rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 3545 times)

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2018, 03:56:35 PM »
Lots of Trekkers I see....
LOVE the original series despite being cheesy and predictable. I remember bets taken on if whatever unknown actor in the landing party would actually make it to the next ad.
And the social commentary was about as subtle as getting hit in the head with a baseball bat. Remember "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" with the late great Frank Gorshin? (The black on one side / white on one side episode).
Next Gen was fantastic with Patrick Stewart, which seemed to evolve from the space cowboys of TOS to a more reflective pondering of space and our role in it.
These writers blazed some new territory it its time. Still a fan.
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B
2016 Winnebago Adventurer 37F

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2018, 05:07:27 PM »
Star Trek. The shoe that refuses to DIE.  Seriously they are talking about yet another new deries.

When it first aired in the 60 it was, as it turns out, a very radical shoe. Now since I lead a sheltered life and was taught to hate as many were.. I missed much of this

But In the original pilot. Mrs. Roddenberry was the first officer, (in the series she became the Chief Nurse). but Uhura.. A Female, on the BRIDGE, and BLACK at that. UNHEARD OF (then) (Common today).  And the first ever Televised "interracial" kiss (Kirk/Uhura Plato's Children)

But more than anything it was a show that predicted a FUTURE at a time when ... We were all being taught Duck and Cover drills due to the possibility of the war that will truly end all wars for nobody will remain alive to fight when it's over.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Dvan

• ---
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2018, 05:27:47 PM »
"Christopher Pike and the Talosians"

I don't remember the name/number, but I know which episode your are referencing and love that one as well.  :)

Hulu is great, isn't it?  I haven't seen Night Gallery there, but now I'm going to look.  Thanks!  :)

You forgot, "Emergency."  ;)

Ah yes, I remember “Emergency” as well! I had a boyhood crush on Nurse Dixie ::)
Daryll & Erin
2013 Thor Damon Daybreak 34BD bunkhouse
Parker, Colorado

1988 Jeep Wrangler toad with Stowmaster 5000 tow bar

Permanent campsite in Redhill Forest near Fairplay, CO

Chameleonxanth

• ---
  • I think there are nomadic genes in my family line.
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2018, 05:43:18 PM »
Love both star trek and star wars. Heck I my GPS tells me to "maintain standard orbit"
we I reach my destination

OMG, I love that!  :) 
Now I'm going to feel uncool until my GPS tells me to maintain standard orbit. 
People will stop asking you questions if you answer back in interpretive dance.

Chameleonxanth

• ---
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2018, 05:45:35 PM »
I remember bets taken on if whatever unknown actor in the landing party would actually make it to the next ad.

Red Shirts!   
There's a book, fun and entertaining, based on Star Trek's red shirts, actually titled, "Red Shirts," by John Scalzi.  :)

Chameleonxanth

• ---
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2018, 05:51:35 PM »
You guys are awesome.  :)

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2018, 06:28:15 PM »
I searched the Amazon Prime web site and found this for you Trekkies. It is top ten episodes as voted by the fans:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01737U18S/ref=atv_feed_catalog&tag=iw_prime_tv-20&ref_=asc_homepage
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2018, 07:50:28 PM »
I have Direct TV, and one of the main reasons I keep it is that that the BBC channel routinely broadcasts old Trek episodes from many of the old series.  And the new FETV channel (Family Entertainment TV), airing old Barney Miller, and Hart to Hart episodes. Of course they are also airing TJ Hooker shows with William Shatner in the lead role. You talk about campy!
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Chameleonxanth

• ---
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2018, 08:32:56 PM »
I searched the Amazon Prime web site and found this for you Trekkies. It is top ten episodes as voted by the fans:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01737U18S/ref=atv_feed_catalog&tag=iw_prime_tv-20&ref_=asc_homepage

Oh, fun.  :)

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2018, 11:03:32 PM »
Red Shirts was not Scalzis best work IMHO.  But the Old Man's War series was awesome.  It's a shame he got tired of it.

Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2018, 11:14:49 PM »

One of the things I love about the Star Trek series is the way it openly addressed cultural issues of the time, a trait that continued into the further series, e.g., the first on screen interracial kiss, Uhura being female, black and a Bridge Officer in the 1960’s. 

Actually, that was the second onscreen interracial kiss.  Sammy Davis Jr. kissed Nancy Sinatra on her TV special seven months earlier.  Although it seemed spontaneous, Nancy said it was carefully planned:

https://www.neatorama.com/neatogeek/2013/04/10/TVs-First-Interracial-Kiss/

jims94vmx

• ---
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2018, 06:50:37 AM »
  forgot that i also have my gps say "warp engines now online, engage" after i pick my destination.

People think i am nuts! LOL

signcut

• ---
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2018, 07:19:47 AM »
I'm old school; I prefer the original to the following versions. Not that is anything 'wrong' with the later shows, but they just aren't the original, and so don't quite seem 'right'.

A movie we found to be a hilarious parody/spoof of Star Trek was Galaxy Quest...   
"Man is the only animal that blushes... or needs to." - Mark Twain

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2018, 07:47:06 AM »
Love the old original Star Trek Series, watched reruns every day in the early 70’s. Favorite episode, or 2? were the ones concerning Capt. Christopher Pike and the Talosians. Heck, I still watch an episode now & then on Hulu, which, by the way is a great source for older TV series. I still watch things like Land of the Giants, Lost in Space, Adam 12, Night Gallery, etc. Yes, Im afraid the campy shows do entertain me.😏

The original pilot which the network called "Too Ceberial" and "Too radical" featured Capt. Christopher Pike as the Captain and Mrs. Roddenberry playing the First Officer (ID'd only as "Number One" as I recall) they visited the Planet Talos # (4?) where they encountered the Talosians. The title of the pilot was "The Cage".

The network turned it down (Stupid Network Twits that they were) so Roddenberry came up with a new pilot and they accepted it. This time he had Spock (Who was Science Officer in the first version) doubling up as Number One.

Later on in the series was a 2 parter called "The Menagerie".. This featured much of the fottage from the original pilot.  In this episode Capt. Pike has been injured and is now crippled. his mind, though still in great shape. is no longer in communication with his body so he is paralized unable to speak just blink a light  yes/no (With today's technology he'd be able to speak. Heck with the technology of 1968 he and I could have held a conservation.. but tha's Morse Code for you).

SPOCK committed an act of Mutiny, took over the Enterprise and took Pike back to Talos so the Talosians could give him the ILLUSION of a healthy body.  He was subsequently cleared of all charges.

Save for confirming the episode names using Google and IMDB this is all from memory.

Chameleonxanth

• ---
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2018, 09:57:10 AM »
Red Shirts was not Scalzis best work IMHO.  But the Old Man's War series was awesome.  It's a shame he got tired of it.

Actually, I agree with you there; Red Shirts is fun, but Old Man's War is in a different class.  I loved that series and think I've recommended it to someone here... It's worth the read (or listen, William Dufris does a good job with it.)

Chameleonxanth

• ---
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2018, 09:59:11 AM »
  forgot that i also have my gps say "warp engines now online, engage" after i pick my destination.

People think i am nuts! LOL

Pfft. People who don't speak Klingon, probably. ;) 

(Okay, I don't speak Klingon, but I'm jealous of peeps who do.)

Chameleonxanth

• ---
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2018, 10:17:20 AM »
The original pilot which the network called "Too Ceberial" and "Too radical" featured Capt. Christopher Pike as the Captain and Mrs. Roddenberry playing the First Officer (ID'd only as "Number One" as I recall) they visited the Planet Talos # (4?) where they encountered the Talosians. The title of the pilot was "The Cage".

The network turned it down (Stupid Network Twits that they were) so Roddenberry came up with a new pilot and they accepted it. This time he had Spock (Who was Science Officer in the first version) doubling up as Number One.

Later on in the series was a 2 parter called "The Menagerie".. This featured much of the fottage from the original pilot.  In this episode Capt. Pike has been injured and is now crippled. his mind, though still in great shape. is no longer in communication with his body so he is paralized unable to speak just blink a light  yes/no (With today's technology he'd be able to speak. Heck with the technology of 1968 he and I could have held a conservation.. but tha's Morse Code for you).

SPOCK committed an act of Mutiny, took over the Enterprise and took Pike back to Talos so the Talosians could give him the ILLUSION of a healthy body.  He was subsequently cleared of all charges.

Save for confirming the episode names using Google and IMDB this is all from memory.

That is impressive, from recall. 
I remember the first part of the episode more than the second, when Kirk was imprisoned as a potential mate for the woman they had captive there (who later became a mate for Captain Pike, so that worked out).

Kirk, in trying to save her, finding out that she could not leave because her actual body was mangled such that she would not survive away from the aid of the aliens.

The scene that always pops into my head from that episode was during their simulated picnic, the woman and Kirk, wherein he was trying to talk with her about their situation and how to get out of it and she said something like, "My headaches, Darling remember?" because the aliens afflicted her with terrible head pain when she didn't comply.

Interesting backstory about the first episode.  That explains then why Captain Piccard called Riker, "Number One."  I believe that is what the first officer, Michael is called in the new series, Discovery, as well.
:)

Dvan

• ---
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2018, 11:00:07 AM »
Ok, now I’m going to have to watch those episodes again :D
Daryll & Erin
2013 Thor Damon Daybreak 34BD bunkhouse
Parker, Colorado

1988 Jeep Wrangler toad with Stowmaster 5000 tow bar

Permanent campsite in Redhill Forest near Fairplay, CO

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2018, 04:58:40 PM »
As I said. in that 2 parter they used a lot of footage already on hand from The Cage.  The scenes you cite where the The Talosians captured the captain  That was Pike, not Kirk, Shatner had not yet been cast.  In the 2 part episode Menagerie Kirk is on the Enterprise, a shuttle and the star base only. NEVER on Talous.   THey also captured a couple females.  One of whom was "Number One" forget who the other was.   As well as the one they had put back together after the crash of the first ship to ever reach that planet.

As for doing it from Memory. Fan of show. Drink Coffee which enhanses memory not booze which kills brain cells.

Oh this has nothing to do with Star Trek save for a few bits of background music but

2-4 PM Eastern on WRCJFM.org is Pipe dreams.. Pipe organ musci
5-6 PM eastern is Wind and Rhythm  Symphonic bands or Wind Symphony  No strings Some very good stuff today but they are signing off as I type

And from 6-7 it's Classics at the movies or something like that .. Classical music from movies. Hosted by Jack Goggins he does a "Theme" may be a series of movies or a composer or a type of move every Sunday.

Then from 7pm to 6am it's all jazz all night
Then 6am they switch to All Classical All Day.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 05:01:50 PM by John From Detroit »

Chameleonxanth

• ---
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2018, 05:20:14 PM »
As I said. in that 2 parter they used a lot of footage already on hand from The Cage.  The scenes you cite where the The Talosians captured the captain  That was Pike, not Kirk, Shatner had not yet been cast.  In the 2 part episode Menagerie Kirk is on the Enterprise, a shuttle and the star base only. NEVER on Talous.   THey also captured a couple females.  One of whom was "Number One" forget who the other was.   As well as the one they had put back together after the crash of the first ship to ever reach that planet.

As for doing it from Memory. Fan of show. Drink Coffee which enhanses memory not booze which kills brain cells.

Oh this has nothing to do with Star Trek save for a few bits of background music but

2-4 PM Eastern on WRCJFM.org is Pipe dreams.. Pipe organ musci
5-6 PM eastern is Wind and Rhythm  Symphonic bands or Wind Symphony  No strings Some very good stuff today but they are signing off as I type

And from 6-7 it's Classics at the movies or something like that .. Classical music from movies. Hosted by Jack Goggins he does a "Theme" may be a series of movies or a composer or a type of move every Sunday.

Then from 7pm to 6am it's all jazz all night
Then 6am they switch to All Classical All Day.

OMG, you're right; I've just watched a clip of the episode I thought had Kirk in it.  So strange how the memory superimposes what it thinks was there.

I don't drink alcohol.

Optimistic Paranoid

• ---
  • On the Road to Come What May
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2018, 05:40:03 PM »
Drink Coffee which enhances memory not booze which kills brain cells.

You know, there's actually a theory floating around that killing some of your brain cells is a GOOD thing.

(https://i.imgur.com/dI00zIjl.jpg "border=0")][URL=https://i.imgur.com/dI00zIj.jpg "target=new"](https://i.imgur.com/dI00zIjl.jpg "border=0")
(https://i.imgur.com/m3zZPvb.png)Click For Full-Size Image.[/url]
Rule #1 for Boondockers: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!
My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed...
I don't like to make advanced plans.  They cause the word "PREMEDITATED" to get used in court!

Chameleonxanth

• ---
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2018, 06:13:10 PM »
You know, there's actually a theory floating around that killing some of your brain cells is a GOOD thing.

(https://i.imgur.com/dI00zIjl.jpg "border=0")][URL=https://i.imgur.com/dI00zIj.jpg "target=new"](https://i.imgur.com/dI00zIjl.jpg "border=0")
(https://i.imgur.com/m3zZPvb.png)Click For Full-Size Image.[/url]

The first link didn't load, but the second one is cute.  :) 

Huge coffee fan, btw.

chindog

• ---
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2018, 06:41:27 PM »
I once met Robby the robot.  This was in his heyday a couple of years after the release of Forbidden Planet.  He was appearing inside a store at the opening of a new shopping center, and my folks took me to see him.  I was just a small child at the time, about 4 years old.  We walked up to him, and he bent over and stuck out his claw to shake hands with me.  I was so terrified, I ran out of the store, jumped in the car, and cowered in the floor of the back seat.

Robby is not the same robot as the Lost In Space robot, although they look similar, and were created by the same guy.  Robby did make guest appearances in a couple of Lost In Space episodes, though.

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Honda CRV toad

Chameleonxanth

• ---
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2018, 07:23:26 PM »
I once met Robby the robot.  This was in his heyday a couple of years after the release of Forbidden Planet.  He was appearing inside a store at the opening of a new shopping center, and my folks took me to see him.  I was just a small child at the time, about 4 years old.  We walked up to him, and he bent over and stuck out his claw to shake hands with me.  I was so terrified, I ran out of the store, jumped in the car, and cowered in the floor of the back seat.

Robby is not the same robot as the Lost In Space robot, although they look similar, and were created by the same guy.  Robby did make guest appearances in a couple of Lost In Space episodes, though.

One of those experiences that are maybe not so enjoyable at the time, but become a fun memory to keep.  :)

biggersm

• ---
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2018, 07:52:10 PM »
I'm not surprised that a group of RV owners would prefer Star Trek over Star Wars.  Star Trek seemed to be more mobile with a very definable form a transportation (the Enterprise) going all over the Galaxy...such an adventure! 

Star Wars seem to mostly take place on planets (or death stars) with the only possible exception being the Millennium Falcon (but so little of the Star Wars movies appeared on the Millennium Falcon).
Mike and Marcia
Flagstaff T21DMHW
Toyota Highlander
Honda Goldwing

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2018, 08:00:37 PM »
Or maybe it's because they are mostly 'of a certain age'?   ;)
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2018, 08:47:29 PM »
Then I stand corrected. I thought they were the same -- live and learn.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2018, 09:15:03 PM »
Actually I am more of a Star Wars fan than even Star Trek, but the OP asked about Star Trek. Kevin and I actually went on our first date to see Star Wars, each of us for the second time. That’s what you get with a scientist and an engineer.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2018, 10:32:46 PM »

Later on in the series was a 2 parter called "The Menagerie"

Star Trek was the most technically complicated TV series Desilu Productions had ever attempted, and Gene Roddenberry was under extreme pressure to get each episode shot and edited in time for the weekly broadcast.  So re-using The Cage pilot became his ace in the hole, by shooting a minimal amount of additional footage he could gain two weeks of breathing room to get out the rest of the season's episodes.

When the studio cut down The Cage to make The Menagerie two-parter, the unused footage was simply thrown out, in accordance with their policy at the time.  When the Star Trek phenomenon started taking off, Gene released The Cage to the videotape market but had to substitute grainy black and white backup footage for the deleted scenes.

Then the person who did the actual editing contacted Gene, and said he was a Star Trek fan from the start.  When he was called upon to cut down The Cage to fit inside The Menagerie, he couldn't bear to throw out the unused footage, instead in violation of studio policy he took it home and preserved it. 

Now he wanted to give it back to Gene, but the two of them had to do some fancy footwork to keep the editor out of trouble.  Eventually it all worked out, and Gene was thrilled to have The Cage restored to it's original form.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 10:53:39 PM by Lou Schneider »

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2018, 03:41:11 AM »
I'm not surprised that a group of RV owners would prefer Star Trek over Star Wars.  Star Trek seemed to be more mobile with a very definable form a transportation (the Enterprise) going all over the Galaxy...such an adventure! 

Star Wars seem to mostly take place on planets (or death stars) with the only possible exception being the Millennium Falcon (but so little of the Star Wars movies appeared on the Millennium Falcon).
I am an RVer and I prefer SW over ST but it is such a minor thing to me I don't want to get involved in an argument. Neither one of them are in my top 100 movies.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1