Newbie Question - house battery charge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skedman

I am having some issues that I believe are related to my converter (we are trying to connect with a local shop right now to fix this).  My house batteries are low and I do not have a charger.  If I flip the switch to kill the 12v power from the house batteries, will they charge up with shore power alone?

Likely no. Most (But not all RV') are wired something like the line drawing below.

Battery---A---_Switch--Fuse panel and converter

A is a tap to some stuff that ALWAYS needs power very low draw stuff as a rule.

IF you flip the switch to DISCONNECT the converter powers the house but the battery is all on its own.

NOTE: do flip that switch however.. IF 12 volt stuff still works (and nearly everything is 12 volt at some point including Water heater, Fridge, A/C and more in some, but not all, cases) your converter is likely working, if lights do not dim or if they get BRIGHTER when you disconnect then for sure it is working.

Chargers.. You can get a small charger for about 50 bucks. My Deltran Battery Tender Delux is 100 (it charges at 20 amps good for nearly all batteries used in RV's) and a decent Converter 100-200 give or take a bit on both ends. At your end about 125 I suspect. Possibly less (I can give you a "less" source if you need).

What is  the year, make and model of your RV?

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1. Click "Profile" button towards the top of the screen.

2. Scroll down a ways and select "Modify Profile"

3. Select Forum Profile

4. Fill it out and click on "Change profile".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MsWebster
Back
Top Bottom