bits of information.

Some of the homeless holding their "Will work for food" signs are legit. Some.. Well there is or was one not far from where I'm sitting (perhaps 20 miles) who made like 80-100 thousand a year "pan handling" he refused offers of work when actual offers were made.. What is the ratio of genuine to scammer? I have no clue. I might add I know genuine homeless as well.

The Welfare system in this country..  I have heard a lot of words spoken or read typed about that.

In this country the minimum wage for most workers is something like $7.25 (Federal) state minimum will vary depending on state and some "locals' have set higher minimums.  And if you are say a Waiter or waitress. that 7.25 becomes 2.50 (or less) you are expected to make up the difference in TIPS.

Of course that is not even close enough to live on so over half the folks on "Welfare" have jobs. and half the workers at Wa.*mart (The hardest working half) qualify for "Welfare".

Think abou this a while. 

I might add one more fact. The "Food Stamp" programs  (Nutritional assistance) net the government over 1.50 for every dollar they spend as it benefits everyone from the Hungry man. to the grocery store and staff, to the suppliers. trucking companies, processors, farmers, Seed and fertilizer companies and even the big oil companies.  One of the best Economic stimulus packages in existence.

Naturally we must get rid of it.

(post removed)

Let?s be sure and address the topic, not the poster(s).

all those wonderful Economic stimulus packages..... is what doubled our national debt.

It was like trying to fix America with a credit card.... 

(and the bill is coming soon  :'( )

Yep passed to help businesses
examples ;
food stamps were a stimulus for the American farmer to get help boost prices for the farmer and rid the nation of excess food the government buys to this day. Later expanded to allow foreign foods.
Obama phones (really Bush phones  but why be accurate) stimulus for the cell phone companies but not paid for by taxes.

Once we get rid of  corporate welfare then we should start on individual  welfare 

darsben said:
Yep passed to help businesses
examples ;
food stamps were a stimulus for the American farmer to get help boost prices for the farmer and rid the nation of excess food the government buys to this day. Later expanded to allow foreign foods.
Obama phones (really Bush phones  but why be accurate) stimulus for the cell phone companies but not paid for by taxes.

Once we get rid of  corporate welfare then we should start on individual  welfare

another good example was the Soylndra solar co, (owned by Google)  Obama gave them 1/2 a billion dollars  .....2.5 years later, the company is all gone, and the money is all gone.

wouldn't it be better to get rid of all welfare    ???

I think the last person I tried to help was standing by a Little Caesars at the time they had the pizza pizza deal where you got double of everything I came outside and offered him the fresh food and the bag right then he told me pizza was for the birds okay well I pigged out on all of it.

I'm 64 yr old and still in decent shape. I could have 3 jobs today if I wanted. Most of these people are lazy, on drugs or alcohol. If you can panhandle and even engage in fist fights over prime roadside spots, then you can work. Go on YouTube and look at how many able bodied people are living in cars,vans and RV. How do they do it? SSDI

QZ said:
I think the last person I tried to help was standing by a Little Caesars at the time they had the pizza pizza deal where you got double of everything I came outside and offered him the fresh food and the bag right then he told me pizza was for the birds okay well I pigged out on all of it.

I'm 64 yr old and still in decent shape. I could have 3 jobs today if I wanted. Most of these people are lazy, on drugs or alcohol. If you can panhandle and even engage in fist fights over prime roadside spots, then you can work. Go on YouTube and look at how many able bodied people are living in cars,vans and RV. How do they do it? SSDI

I don't know, maybe you have statistics to back up the claim that ?Most of these people are lazy, on drugs or alcohol.? I cannot say with any certainty the percentage of folks on assistance or homeless are lazy and just do not want to work. I do know that several states have mandated drug testing in order to receive assistance. If I remember correctly every state that did so suspended the program due to lack of results and cost of testing.
I do not pretend to know the answer to our homeless epidemic. You would think being the greatest nation on earth  ;D we could eradicate homelessness. We are a very wealthy nation that squanders tax money. I spent 24 years in the military and another twelve working for the DoD. I can tell you from experience, the government wastes and misappropriates trillions of dollars.

Oldgator73 said:
I don't know, maybe you have statistics to back up the claim that ?Most of these people are lazy, on drugs or alcohol.? I cannot say with any certainty the percentage of folks on assistance or homeless are lazy and just do not want to work. I do know that several states have mandated drug testing in order to receive assistance. If I remember correctly every state that did so suspended the program due to lack of results and cost of testing.
I do not pretend to know the answer to our homeless epidemic. You would think being the greatest nation on earth  ;D we could eradicate homelessness.

:))

Oldgator73 said:
I do not pretend to know the answer to our homeless epidemic. You would think being the greatest nation on earth  ;D we could eradicate homelessness. We are a very wealthy nation that squanders tax money. I spent 24 years in the military and another twelve working for the DoD. I can tell you from experience, the government wastes and misappropriates trillions of dollars.

Oh ok, so you have a problem with $500 toilet seats and $1200 hammer? Lol

Drug testing for welfare eligibility may not work..

Alcohol and marijuana are "legal" drugs...and yet they account for a lot of ruined lives.  i doubt you can (legally) tell people no more of these drugs for a EBT card.

Oldgator73 said:
The homeless situation I know best is in Salt Lake City. My church was active in helping, and I knew a major homeless advocate. The majority of women homeless were those from domestic violence or from partners with drug habits. There were also many with mental health issues, both men and women. Yeah, maybe the street corner beggars were looking to scam, but the ones I saw the most were either mentally ill or just truly down on their luck. What do you do when you are literally living hand to mouth, have an hourly wage job, and you get sick and can?t work? They don?t have sick leave or families that can fill in. Instead they lose their housing. Because they were previously evicted, no one will rent to them if/when they get back on their feet. Sad story. In SLC there were also a number of teens/early 20s who got kicked out of their homes due to religious differences. The VOA had an entire set up for homeless teens to provide food, supplies, laundry facilities, computers to apply for jobs, and life skill assistance. It was always packed.

I don?t know the answer either, but I do know that all human beings have worth and value, absolutely all of them. I do what small things I can to help.

Oldgator73 said:
We are a very wealthy nation that squanders tax money. I spent 24 years in the military and another twelve working for the DoD. I can tell you from experience, the government wastes and misappropriates trillions of dollars.

and yet, (as a liberal ) you want more taxes and more government control  ?    Help me understand.  ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom