A possible solution to helping the homeless needy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those who complain about foreign aid should realize that much is to buy US products. Military aid? Sure, as long as it is F-16s or JDAMs. Food aid? Wheat from middle America. It benefits US companies at least as much as the foreign governments.

UTTransplant said:
Those who complain about foreign aid should realize that much is to buy US products. Military aid? Sure, as long as it is F-16s or JDAMs. Food aid? Wheat from middle America. It benefits US companies at least as much as the foreign governments.

So, our Government is buying a bunch of America products,  and giving them away... and that makes our economy sing ? 

Who pays for all this ?

a good quote is  "foreign aid is taking money from poor people in a rich country...and giving it to rich people in a poor country"

sightseers said:
Wow,  Great idea Oldgater.....(see how I did that.. 8) )    look at all this money I we found,  we can sure this money to help our less fortunate citizens.

this kind of money should buy every homeless person in America a new house. and think of all the new jobs building houses etc...

I think this adds up to around  $ 4B

Or we could have just avoided a trade war and saved the $12B in aide earmarked for the farmers. Getting back to the subject at hand, homelessness, i?d Like to see an actual idea from you on how to address it. All i?ve Seen so far are a bunch of snarky remarks.

I'd rather give it to our farmers,  than some of those other countries.

we don't need to avoid starting a trade war... we already lost that war.

(snark.. ;) )

My idea was to take the foreign aid money...which is more important ?.. homeless Americans or giving F16's to Turkey.

what do you got ?

Oldgator73 said:
Or we could have just avoided a trade war and saved the $12B in aide earmarked for the farmers. Getting back to the subject at hand, homelessness, i?d Like to see an actual idea from you on how to address it. All i?ve Seen so far are a bunch of snarky remarks.

You must have been in ?intel?, you are so confused.

FenderP said:

Hey wait a minute dude !    ...  It was me that was a 96B in 1972 .       

FenderP said:

Civil Engineering, HVAC/Fire and Intrusion Systems. Stephen Hawking confuses me. You don?t. Getting back to the subject, you have anything salient to add? You and your buddy have mocked everybody else?s input. I?d like to hear about your solution.

Civil Engineering, HVAC/Fire and Intrusion Systems.

Well, we didn't call it the chAir Force for nothing... :)

it's vet to vet humor....please don't get angry.

I get to put up with what all vets say about Military Intelligence..

I was researching the homeless issue and found this,  it may have been the beginning of everything...

The ACLU's most important Supreme Court case involving the rights of people with mental illness was filed on behalf of Kenneth Donaldson, who had been involuntarily confined in a Florida State Hospital for 15 years. He was not dangerous and had received no medical treatment. In a landmark decision for mental health law in 1975, a unanimous Supreme Court ruled that states cannot confine a non-dangerous individual who can survive on his own, or with help from family and friends.

sightseers said:
I was researching the homeless issue and found this,  it may have been the beginning of everything...

The ACLU's most important Supreme Court case involving the rights of people with mental illness was filed on behalf of Kenneth Donaldson, who had been involuntarily confined in a Florida State Hospital for 15 years. He was not dangerous and had received no medical treatment. In a landmark decision for mental health law in 1975, a unanimous Supreme Court ruled that states cannot confine a non-dangerous individual who can survive on his own, or with help from family and friends.

Yeah, because there were no homeless folks before 1975. And before you say there are more homeless now; there are more people now.

...the solutions of today become the problems of tomorrow... as the saying goes.

as the California homeless history tells it, In 1975 Governor Reagan said okay to the court ruling and opened the doors up,  and then closed the empty hospitals down.

Flash to today, society had excepted having lunatics living in the hills, riverbeds and streets,  making it perfectly acceptable for others to live there when the economy crashed.

sightseers said:

I was 16 in 1971 when I dealt with my first homeless person. I was working in the emergency room at a small hospital, and a derelict (that was the term in those days) had been found dead in the streets. They brought him to us, doctor officially declared death, and he was put into a side room to wait for a mortuary van. The poor man reeked of alcohol, and I had the job of going through his pockets to look for ID. It was my first day on the job as a ER clerk. When I finished, one of the nurses saw me, and immediately sat me down to apologize. In defense of the ER folks, there was another group of 5 that had been in a horrific accident, and some of those were alive when they made it in. They also had no real idea how old I was since the job was supposed to be 18 and up; I just happened to know somebody.

So yes, there were homeless drug/alcohol addicts well before 1975, but there weren?t many schizophrenics or bipolar folks on the street. Many of the mentally ill use as a method of self-medication so they increase the drug user count too.

RE Mentally ill. Used to be we had publically funded mental hospitals where the mentally ill could get treatment or at the very least shelter... Alas I recall when they were closed.

We had a woman in Detroit. Homeless and some felt a bit... "Touched in the head" one nasty evening she ask a police officer if she could spend the night in jail. it was that cold. He refused.. now if you think she was stupid. Guess what. She slugged him. He promptly arrested her and locked her up. Judge let her off the next day with a Stern warning.. But she got exactly what she wanted. A nice warm jail cell instead of a cold bench..

Today many of those mentally ill are on the street. because nobody wants them.. And that is sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom