Atwood hot water not lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnrf76

I know this subject has been discussed before , but I can?t find my particular issue.  Last week,I replaced the atwood hot water heater in our rv (6 gal, propane only,electric ignition). It worked good initially, but now I?ve got issues.  When I hit the switch, I can hear it click but no flame.it does this 3 times then is locked.i can go outside when it tries to light and light the burner with a match. It burns or 5 seconds and then goes out.  So, it is getting gas.  Any ideas where I should look?

1st welcome to the forum.
This may sound stupid, but I have to ask. Do you have any propane?  Does your fridge, stove and furnace work OK?

If you have propane and your tube is clear of spiders or other insects, could be your board.

Mine did the exact same thing. Very easy to replace or can take it to any dealer to test the board.

They just changed suppliers recently. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies.  Yes, it has a full tank of propane , the stove and fridge work fine.  Kind of discouraging as this is a brand new unit.  I?ve checked the only known fuse for it in the panel box, and it?s good.  The fact that the gas valve opens tells me that the eco isn?t tripped.  Does the fact that I can manually light it, but it won?t stay lit indicate the board isn?t getting power? 

Johnrf76 said:
Does the fact that I can manually light it, but it won?t stay lit indicate the board isn?t getting power?
No, that tells me that the board is not sensing the flame. If you had no power to the board, it wouldn't lite at all. 

Well, it?s not lighting on its own.  I have to go out to the heater, and use a match for it to light.  It has a good flame, but after 5 seconds or so, gas is shut off.

Unplug all the wires one by one and clean the respective contacts. A pencil eraser works good for this. Once cleaned, plug them back in and then unplug them several times to make sure the mating contact is somewhat clean.

Mine was new also.  I did everything mentioned.  Had a tech come out to make Dometic/Atwood happy.  They sent a new board to Grand Design who sent it to me.  That one failed....had it tested.  Was on a conference call with Grand Design and Dometic and they sent me another board this time from their new supplier.  I was advised by a member of another forum that i might want to change out the electrode that causes the spark so i mentioned to Atwood that as well and they sent me both.  When i got my new board it was for gas only,  ooops on their part.  Overnighted me the one i have had on for months.  Again, new supplier.  I hear Dinosaur boards are getting a good reputation as well.  They only require 2 screws and a couple wire clips to take out....easy to take to get tested.  Should be no charge for this 1 minute easy test......but by all means try everything just in case you have a bad contact.  But mine did exactly as you describe (as well as others on our forum).  Good luck.

Well, it?s not lighting on its own.  I have to go out to the heater, and use a match for it to light.

This tells me that the igniter/flame detector is at fault. The part sits in the flame and  serves both purposes and is cheap to replace but if new, it may be on warranty. Try Ren?'s suggestion first though, especially the wire connection from the flame detector to the board.

Johnrf76 said:
I know this subject has been discussed before , but I can?t find my particular issue.  Last week,I replaced the atwood hot water heater in our rv (6 gal, propane only,electric ignition). It worked good initially, but now I?ve got issues.  When I hit the switch, I can hear it click but no flame.it does this 3 times then is locked.i can go outside when it tries to light and light the burner with a match. It burns or 5 seconds and then goes out.  So, it is getting gas.  Any ideas where I should look?
You need a new circuit board.

Thanks for all the tips.  It definitely is under warranty, and I will call tomorrow to see if they want me to take it somewhere or just send me the parts.

Please reply when you find out what the problem was. I am having the same problem with a new unit. Q

Atwood sent me a new circuit board.  After a 3 minute installation, I flipped the switch and the gas ignited, and continued to run until I turned it off. ;D  I hope this board lasts longer than the original,  it is configured a little differently, so probably a different supplier.

Thanks for the follow up reply. I have a call into a tech representative. He is working to get me a circuit board also.

Johnrf76 said:
Atwood sent me a new circuit board.  After a 3 minute installation, I flipped the switch and the gas ignited, and continued to run until I turned it off. ;D  I hope this board lasts longer than the original,  it is configured a little differently, so probably a different supplier.
I told you. Good call.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom