Help with sealing floor on a 69' Avion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfman23

Hi all,

I just purchased this 1969 Avion 28 ft trailer as a project to restore it. The bottom sheet metal panel has seperated at the front corner from the upper metal shell and I'd like to seal it somehow.

I was thinking of either finding a welder to do the job, but the problem is that the metal is very thin aluminum sheeting.

Or I was thinking of using this RV tape - Eternabond tape - http://a.co/74x9kft  - from what I've seen most people use this for sealing leaky roofs, I haven't seen anyone us it for this purpose yet, but it seems similar enough, maybe?

Once it's sealed back into place, the material or method used for fixing it shouldn't be visible unless you go under the vehicle.

Can anyone give me tips or advice on this?

Thanks all!

See attached photos

Attachments

• IMG-7746.JPG
    IMG-7746.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-7748.JPG
    IMG-7748.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 16
There is no easy way of fixing it. I would try to make some jigs out of plywood for forms (use existing ribs for a guide) then try your hand at fiberglassing the whole corner up. It would be labor intensive but if done right it would look good.

Where else along that seam is it ready to go but not gone just yet? That's going to be  PITA to fix with any longevity to the repair. Hiding the repair? Whole nuther story. JMHO

Daffy said:
Where else along that seam is it ready to go but not gone just yet? That's going to be  PITA to fix with any longevity to the repair. Hiding the repair? Whole nuther story. JMHO

Parts of that whole panel or "pan" are a bit messed up. What I meant was, I'm not concerned about seeing the repair, as I think it won't really be visible once it goes back into place.

Somebody suggested just getting a whole new piece of sheet aluminum cut to the right shape and riveting it back in. Not sure where I'll get that done yet. Was honestly looking for a quick fix, something semi-permanent that would last a year or two. I may not keep this trailer very long.

Thanks

Well if you want a temp fix, go get a roll of aluminum duct tape (The metal stuff). It will kinda blend in and if you clean the area very well before applying, most likely last a year or so.

Back
Top Bottom