Star Trek

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't watch the original Star Trek re-runs.  It's just kind of painful.

Enterprise is my favorite.  Somehow just seems more real to me.  Deep Space 9 would be my second choice, because of the Dominion War.  Also love the Ferengi and their Rules of Acquisition.

I read a lot of Science Fiction, mostly alternate history, and military sci-fi.  David Weber's Honor Harrington series, Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet series,  Paul Honsinger's Man of War series, etc.  Currently enjoying Drew McGunn's Lone Star Reloaded series - alternate history of the Texas Revolution.

Huge fan of Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis.

As for Star Wars. the original trilogy was great.  The rest of them were a waste of time and money.

I was born in '67 so I obviously missed TOS but one of my older cousins got me into it in the late 70's (along with shows like The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, and Space 1999). I did watch every TNG, Voyager, and Enterprise episode in prime time. I did not get that much into DS9 but I'm trying to watch it start to finish on Netflix right now. I have also seen all of the movies - although today I find it hard to watch some of them (sorry, Sybok)! I have not seen the new show, yet.

Lou Schneider said:
Star Trek was the most technically complicated TV series Desilu Productions had ever attempted, and Gene Roddenberry was under extreme pressure to get each episode shot and edited in time for the weekly broadcast.  So re-using The Cage pilot became his ace in the hole, by shooting a minimal amount of additional footage he could gain two weeks of breathing room to get out the rest of the season's episodes.

When the studio cut down The Cage to make The Menagerie two-parter, the unused footage was simply thrown out, in accordance with their policy at the time.  When the Star Trek phenomenon started taking off, Gene released The Cage to the videotape market but had to substitute grainy black and white backup footage for the deleted scenes.

Then the person who did the actual editing contacted Gene, and said he was a Star Trek fan from the start.  When he was called upon to cut down The Cage to fit inside The Menagerie, he couldn't bear to throw out the unused footage, instead in violation of studio policy he took it home and preserved it. 

Now he wanted to give it back to Gene, but the two of them had to do some fancy footwork to keep the editor out of trouble.  Eventually it all worked out, and Gene was thrilled to have The Cage restored to it's original form.

Well, that was interesting and fun to learn.  :)  Thanks for posting it.  :)

Joezeppy said:
I was born in '67 so I obviously missed TOS but one of my older cousins got me into it in the late 70's (along with shows like The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, and Space 1999). I did watch every TNG, Voyager, and Enterprise episode in prime time. I did not get that much into DS9 but I'm trying to watch it start to finish on Netflix right now. I have also seen all of the movies - although today I find it hard to watch some of them (sorry, Sybok)! I have not seen the new show, yet.

I had a hard time with DS9, as well; watched it for the sake of continuity, but it remains my least favorite series.

One of the Tier 2 TV networks runs Star Trek every week. I think another may be running it more often.

These are the Over The Air stations (Like ME TV or Antenna TV or COZI.  Hold on I'll check  It is ME TV that runs it once a week (on the weekend) per my DVR's Electronic program Guide .

Just watched Mark of Guidion

So you can watch em all from Charlie x (First to air but episode 2) to the close of the show. 

John From Detroit said:
One of the Tier 2 TV networks runs Star Trek every week. I think another may be running it more often.

The Heroes and Icons channel is currently running one original Trek at 8pm, followed by one Next Gen, one DS9, One Voyager, and finishing with one Enterprise at 12 midnight every M-F

Chameleonxanth said:
Well, that was interesting and fun to learn.  :)  Thanks for posting it.  :)

You're welcome!  At one time I had both versions of The Cage in my videotape collection.  Each had an introduction by Gene Roddenberry, the first one apologizing for the B&W footage, the second expressing his joy that the missing color footage had been found.

Well that link didn't come out right.

Try this one:

https://www.westcoastfirepits.com/shop/death-star

Lou Schneider said:
You're welcome!  At one time I had both versions of The Cage in my videotape collection.  Each had an introduction by Gene Roddenberry, the first one apologizing for the B&W footage, the second expressing his joy that the missing color footage had been found.

That's quite a collection you have there; rare gems.  :)

Every time I watch a movie I first visit IMDB and read all about it. I am currently watching The Russians Are Coming from 1966 and there is a hot looking teenage blond named Andrea Dromm I had never seen or heard of before. She only did two movies then quit the business. In 1966 she was offered a part in Star Trek and a part in The Russians. She had to choose one or the other. Here is what she had to say about it:

"Since Star Trek (1966) was only a pilot they could keep you under option for six months and change your character or even worse drop you from the series. You had no guarantees that they would sign you for the series. I thought that doing the movie (The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming! (1966)) would be more exciting and a great thing to do. That was a choice I had to make and you can't look back.
I was offered a role in The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming! (1966). They told me you either had to do the film or the (Star Trek (1966)) series. I chose the film, but had I known that "Star Trek" would become such a phenomenon, I probably would have opted for the series."

Yep, back in 1966 it was probably a sketchy idea for another "space show". I doubt anyone knew (other than Gene Roddenberry) what the possibilities were.

I've always enjoyed the "behind the scenes" information on many of these long running shows.
It's well documented that the cast almost universally despised Shatner for his egocentric antics.
He apparently needed constant reminding that in reality, he is not actually "The Captain", but plays a role to be shared with his fellow cast mates!!

BinaryBob said:
I've always enjoyed the "behind the scenes" information on many of these long running shows.
It's well documented that the cast almost universally despised Shatner for his egocentric antics.
He apparently needed constant reminding that in reality, he is not actually "The Captain", but plays a role to be shared with his fellow cast mates!!

Yes, a little bit of that came out on his show, "Shatner's Raw Nerve" when Walter Koenig (Chekov) was the guest.

Dvan said:
Love the old original Star Trek Series, watched reruns every day in the early 70?s. Favorite episode, or 2? were the ones concerning Capt. Christopher Pike and the Talosians.

The Cage. The very first episode filmed, then hacked up into two episodes.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/The_Cage_(episode)

Big Star Trek fan, spent a great deal of my childhood running around with a towel-cape tied around my neck, breathing as if I had asthma. (also a big Darth Vader fan...).

It continues to this day: our RV's license plate is properly pronounced "SERENITY", I'm working on getting a vinyl copy of the Serenity nose-art to put on the RV, and the WIFI SSID in my rig is "YouCantStopTheSignal". Also, I'm married to Morena Baccarin, and my wife is married to Adam Baldwin. (They just don't know it yet...)

When I was hosting at the North Rim a couple of years ago, a millennial couple with a couple of kids drove a converted school bus into the campground.  Above the windshield was painted the name, "Firefly".
I commented that the name should be "Serenity".  The reply?  "That's our daughter's name."  I shut up after that.

Old_Crow said:
When I was hosting at the North Rim a couple of years ago, a millennial couple with a couple of kids drove a converted school bus into the campground.  Above the windshield was painted the name, "Firefly".
I commented that the name should be "Serenity".  The reply?  "That's our daughter's name."  I shut up after that.

Damn.  Respect.  :))

bigfatguy said:
The Cage. The very first episode filmed, then hacked up into two episodes.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/The_Cage_(episode)

Big Star Trek fan, spent a great deal of my childhood running around with a towel-cape tied around my neck, breathing as if I had asthma. (also a big Darth Vader fan...).

It continues to this day: our RV's license plate is properly pronounced "SERENITY", I'm working on getting a vinyl copy of the Serenity nose-art to put on the RV, and the WIFI SSID in my rig is "YouCantStopTheSignal". Also, I'm married to Morena Baccarin, and my wife is married to Adam Baldwin. (They just don't know it yet...)

Sweet story about your childhood days.  :)

Um, you've seen Gina Torres, right? 
If forced, I'd pick the character, Malcom (not the actor, Nathan Fillion, mind). It's a bit obvious, but there it is, nonetheless.  Really though, none of the men on that show really goes there for me, but Malcom is pretty cool.  And the doctor, I liked him too.  :)

Chameleonxanth said:
Um, you've seen Gina Torres, right? 

Truly stunning... but I've seen how good her husband is at Kung-Fu... I don't need to piss off the head of the human revolution.

Back
Top Bottom