Replace plug on end of power cord?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeandJane

My cable is starting to pull out of my plug, and it looks like the plug may have gotten too warm at some point as the rubber around the connectors is slightly melted.  Is it worth just replacing the plug or will a replacement be more prone to problems if not molded to the cord?

Replacing the plug should be fine, if you eliminate the damaged portion. The molding is partly for waterproofing and partly for strain relief, and perhaps for manufacturing convenience as well.

If you melted the plug you should first figure out why it melted and correct that problem. What is the gauge and length of the current cord?

SeilerBird said:
If you melted the plug you should first figure out why it melted and correct that problem. What is the gauge and length of the current cord?
Yep, a couple years ago are used a 14 gauge extension cord and was running the air conditioner. Now I have a 10 gauge extension cord.

As teh cord ages the sheath (the outer covering) shrinks. so this will happen over and over over the course of many years. Normal by the way  Just cut the wires and shorten things a bit every few years. (once you have a replaceable plug).

By the way.. odds are if you get yourself measured. a few years down the road YOU will have "Shrunk" a little too. (Different reason) but it turns out lots of things shrink as they age. I peaked about 2 INches taller than I am now.

I would replace the plug, (which I did on one of my trailers).  It is much cheaper and just as good.
Just make sure the cable and wires are good.

Jack L

JoeandJane said:
My cable is starting to pull out of my plug, and it looks like the plug may have gotten too warm at some point as the rubber around the connectors is slightly melted.  Is it worth just replacing the plug or will a replacement be more prone to problems if not molded to the cord?
I replaced my plug with a Smart Plug.. Much more secure connection than the twist lock.  Check out smartplug.com for all the information

ysidive said:
I replaced my plug with a Smart Plug.. Much more secure connection than the twist lock.  Check out smartplug.com for all the information

I believe he is talking about the other end.  As for twist locks and smartplugs, I want no potential heating problem in the wall of my trailer, so I hard wire and toss those devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom