Maiden Voyage Some What Costly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVSSNAKE

Well we took the, new to us, Monaco Diplomat out for a 10 day cruise(not 3 hour) although almost as disastrous.

We had our passenger side windshield cracked by a rock then really cracked by a storm blowing debris.

Not too much of a problem we have insurance so we will be out our deductible.

Then when we went to close our awning at the last of 3 campgrounds the awning would not roll up on its own I had to borrow a ladder to hand roll it up.

So I can only assume broken springs(and the need for a ladder with us in the future), if anyone has any other idea I would be glad to listen but am planning on ordering a new set.

It is a manual Carefree of Colorado 19'.

Oh, and the dash air while ice cold is getting the floor under the dash wet too.

Any ideas on that would really be helpful.

Gilligan help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the A/C.. there is a drain tube that may be pinched or  clogged. Alas I can not tell you EXACTLY where it is other then passenger side, usually just before the firewall) IN front of it).

ON the awning.. Is it an electri.. no you said manual. Yes it might be a bad spring or simply a sheared pin. Carefree has a manual/power awning.  Best way to describe it is to look at a Sunsetter Awning Commercial on TV.. THe hand crank version.. That, and a book with the model lines in it. is all I knwo about 'em.

Had our passenger side windshield replaced back a few years ago in Apache Junction, Arizona. A guy in a mobile van came out and replaced it. Cost,  $1100.00. He did a good job.

Bill

Careful with that awning, it can come unfurled while driving. Spend $30 on an awning lock even if you get it fixed, it can still happen.  Go to awninglock.com

Thanks for the replys.
As for the windshield it will be replaced in the next couple of weeks.
The air conditioner leaks, the tube is draining but that hole housing had condensation on it and was dripping onto a seam below the housing and I believe that to be the source of the dampness on the floor.
For the awning, we ordered two new spring assemblies that should be here this week. We will replace ourselves.

Yep, my b-i-l nearly lost a hand to the awning on his Airstream.

All together, not too costly.

Our most "expensive" trip was supposed to be two weeks in Maine with another family. We made it as far as Lowell, MA and blew the transmission in my truck. On I-495, on a Sunday afternoon. We limped off the highway, and made it to a nearby campground.

We got the truck to a Dodge dealer in Nashua, NH on Monday. We decided to continue on to Maine and make the best of things. The campground had no storage area, and we had to pay full price to keep the fifth wheel on a campsite. We emptied the fridge and packed clothing into the other vehicles and headed to Maine.

We arrived in Maine, and there was no refund on our site. So now we're paying for two campsites (in MA and ME) that we're not using. All things considered, we had a good time. We were hiking in Acadia when we got the call that the truck was ready. So back to NH to get the truck, and MA to actually spend a couple of days in our own camper before heading home.

But... this is the stuff camping memories are made of!

Well, our maiden voyage I set the brakes on fire in the toad (didn't pay close attention during the 'how to set up the brake system' lecture and did it wrong), only good part was there was a Ford dealer not far from the campground we were going to.  Yep, that was a $1500 little yuk-fest.  On the way back to the house, I got off the highway where I shouldn't have (thank you VERY much Google Maps), got onto a tiny two lane road that had a 180 degree switchback, toad collided with the tow bar, destroying the tow bar and the front left corner of the toad.  Another $1000 in deductibles.  DW was not pleased with our FIRST trip in the coach.  Yeesh. 

Back
Top Bottom