Trailer Roll Over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SargeW said:
I still say the right rear tire blew. No idea why however. Losing a rear tire at speed is a sure way to an "E" ticket ride. It looks like an adult male and a little kid at least. Hopefully there were no injuries.
I had a piece of 4x4  fall off of a truck ahead of me it came bouncing down the highway towards my face I swerved and it missed me but the trailer ran it over and it was quite a ride into the ditch. My truck (f-150) stayed upright but was pushed sideways on the shoulder a mile marker took out the passenger window.
The tow truck had to use the hot wrench on my Reese dual cam it was still attached.

We had our almost new TT tip over after getting thrown when the trailer wheels dropped off a deep "low shoulder" at highway speed. Ended up going backwards down the road until it rolled on its side.  My wife was driving and kind of panicked, but I'm not sure I could have saved it either.  Tow vehicle had much too soft a suspension and was loaded to the max, but I was largely ignorant of those factors at the time.  I've been a staunch member of the Weight Police ever since!  Got myself educated about towing things to make sure it never happened again.

A lot of "half ton" pickups are nothing but glorified cars, with light duty brakes and "P" (passenger car) rated tires.  It is amazing there are not more wrecks because of them.  Just because it "will" tow it does not mean it can do it safely.

and yet back in the day,  most people had no problem at all with a fully loaded 9 passenger Ford Country Squire station wagon towing a 30' travel trailer across the Rockies ?

Wasn't even a pickup truck.  (and probably had 15" biased ply car tires)

IMO..Many of the drivers today don't understand how to drive very safely or tow. (IE) 2 weeks ago my sister in law was towing an Airstream with her Cadillac Escalade @ 80 mph across the desert...and then the whole Zip Dee awing said "goodby" and hit a car behind her.

sightseers said:
and yet back in the day,  most people had no problem at all with a fully loaded 9 passenger Ford Country Squire station wagon towing a 30' travel trailer across the Rockies ?

Wasn't even a pickup truck.  (and probably had 15" biased ply car tires)

IMO..Many of the drivers today don't understand how to drive very safely or tow. (IE) 2 weeks ago my sister in law was towing an Airstream with her Cadillac Escalade @ 80 mph across the desert...and then the whole Zip Dee awing said "goodby" and hit a car behind her.

80 MPH. How stupid can you be. I hope no one got hurt in the other car.

She is not stupid...  (and no one got hurt)  the highway patrol chased her down miles later and informed her of what happened.

Both she and my brother are very intelligent people and have MBA's.  (they will be the first to tell you),  she was driving because my MBA brother has no confidence in his ability drive a vehicle towing a trailer.    he's okay at driving a Mercedes. 

they just bought a RAM dually and are looking at toy hauler 5th wheels so they carry their horses....

Please shelter inside.    8)

I saw this motorhome crashed in Oregon on the road where I camped for the solar eclipse last summer. It was there when I arrived and still there when I left 10 days later. Narrow 2 lane road with no shoulder, I would guess it was distracted driving. The front was pretty much intact, so if the occupants were seatbelted in, hopefully they were ok.  The tree demolished the back.

Attachments

• IMG_1314w.jpg
    IMG_1314w.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1311w.jpg
    IMG_1311w.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 95
My mom was notorious for driving her 1970?s Ford wagon queen family truckster at high speeds. But she wasn?t pulling a trailer, and man, could that woman drive. She could have done well on the NASCAR circuit. Lol

I think it's pretty cool that both propane tanks are still secure in their mount on the tongue. Not saying there wasn't a leak, but maybe it prevented a bigger mess with them staying in place like that.

I look at that picture of their things strewn across the ground and am reminded -- but on a much smaller scale! -- of seeing all my clothes (even unmentionables) riding along on the luggage carousel at O-Hare.  There was that nanosecond of seeing clothing and the "ha ha, somebody's suitcase" before the "holy cow, that's my stuff!"  FYI  Southwest isn't a fault when a zipper or any other closure breaks on luggage.  Don't ask me how you're to pack a suitcase if it doesn't open. 

Even if the propane tanks had come off, the automatic cutoffs inside the tanks are designed to cut off the flow when it increases above a certain flow rate, such as if the hose is cut or ripped off or a significant leak occurs.

20-30 years ago that wasn't the case. 

AStravelers said:
Even if the propane tanks had come off, the automatic cutoffs inside the tanks are designed to cut off the flow when it increases above a certain flow rate, such as if the hose is cut or ripped off or a significant leak occurs.

Which is great so long as the tank remains intact.

Larry N. said:
Which is great so long as the tank remains intact.
The tanks really are designed to take a tremendous beating and keep in ticking.  Just bouncing along the road and rocks should not split the tanks.

I lost my right rear traveling down U.S. 14 along the Columbia river. It was 103 degrees at the time in full afternoon sun. All I felt was a bit of thumping, and slowed down to the side of the road to do the tire change - it was a full fledged blowout, and the tire was shredded. I never travel more than about 60 mph, and tow with a one-ton 6.7L Cummins, which barely breathes hard even on steep grades towing the 7900 pound ultralight fiver.

Sure, a bit of overkill, but better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom