Hello from Elk River, MN!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pugdaddy

Hello !!!  My name is John, and I have 3 Pugs.  Thus the name Pugdaddy.  I recently purchased a 92 Winnebago Chieftain.  It?s got some problems needing fixing, but I am happy with it.  My primary concern at the moment is getting the generator to start.  The person I bought it from told me it didn?t work, but didn?t know anything else.  They only had it for a short time and decided to buy a newer model.  I have gone through the checklist in the manual and have done the following... Replaced auxiliary batteries.  Generator will turn over but won?t start.  Changed oil, oil filter, spark plugs, and air filter.  Planning on replacing plug wires, fuel filter, and maybe fuel pump.  Am I missing anything?  I have a remote switch on the range hood, but there is also a switch in the bedroom on the exterior of cabinet above the circuit breakers.  Letters are worn on the switch, but one side says GEN.  What is this switch for?  Appreciate any help.

Carburetor, either needs a good cleaning or replacement as does the gas line filter. The gasoline with ethanol is hard on carburetors. Is the carb getting gas?? The only other thing you might consider is the rubber fuel line from the tank to pump along with the pump. The rubber line tends to rot over time and the ethanol only speeds that up.

The engine has to be run on a regular basis (monthly) with a partial load at least. When stored, use a good stabilizer like Stabil.

Do you have an Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) or a manual system where you have to plug in the normal power cord to another input socket to use??

That second switch might be another remote start switch, try it and see.

I don't know your specific generator, but often they don't start because the generator has sensors for oil over or underfill and lack of 120V output. Or the other usual suspects such as missing air/fuel/spark may be the cause. So Stu's comments are good.

You have the right kind of dogs.  That's all I can offer.  We have a daughter in Woodbury.  Maryland here.  Welcome!

Simple things first.  There's more than 1/4 tank in your fuel tank, right? 
The fuel pickup for the genny is generally set in the tank so it won't pick up the last 1/4 tank.  That way you won't be stranded in the boonies by running the genny too much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DUSM0518
Back
Top Bottom