F150 with 3.5 ecoboost or Ram 1500 ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, I wouldnt tow a 5th wheel with a half ton unless the 5th wheel was specifically designed to be towed by a half ton.  Unfortunately, half tons arent the right choice if your even considering a 5th wheel.

My advice is to find your TT/5th wheel and then go truck shopping.  Bring a calculator and make sure you have enough CCC to tow your trailer and still bring your family along ;)

Saw this a while back on another post, so I'll post it here hoping it helps :) 

Look for a yellow banner placard on the driver door latch post which states the max weight of passengers and cargo shall not exceed xxxx pounds.  That is the payload for YOUR truck.  from the Payload, subtract the weight of all passengers, car seats, games, snacks and toys carried in the truck.  Subtract another 80 lbs for a WD hitch.  What is left is the max hitch weight the truck can handle.  Multiply by 10 to get the absolute heaviest camper (GVWR) you can tow, assuming 10% hitch wt.  For a 12.5% hitch wt., multiply remaining payload by 8.
~Grashley

Welcome to the Forum!

Yes, new trucks are built stronger and stiffer than they were 10 or 20 years ago.

Yes, a 150 or 1500 can pull many nice TT.  Verify the weights.  Do not believe published specs.  They do not apply to the truck YOU will buy!

THE FACTS:  Max Towing assumes a BASE MODEL, max towing option, a full fuel tank and two 150 lb passengers.  It assumes 10% hitch wt.  NO cargo, NO additional passengers, NO OPTIONS.  The truth, found in the small print, is every pound of options, cargo or added passengers must be subtracted from max tow.  Also, the true hitch wt will likely be above 10%.  Believing max tow will overload the truck.

Payload, by definition, is the truck GVWR minus truck curb wt (all options installed, full fuel tank, NO PASSENGERS or cargo)  For any vehicle built since 2009, there is a yellow banner placard on the driver door latch pillar which states... the maximum weight of all passengers and cargo shall not exceed XXXX.  This is the Payload for THAT vehicle as it left the factory.

For any truck you buy, ignore published data.  Look for THAT placard.  Add the weight of all passengers, car seats, snacks, toys, tools, firewood, etc to be carried in the truck.  FOR A TT, add 80# for a WD hitch plus 10 - 12% of the trailer GVWR.  Make sure the payload can handle this.  FOR A FW, add 200# for a FW hitch and add 20% of the FW GVWR.  I seriously doubt the FW will stay under the Payload.

If that FW weight is dry wt, then the let's go camping weight will be closer to 11,000#, or 2200# pin wt, plus 200# hitch ....  If it is just you and your better half in a reg cab base model with max tow and only a few options, you MAY be OK with this small FW, but not a bigger one!  If you have a fully loaded crew cab with max tow and carry the whole family, you will be WAY OVERWEIGHT!!

EDIT I typed while you posted.

I stole a bit of one of your previous posts there Grashley as I thought it covered the needed info, hope thats ok :)

Fifth Wheels and half tons dont mix unless its a FW designed for a half ton and those are small and devoid of options ;)

Joe, Absolutely no problem.  The objective is getting the information to those who need it!

It is amazing what can be accomplished when no one cares who gets the credit!!

I live at an RV park in southern California.

About 30% of the travel trailers and some smaller 5th wheels that come in here are being towed by 1/2 ton trucks.
Many of them are from Canada and the other side of the country.

There is a whole lot of families I see that appear to have no problems towing with 1/2 ton trucks.

That Yellow sticker is for Tire size, pressure, and maximum loads....largely for that tire.  Change to larger wheels/tires,  and you changed the yellow sticker values.

Grashley, I made sure your name was on it ;)

And that was my line of thinking, it was direct and straight forward info so I figured it was worth sharing :)

Thanks

grashley said:
Welcome to the Forum!

Yes, new trucks are built stronger and stiffer than they were 10 or 20 years ago.

Yes, a 150 or 1500 can pull many nice TT.  Verify the weights.  Do not believe published specs.  They do not apply to the truck YOU will buy!

THE FACTS:  Max Towing assumes a BASE MODEL, max towing option, a full fuel tank and two 150 lb passengers.  It assumes 10% hitch wt.  NO cargo, NO additional passengers, NO OPTIONS.  The truth, found in the small print, is every pound of options, cargo or added passengers must be subtracted from max tow.  Also, the true hitch wt will likely be above 10%.  Believing max tow will overload the truck.

Payload, by definition, is the truck GVWR minus truck curb wt (all options installed, full fuel tank, NO PASSENGERS or cargo)  For any vehicle built since 2009, there is a yellow banner placard on the driver door latch pillar which states... the maximum weight of all passengers and cargo shall not exceed XXXX.  This is the Payload for THAT vehicle as it left the factory.

For any truck you buy, ignore published data.  Look for THAT placard.  Add the weight of all passengers, car seats, snacks, toys, tools, firewood, etc to be carried in the truck.  FOR A TT, add 80# for a WD hitch plus 10 - 12% of the trailer GVWR.  Make sure the payload can handle this.  FOR A FW, add 200# for a FW hitch and add 20% of the FW GVWR.  I seriously doubt the FW will stay under the Payload.

If that FW weight is dry wt, then the let's go camping weight will be closer to 11,000#, or 2200# pin wt, plus 200# hitch ....  If it is just you and your better half in a reg cab base model with max tow and only a few options, you MAY be OK with this small FW, but not a bigger one!  If you have a fully loaded crew cab with max tow and carry the whole family, you will be WAY OVERWEIGHT!!

EDIT I typed while you posted.

I tow a 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton 2016 F150 XLT Supercab. No problems, no push from big trucks, I could steer with two fingers, even while being passed by a big truck.
Careful on which 1/2 ton you buy. Don't assume a bigger truck has more capacity.
I was at the dealer getting my oil changed and the integrated brake controller activated the other day and had time to wander the lot. I looked at a lot of 1/2ton. Most had more features and higher towing capacity, however they had less payload capacity than my truck.
I have a 2016 F150 Supercab XLT, 3.5L EcoBoost, 2wdr 3.55 with electronic locking rear axle, towing package (not max tow), factory spray in bed liner, nerf bars, bed side steps, and I added towing mirrors, the integrated brake controller, and a roll up tonnue cover. My max towing is 11,000 pounds and max payload is 2,100 pounds per the yellow sticker. I weighed the truck with the wife, me, the dogs, full tank of gas, and all the options listed above. Plus about 200 pounds for a Reese 15k sliding hitch and mounting hardware. Truck weighed 5,400 pounds fully loaded and ready for hauling a 5th wheel. My max GWR for the truck is 6,900. Minus the 5,400 truck weight and I have room for 1,500 pin weight.

4wdr reduces payload capacity, crew cab reduces payload capacity, optional 36 gallon gas tank reduces payload capacity (but it sure would be nice to have the extra fuel). XL doesn't offer the right equipment to properly rig the truck for towing a 5th wheel, and the other trim packages reduce payload capacity. Regular cab has a short wheel base, which would give you the white knuckle experience. My wheelbase is 145" and I have no issues with steering at highway speeds in town or on the open road.

The integrated brake controller is awesome and it works with the anti-sway feature on the truck. The truck will activate the trailer brakes to reduce sway, without you doing anything. My 5th wheel has dual axles and both axles have electric brakes. Fords integrated brake controller powers both of them. Plus once you configure the 5th wheel and name it, the system remembers your settings and activates the power feed to your trailer to recharge the battery while traveling. My 5th wheel unit has a 12v fridge and runs while I'm traveling, no problem keeping the battery charged while traveling, even with the fridge on.
I also tow a fishing boat and have the system configured for it. When I hook up I select either the 5th wheel or the boat and it remembers my activates my settings respectively. I can configure up to 10 trailers.

Another feature I like the the USB port to charge my phone and link my phones apps to the truck. I currently use google maps to navigate, although I am looking to upgrade to an RV app in the future.

This F150 has the aluminum bed, however it also has a fully boxed frame, which adds a ton of strength for towing and hauling. Huge difference compared to the old c-channel frames.

There are several 1/2 ton towable 5th wheels out there, you just have to do your homework on the truck and matching camper. I went with the K-Z Sportsmen 231RK because its short, 25'. Short enough and light enough that my truck can pull it, and my boat behind it and still be under Illinois 60' length limit on the county roads and in cities. There is no length limit on Class 1 and Class roads in Illinois, just the county roads and cities. however there is a 5 mile grace distance to your destination, fuel, or storage facility.

Hanr3 said:
I tow a 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton 2016 F150 XLT Supercab. No problems, no push from big trucks, I could steer with two fingers, even while being passed by a big truck.
Careful on which 1/2 ton you buy. Don't assume a bigger truck has more capacity.
I was at the dealer getting my oil changed and the integrated brake controller activated the other day and had time to wander the lot. I looked at a lot of 1/2ton. Most had more features and higher towing capacity, however they had less payload capacity than my truck.
I have a 2016 F150 Supercab XLT, 3.5L EcoBoost, 2wdr 3.55 with electronic locking rear axle, towing package (not max tow), factory spray in bed liner, nerf bars, bed side steps, and I added towing mirrors, the integrated brake controller, and a roll up tonnue cover. My max towing is 11,000 pounds and max payload is 2,100 pounds per the yellow sticker. I weighed the truck with the wife, me, the dogs, full tank of gas, and all the options listed above. Plus about 200 pounds for a Reese 15k sliding hitch and mounting hardware. Truck weighed 5,400 pounds fully loaded and ready for hauling a 5th wheel. My max GWR for the truck is 6,900. Minus the 5,400 truck weight and I have room for 1,500 pin weight.

4wdr reduces payload capacity, crew cab reduces payload capacity, optional 36 gallon gas tank reduces payload capacity (but it sure would be nice to have the extra fuel). XL doesn't offer the right equipment to properly rig the truck for towing a 5th wheel, and the other trim packages reduce payload capacity. Regular cab has a short wheel base, which would give you the white knuckle experience. My wheelbase is 145" and I have no issues with steering at highway speeds in town or on the open road.

The integrated brake controller is awesome and it works with the anti-sway feature on the truck. The truck will activate the trailer brakes to reduce sway, without you doing anything. My 5th wheel has dual axles and both axles have electric brakes. Fords integrated brake controller powers both of them. Plus once you configure the 5th wheel and name it, the system remembers your settings and activates the power feed to your trailer to recharge the battery while traveling. My 5th wheel unit has a 12v fridge and runs while I'm traveling, no problem keeping the battery charged while traveling, even with the fridge on.
I also tow a fishing boat and have the system configured for it. When I hook up I select either the 5th wheel or the boat and it remembers my activates my settings respectively. I can configure up to 10 trailers.

Another feature I like the the USB port to charge my phone and link my phones apps to the truck. I currently use google maps to navigate, although I am looking to upgrade to an RV app in the future.

This F150 has the aluminum bed, however it also has a fully boxed frame, which adds a ton of strength for towing and hauling. Huge difference compared to the old c-channel frames.

There are several 1/2 ton towable 5th wheels out there, you just have to do your homework on the truck and matching camper. I went with the K-Z Sportsmen 231RK because its short, 25'. Short enough and light enough that my truck can pull it, and my boat behind it and still be under Illinois 60' length limit on the county roads and in cities. There is no length limit on Class 1 and Class roads in Illinois, just the county roads and cities. however there is a 5 mile grace distance to your destination, fuel, or storage facility.

thats the key a small trailer and a base (xlt) truck - problem is everyone wants the big tailer and loaded truck - anything is possible IF done right

OBX said:
I'm hoping the new 2500s come out before we make our purchase.  I want to see what their updated numbers are to make a good comparison.

If you're looking at a 3/4 ton you might as well look at the 1 ton.  I looked at and drove both when I bought my 1 ton.  There was essentially no price difference, and the ride and drive we're the same.  In my case I gained an extra 1200 or so pounds of payload.  You might not need it now, but if you ever get a bigger trailer in the future it will help out. 

To Hanr3:

Weight Police here!  That camper shows a GVWR of 7000#, which yields about a 1400# pin weight.
You did your homework well. Congratulations!

Note to other readers:  Read his comments on the right truck.  He kept it simple.  He weighed the truck to verify sufficient remaining payload.  He bought a VERY small FW.  He did things right!

It is possible to tow a FW with a half ton truck, but you can't do it with just any half ton or just any FW.  He could not pull over 95% of the FW on the market, and 90% of the half ton trucks out there could not safely pull his camper!

Thanks grashley. Yes I did my homework. Took almost two years to sort through all the information and find the right combination.

Someone mentioned that smaller 5th wheels don't have options. That may be true on other 5th Wheels. However the K-Z 231RK Sportsmen has every option the wife and I need for camping, fishing, and hunting.
Ours came with an upgraded A/C unit 15,000 instead of 13,500, 30k BTU furnace instead of 25k, and the 10cu' 12v fridge instead of the 8cu' with 12v/propane. My unit is still 30amp, which gives me more options on campsites. LED (3 levels) lighted Power Awning with internal and external controls (optional wind retract and motion light), tv/stereo/dvd player interconnected and operated by one remote, microwave, toy cable lock, lights everywhere, tap lights in key areas, switchable outside step lights, motion activated lights at the entrance and basement, roof ladder, rear rack 250lb rating, fully insulated and heated underbelly for cold weather camping, two 30 pound propane tanks, city water and fresh water tank (38 gallon), outside shower, two gray water tanks totally 89 gallons, 57 gallon black water tank, cable/satellite/solar ready, and 1 slide out with jack-knife couch. The only things I need to caution others looking at this camper is, the jack knife couch and drop down table reasonable accommodate people shorter than 5'8". You can get longer people on them if they lay diagonally. You also MUST have a sliding hitch. In the travel position my tailgate will not fully drop without hitting the basement of the 5th wheel, even perfectly square. In the maneuver position there is plenty of space between the truck tailgate and basement that you will never make contact, even at full turns.   

grashley said:
To Hanr3:

Weight Police here!  That camper shows a GVWR of 7000#, which yields about a 1400# pin weight.
You did your homework well. Congratulations!

Note to other readers:  Read his comments on the right truck.  He kept it simple.  He weighed the truck to verify sufficient remaining payload.  He bought a VERY small FW.  He did things right!

It is possible to tow a FW with a half ton truck, but you can't do it with just any half ton or just any FW.  He could not pull over 95% of the FW on the market, and 90% of the half ton trucks out there could not safely pull his camper!

There is no doubt that today's half ton trucks are capable.  As long as they equipped properly and the trailer is within its limits, there is nothing wrong with towing with a half ton truck.  This is especially true if only a small percentage of the trucks use is for towing.

I chose to tow with a 3/4 ton Diesel because I like lots of torque, having an engine brake when towing on down grades and the general feel I get when driving it.  To me, it feels just like driving a car.  I guess I'm just getting old and lazy.  Its my second Diesel and I'll never have a gas truck as long as I do a significant amount of towing.

interesting post #28 from Hanr3 ....

After many people say what all you can't do with a 1/2 ton....and this guy is pulling Doubles with a 1/2 ton   :))

"There are several 1/2 ton towable 5th wheels out there, you just have to do your homework on the truck and matching camper. I went with the K-Z Sportsmen 231RK because its short, 25'. Short enough and light enough that my truck can pull it, and my boat behind it and still be under Illinois 60' length limit on the county roads and in cities. There is no length limit on Class 1 and Class roads in Illinois, just the county roads and cities. however there is a 5 mile grace distance to your destination, fuel, or storage facility.

Love that Ecoboost  :)) :))

Anything and everything is possible - but there is a failure rate and risk factor associated. Some people will never  listen no matter what you tell them.

Are you willing to take the risk bottom line. And if you are - are you willing to pay the price.

Good people share good knowledge for good reason

I have a question for the naysayers to towing with a 1/2 ton truck. Is your opinion on the matter based on real world experience or is it just your opinion? Is there anyone who has towed with a 3/4 ton and then downgraded to a 1/2 ton out there that could share their thoughts? Now I realize that a3/4 or 1 ton truck can do the job much easier and with lots less effort but that doesn't mean a 1/2 ton couldn't get the job done and done safely. Just curious.

Pdchurch said:
I have a question for the naysayers to towing with a 1/2 ton truck. Is your opinion on the matter based on real world experience or is it just your opinion? Is there anyone who has towed with a 3/4 ton and then downgraded to a 1/2 ton out there that could share their thoughts? Now I realize that a3/4 or 1 ton truck can do the job much easier and with lots less effort but that doesn't mean a 1/2 ton couldn't get the job done and done safely. Just curious.

I have towed with all 1/2 ton 3/4 ton 1 ton srw and 1 ton dually and have owned 3 of 4 at the same time and currently have a 1/2 ton and a 1 ton dually , and have probably towed 100 different trailers ( borrowed lol)and owned more than a dozen trailers and started towing at 14 with a 22ft Scamper
Truck parts both aftermarket and heavy duty parts is what i do and have been doing for 20 years plus
I sold hitches,airbags, aftermarket parts for 1/2 tons , biult oil field trucks, flat decks, picker trucks, and work for International currently selling hd stuff.

Towed my current 5 er which is 4 years old more than 20000 miles in 4 years and wore out a set of tires on it. Grew up with my dad the plant manager at Scamper trailers in the 80s. I think that qualifies me as someone with a little bit of experience. Im always glad to answer questions like many of us old farts here lol

Everyday,  I'll see people with half ton trucks pulling 25 to 30 foot travel trailers come in from every state in America. 

The Naysayers may say it can't be done.......but there sure is a lot of people doing it.    :D

Pdchurch said:

I have not been a naysayer on this particular post but I have offered my opinion on 1/2 ton towing a few times over the years. From 2004-2006 I towed a 7,000 lb GVWR TT with a 1999 Silverado 1500 with 7,400 lb tow rating. I was less educated (possibly even uneducated) about towing at the time. The truck was loaded (power seats, Z71 package, auto 4WD, etc) so my actual tow rating and cargo capacity were much less than advertised. I frequently had the truck bed loaded with coolers, firewood, bikes, etc. The truck got the job done but I was surely overloaded and do not wish to repeat the experience (including two brown stain inducing emergency braking incidents). I upgraded to a 2002 2500 in 2006 and it handled the same TT much better (but was actually still barely under GCWR). Today's 1/2 tons would handle that 7,000 lb TT much better - no one is arguing that - from what I've read here, the "naysayer" replies are mainly when towing very near capacity. I see the same replies when someone questions pulling a larger 5th wheel with a 2500 with marginal cargo capacity.

sightseers said:

Everyday,  I'll see people with half ton trucks pulling 25 to 30 foot travel trailers come in from every state in America. 

The Naysayers may say it can't be done.......but there sure is a lot of people doing it.    :D

1/2 ton or 3/4 ton, I rarely see anyone say it "can't" be done...only that it "shouldn't".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom