one more thread about trailer weight but in very simple terms I hope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mijdeets

Today I've been reading several threads about tow loads and diesel and gas trucks and all kinds of calculations that is WAYYYY over my head.  I thought I just had to buy  truck and a trailer and away I go ha ha.  So here's my question...on my 1994 travelair 26' 5th wheel is a sticker that says GVRW - 3091kg.  Google says it means "The total weight of the cargo and trailer must not exceed the GVWR"  Also on the sticker it says Dry Weight - 2350kg.  Is that dry weight the total weight of my trailer as it came from the dealer?  meaning it doesn't inlclude any add ons or water or batteries or propane etc that I have read in other threads?  Does that also mean my cargo that I load into the trailer should not then exceed 741kg? - 3091-2350 (GVWR-dry weight).  Both axles have a GAWR weight of 1590kg.  I'm not sure how to even ask what that means ha ha.  Maybe someone can explain that.  But my real question has to do with the GVRW and dry weight mentioned above.  I have a 2000 Silverado 2500 and it seems to pull the trailer very well but I will ask some questions about it later  :)

Generally speaking, the dry weight is the weight that the trailer came from the manufacturer.  I am going to assume that you are not the original owner, so my suggestion is to take the trailer to a certified scale and get it weighed.....just make sure that it is not loaded with any of the stuff that you normally take camping with you.  At any rate, whatever it weighs, use that weight and subtract if from the GVWR number and you will know how much available cargo weight you should be able to haul.  Keep in mind, you are dealing with a 24 year old trailer here and the weight rating numbers were assigned to a "new trailer".  In other words, 24 years of use may have degraded some of the things on the trailer......springs, wheels and wheel bearings, spindles, brakes....maybe even the frame to some degree depending on whether or not it is badly rusted/corroded.  If you just bought it, make sure that the tires are of the correct size and load rating for that trailer.  Sometimes over the course of years and different owners, the tires get change with new ones and somebody decides they can get this tire cheaper than that tire and the wrong size tire gets put on.....which may or may not have the correct load capacity rating for the trailer/axle application.

GAWR is the gross allowable weight rating for each axle. That assumes the tires are rated for half that value (GAWR/2). You don't have a hugh margin, but remember that the hitch will carry about half of the gross weight.

Ernie

We have an excellent RV Glossary on this site (see buttons on the menu bar above). It explains numerous terms, include GVWR, GAWR, CCC, NCC, etc.

You have the basics right, though. Dry weight is as it came from the factory, with no water or gear onboard. It probably came with one or more batteries, but the various onboard tanks were all empty ("dry"). GVWR is the max total, so you can add the difference between dry and GVWR.  The only caveat is that the sticker "dry weight" on a 1996 trailer probably wasn't very accurate. It probably represents the weight of the most basic configuration of that model, i.e. no optional equipment.  I would guess that your actual trailer is probably 50-75 kg heavier than the sticker shows.  [It wasn't until June 2008 that the US gov't required that the sticker show the exact weight of that particular trailer rather than a representative weight for the model in general.]

As far as your F250,  the only concern is whether it has the cargo capacity to carry the portion of the trailer weight that rests on the hitch. That will be about 20% of the GVWR or 618 kg.  That weight, added to the weight of passengers and gear in the truck, may well be close to the truck cargo capacity (payload). You should look at your trucks spec numbers to be sure, but I suspect you are ok.

Thank you very much for your answers!  I'm so glad i found this forum a few weeks ago.  I have a few more questions coming but I am slowly getting a little smarter about this trailer stuff!

Back
Top Bottom