Star Trek

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"I can download some programming from DISH using their app, and I do that when I find good WiFi available at a restaurant or other place. I can then play it through the HDMI adapters."

This is what I was thinking to do, as well.  :)  That and making use of DVDs.

"A portable also makes installing and using solar easier since it is one less thing to shade the panels."

You know, that's important to me as I was hoping, if whatever rig we end up with doesn't have them, to install solar panels at some point.

"Sunday night and the PBS mysteries are on!"

:)

"They are power hungry though so we unplug it while boondocking. You need to remember to turn it on 15 minutes or so before you need it though. We also intend on unplugging all the TVs when we aren?t using them while boondocking. No reason to just keep those things chewing power."

Good information.  Thank you.  :)

"I also love Orville. So wonderfully campy! I am looking forward to the new season."

That's it!  "Campy" is the perfect description.  I'm looking forward to the new season also.  :)

Larry N. said:
That's the same robot, not a copy. After the movie was done, they decided they could get more use out of it. It was quite the novelty.

Well, that's somehow awesome and is making me smile.  I like knowing the origins of the LOS Robot.  :)

Has anyone else watched the first season of the new Lost In Space?  I am loving it. 

SargeW said:
The wife and I are huge Trekies! We have seen them all (except the new one, hate the premise and what they did to the characters).  Loved Next Gen, TOS was campy but fun, love the Borg, and one of our favorite characters is "Q".  He is out of control, then serious, then a genius all at once.  We are such ST Geeks, I have an older DVR that was starting to fail, but we won't get rid of it because we have 190 episodes of Next Gen on it! 

We can't wait until the next season of "Orville" is back.  And we loved "Firefly", bummer that it didn't make the cut. You can always tell when we are in a campground, because our WiFi broadcasts the name "Klingon Empire"! 

One of our favorite sayings is Ferengi. "There's no profit in it".  Yep, geeks.

Well, you two are freaking awesome.  :) 

I'm waiting for The Orville, Season 2 as well and also excited about Patrick Stewart's new ST series, especially as Discovery is so very bad. 

"qaqIHneS >sup
qaqIHmo' jIQuch
"

Larry N. said:
Of course GPS satellites aren't geosynchronous, and Clarke wasn't the first to talk about satellites (just geo), but he certainly had lots of influence on the space program, as did Robert A. Heinlein. A large percentage of the folks in the space program of the 60s and 70s grew up reading Heinlein and Clarke (among others). Clarke seems to get more credit from the general public for describing some of this stuff, but several other authors deserve credit for a lot of other things. Heinlein with his "teenage" novels (one a year for a number of years), Asimov with his robotics, and a number of others.

Oh, perhaps I should mention that Heinlein invented the modern water bed (some variations had been around for thousands of years) -- not just describing it in a novel, but actually designing a modern water bed (though he didn't actually build it).

Heinlein:
"I designed the waterbed during years as a bed patient in the middle thirties as an attempt to design the perfect hospital bed by one who had spent too damn much time in hospital beds."

Holy Wow.  Fascinating stuff.  :)

"A large percentage of the folks in the space program of the 60s and 70s grew up reading Heinlein and Clarke (among others)."

A wonderful way in which human progress advances; ideas, spreading and becoming knowledge through imagining possibilities and sharing those thoughts in the medium of story.  :)

I am a huge fan of waterbeds, having owned several and now feel grateful to Mr. Heinlein.  :)

SargeW said:
Since we fulltime, we take our "connected" lives seriously. I attempt to have the same amenities on the road that we enjoyed at the stick house.  For instance we have an "enterprise" Wifi router that has dual sim capabilities for 2 different carriers. We use Verizon and T-Mobile.  The system also has a power booster and an exterior antenna on a 6' push up mast.  Sometimes that's the difference in getting a usable signal, or none at all. 

For TV the rig has a dome satellite antenna,  and a portable dish in the basement for when I have to get around the trees.  We currently use Direct TV, but we will see what happens when their 101 satellite dies sometime in 2019. The dome is SD, but HD is not a huge deal for me. I grew up on "rabbit ear" antenna's, and 7 channels of black and white reception.

I've copy/pasted this entire post into my "RV Life" notebook.  Thank you.  :)

We are very unlikely to be launching before 2020, so will have to see what changes have occurred by then. 

It sounds as though what you have done is prep for every (or at least most) potential situations so as to keep yourselves connected.  This is my goal as well (which is why this post is in my notebook).

HD isn't a big deal for us either and only really matters if what is being watched is a visually intense, blockbuster-type movie.

I grew up with channels 2,4,5,7,9 & 13 and PBS.  (And no remote.)  ;)

Dvan said:
Love the old original Star Trek Series, watched reruns every day in the early 70?s. Favorite episode, or 2? were the ones concerning Capt. Christopher Pike and the Talosians. Heck, I still watch an episode now & then on Hulu, which, by the way is a great source for older TV series. I still watch things like Land of the Giants, Lost in Space, Adam 12, Night Gallery, etc. Yes, Im afraid the campy shows do entertain me.?

"Christopher Pike and the Talosians"

I don't remember the name/number, but I know which episode your are referencing and love that one as well.  :)

Hulu is great, isn't it?  I haven't seen Night Gallery there, but now I'm going to look.  Thanks!  :)

You forgot, "Emergency."  ;)

Love both star trek and star wars. Heck I my GPS tells me to "maintain standard orbit"
we I reach my destination

Lots of Trekkers I see....
LOVE the original series despite being cheesy and predictable. I remember bets taken on if whatever unknown actor in the landing party would actually make it to the next ad.
And the social commentary was about as subtle as getting hit in the head with a baseball bat. Remember "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" with the late great Frank Gorshin? (The black on one side / white on one side episode).
Next Gen was fantastic with Patrick Stewart, which seemed to evolve from the space cowboys of TOS to a more reflective pondering of space and our role in it.
These writers blazed some new territory it its time. Still a fan.

Star Trek. The shoe that refuses to DIE.  Seriously they are talking about yet another new deries.

When it first aired in the 60 it was, as it turns out, a very radical shoe. Now since I lead a sheltered life and was taught to hate as many were.. I missed much of this

But In the original pilot. Mrs. Roddenberry was the first officer, (in the series she became the Chief Nurse). but Uhura.. A Female, on the BRIDGE, and BLACK at that. UNHEARD OF (then) (Common today).  And the first ever Televised "interracial" kiss (Kirk/Uhura Plato's Children)

But more than anything it was a show that predicted a FUTURE at a time when ... We were all being taught Duck and Cover drills due to the possibility of the war that will truly end all wars for nobody will remain alive to fight when it's over.

Chameleonxanth said:
"Christopher Pike and the Talosians"

I don't remember the name/number, but I know which episode your are referencing and love that one as well.  :)

Hulu is great, isn't it?  I haven't seen Night Gallery there, but now I'm going to look.  Thanks!  :)

You forgot, "Emergency."  ;)

Ah yes, I remember ?Emergency? as well! I had a boyhood crush on Nurse Dixie ::)

jims94vmx said:
Love both star trek and star wars. Heck I my GPS tells me to "maintain standard orbit"
we I reach my destination

OMG, I love that!  :) 
Now I'm going to feel uncool until my GPS tells me to maintain standard orbit. 

BinaryBob said:
I remember bets taken on if whatever unknown actor in the landing party would actually make it to the next ad.

Red Shirts!   
There's a book, fun and entertaining, based on Star Trek's red shirts, actually titled, "Red Shirts," by John Scalzi.  :)

I searched the Amazon Prime web site and found this for you Trekkies. It is top ten episodes as voted by the fans:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01737U18S/ref=atv_feed_catalog&tag=iw_prime_tv-20&ref_=asc_homepage

I have Direct TV, and one of the main reasons I keep it is that that the BBC channel routinely broadcasts old Trek episodes from many of the old series.  And the new FETV channel (Family Entertainment TV), airing old Barney Miller, and Hart to Hart episodes. Of course they are also airing TJ Hooker shows with William Shatner in the lead role. You talk about campy!

SeilerBird said:
I searched the Amazon Prime web site and found this for you Trekkies. It is top ten episodes as voted by the fans:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01737U18S/ref=atv_feed_catalog&tag=iw_prime_tv-20&ref_=asc_homepage

Oh, fun.  :)

Red Shirts was not Scalzis best work IMHO.  But the Old Man's War series was awesome.  It's a shame he got tired of it.

Back
Top Bottom