North Georgia to Montana - Is this a crazy idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leftaslide

We really want to visit Glacier National Park next year (looking at end of September, early August). We own a 2011 Jayco Jayflight. Am I nuts for considering hauling this thing across the country? Looking at a two week time frame there and back. No rush, really, just want to take in the sights and take it easy. Thoughts?

Atlanta to Glacier is 2200 miles. If you drive 300 miles a day (which is a lot in an RV) It will take you seven days to get there and seven to get back. 400 miles a day means 6 days each way. Doesn't leave you a lot of time to relax and enjoy Glacier. Glacier is a stunning National Park and well worth the effort to visit it but I think you would be happier doing the trip in 3 weeks.

I agree that it is a LONG way for the time you have.  Even if you can add a 3-4 days and maybe push the driving a bit.  Something to think about.  I live in MT and I can tell you that if it is crazy to come that far in an RV, then there are a lot of crazy people!  We see RV license plates from all over.  I encourage you to make the trip.  It will definitely be unforgettable.

The only way I would consider it is if you have multiple drivers that can rotate out and drive sunrise to sunset for 3 or 4 days to get there and back.  As mentioned it is 2,200 miles, assuming you can manage averaging 50 mph, which is hard enough to do in an RV stopping only for fuel and switching drivers, each driver doing an 8 hour shift, and being on the road 16 hours per day.  Assuming summer time where is is light for very long in the northern states.  That is 800 miles per day, just shy of 3 solid days of driving each way at this pace.  Or in other words 6 out of your 14 days on the road from before sunrise until after sunset.

leftaslide said:
Am I nuts for considering hauling this thing across the country?
LOL -I asked myself that very question about 3 hours into our trip from NY to Yellowstone back in 2007! It was worth every minute, though. It was also about 2,200 miles one-way and we took 3 weeks...that included a couple of heavy (8-10 hours) driving days each way and we still had to compromise on what to see along the route and once we got there (stayed for 7 days). Although I have never been to Glacier, I definitely encourage you to make the trip at some point. But I agree with the others that time will be against you with a 2-week plan.

Driving that distance in two weeks is not going to be relaxing. You cannot drive an RV as fast as a car, and you must focus more on your driving because of winds and road hazards, so you will not have time to enjoy the scenery. 

I think even three weeks is pushing it, but that is certainly better than trying to do it in two weeks.

I have an alternate idea just in case three weeks is out of the question. Forget the Jayco. Fly to Butte Montana and rent an RV. Spend four days at Glacier, four days at Yellowstone and four days at Grand Tetons.

SeilerBird said:
I have an alternate idea just in case three weeks is out of the question. Forget the Jayco. Fly to Butte Montana and rent an RV. Spend four days at Glacier, four days at Yellowstone and four days at Grand Tetons.

:)) :)) :)) :)) :))  I agree

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom