"stick" fire extinguisher ...... a horse of a different color.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=30&v=oBjXecsF860

Does not have a U.S. UL rating.  Would be nice to know its equivalent ABC rating.  ie: 5B:10C

KOOL ~ silly ad.  No having to replace/service old style XXX$  Just replace for XXX$. save 000$.  Does look interesting.

30 years ago or so, I worked for a company that had a division that made a product called Chimfex that looked similar. It was marketed for putting out chimney fires.

I found this product interesting.  Thinking about ordering one or a few.  Maybe one for the boat and a couple for the RV.  I contacted the company with a couple questions.  One was about mounting it outside, such as on a boat....
here was their response

Thank you for taking the time to write us. The extinguisher is highly weather resistant primarily because it has no moving parts to corrode, stick or fail. Plus the activation surfaces are protected with plastic caps. The extinguishing chemical itself is also very stable thermally meaning it can operate reliably in any extreme of cold or heat that one would encounter in a marine or road application.

We have repeatedly tested the extinguishers by activating it after immersing it in a bucket of water and they start reliably. Obviously common sense here should apply. Periodic examination for signs of physical damage and/or degradation after long term atmospheric exposure is recommended as we cannot assure proper function under all possible conditions.

And my other question.  I was wondering that since this is a pyrotechnic device, would it activate by itself if fire hits it?  My thinking is would it work if mounted in the RV fridge chimney, as a poor man's solution.  here's their response to that one... in part
I have been learning about the RV world and I have heard from several sources about these fridge fires. Our extinguisher, although it works as a pyrotechnic, can only be triggered by striking the extinguisher with the provided striker cap. The extinguisher does not activate even if thrown directly into a fire. We have prototyped a remote activation mechanism (think under hood automotive applications), however a market ready product is not something that is a priority for us right now.

Back
Top Bottom