Roof sealant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

95Nasher

Hi there,

Just bought our first TT, a 24' 1995 Nash.  Previous owner said he applied Kool Seal to the roof last spring but when I cleaned the roof I saw that it is peeling on the ends of the trailer and a few other spots.  Roof doesn't look great (dingy) and I would like to redo with Dicor.  Question is, do I have to remove all the existing Kool Seal before I apply the Dicor or just the areas that are peeling?  How do you remove old sealant?  Thanks much.  Jim

If the Kool Seal is peeling, it needs to be removed. Your call as to whether to remove it all or just the part that is peeling NOW. Applying a new coating over one that is peeling is a waste of effort, since the bottom layer will continue topeel and the new coating just comes off with it.

He may have used the regular Kool Seal rather than Kool Seal RV. The latter is compatible with EPDM rubber roofs, while the former is not unless a primer is applied first. Or perhaps he simply didn't clean and prep the surface well enough.

What Gary said!

The new coating will stick to what is there now, and if it peels off next month, your new coating will come with it.

Thanks for the reply.  If he used the wrong Kool Seal without primer, is the rubber roof going to be damaged?

Any tips on getting the old sealant off the roof?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom