To disconnect or leave connected...the battery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cannsyl

Just wondering...I turned everything in the FW off before parking it.  I did not disconnect the battery. 
Do you all disconnect the battery or just turn everything off?

Thanks

You need to disconnect the battery, either by taking a cable off or using a switch for that purpose.  There are a number of things that have no switch and will discharge your battery.

Install a cutoff switch and use every time it is in storage. Option is buying new batteries every year.
RichH

Even with "everything turned off", there are some items still drawing power like a LP and CO detector, a 12V stereo system (maintains time and station memory) or a clock.  As Rich so clearly stated, install and use a battery cut off, they are less than $10, or plan on replacing the battery very often.

Disconnect the batteries, open the refrigerator doors and fill the toilet bowls with water to keep the seals from drying out. We never have freezing weather to speak of.

I keep all roof vents open as they have Maxxair covers on them.

Battery switches are cheap and less than a 10 minute install with one screwdriver. Not sure why they are not standard equipment on all rigs.

I don't want to hijack this post and don't want to do improper etiquette, so as a still new person to this forum, please let me know if I'm doing wrong and need to start a new thread.  But along the same lines as what was originally posted...If I have solar panels on top of my trailer, can I just leave the batteries connected all winter as they are continually charged?

mij,

You are fine asking your question here. We are not real strict on etiquette here.  HOWEVER, you will likely get more helpful information by starting a new thread.

With that said, yes, leave the solar connected!  It is a great way to keep the batteries charged.

grashley said:
As Rich so clearly stated, install and use a battery cut off, they are less than $10, or plan on replacing the battery very often.

I bought two of the cheap red key type of switches in one year, get another type or a good marine switch like the Blue Sea brand.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom