4-bike rack options for a TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi all,
We are trying to figure out the best (safest and easiest) way to travel with four bikes on our TT. I was considering having a hitch put on the bumper of the TT but a person at auto parts store cautioned me that bumpers are not designed to carry that much weight and could bend the bumper. I have seen some front mounted ones but it is tough to see how they actually work from the pictures of the parts alone.

What do people use for four bikes? My husband takes a traveling outdoor kitchen (essentially) with us, so putting them in the bed of the truck is not an option. We also do not have a snowplow bar on the front of the truck.

Thanks!

Front hitch receivers are readily available.  Then you insert your chosen carrier and add bikes.  Note this can reduce air flow across the radiator.  If the system is already near capacity, this could be an issue.  Also check that the bikes will not block visibility from the driver seat!

Your friend is correct about the back TT bumper!

x2 on the rear bumper advice... kudos to the auto parts store guy! Check out this story what happened to my cousin's bikes on the back of his TT. He ended up having a custom super-duper replacement bumper made and bolted to his trailer by a metal fabrication shop.

Another time this question was asked, someone posted a link to bumper supports you can install that provide more solid connections between the bumper tube and the trailer's frame. If I find the post or product, I'll post it here. In the meantime, search the forum for "bike rack" or "bicycle rack" and there should be quite a few archived discussions on that topic.

On a TT that I had.  I had a mobile welder come out and weld a very long receiver tube onto the underside of my bumper and it was long enough to extend under the TT and he welded it to the frame, under the TT.  It said it was easy and charged me $50.  I then took a 11k mile trip over 3.5 months and all was well. 

I'd get a "professional" to weld a 2" receiver to the frame and carry them on the rear. You won't want to carry the weight a 2" can take but it gives you the option of using an extender/reducer that will place the bike rack far enough out to clear your spare tire.

There are lots of options for 4-bike racks that will do the job. I'd recommend the style where the wheels carry the weight versus the ones that hang the bikes by their frame.

The ability to lock the hitch pin and the bikes in place is recommended.

I'd also look at buying the bike cover that some racks offer. Keeps them clean, dry, and out-of-sight.

You also should be aware that adding weight to the back of the trailer will reduce the tounge weight and could lead to sway extreme cases.

Ernie

Two or 3 suggestions

1: You can bumper mount on the TT provided the rack is anchored to the BODY of the RV. NOTE Body also needs to be strong enough..  Not all have the strength

Swagman and others made bicycle racks designed to mount on the hitch. Either slip over the 2" Square bar or bold on under the hitch ball. Some of these are 4 Bike models. NOTE. Make sure the bicycles do not contact the trailer when turning.

The link I provided above is a 4 bike solution with no bumper attachment, no welding, no hitch conglomeration. Attaches to the tongue.
They have good reviews.

Also avoid a ladder rack for that much weight. Bouncing up and down going down the road is a sure bet to rip the ladder off, if you have one. 

Why not avoid the hitch issues altogether with a roof mount system for the tow vehicle?

Cheers,

Dan K.

Attachments

• 2004-chevrolet-suburban-railgrab-58-inch-crossbars-yakima-highroller.jpg
    2004-chevrolet-suburban-railgrab-58-inch-crossbars-yakima-highroller.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom