Second time out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grashley

We just returned from our second trip.  Much more successful than the first!!!

Wife spotted and guided me out of the yard without the need for a tow truck like last time (mud)
OUR COMMUNICATION METHOD was : the truck has a bluetooth radio connection.  I sat in the truck with my phone on the console.  She called from her phone.  I had totally hands free communication.  We maneuvered around a LARGE pine tree and past a blackberry fence without incident.  Three or four times she said goal (Get Out And Look) at strategic points.

At the campground, (Ferne Clyffe, IL SP) we stayed in a pull through site.  She is still afraid of back in sites.

30 AMP SERVICE:  Although the camper is wired for 50A, almost all sites were 30 A, including ours.  It worked fine for ONE  A/C, water heater and fridge on electric, but when my daughter put something in the microwave, 20 sec later,  no power.  Reset and all was good again.  THAT is a limit to 30 Amp service.

I THOUGHT we had plenty of water on board when we left home.  I had drained the HW tank on general principle.  At the CG, there was not enough in the fresh water tank to fill the heater.  Thankfully, one of the water hydrants scattered around was only 60 ft away, and I had enough hose to reach and I filled the tank.  It must have taken 15 or 20 minutes, but I filled until water began running back out.  NOW all was well.  The new pump ran flawlessly without any air added to the lines.

The one issue was the fridge.  Norcold 1200.  One freezer stayed around 12 deg F, the other side was about 23 deg F.  The fridge stayed about 48 deg F.  Ended up with stuff in the ice chest.  I know this has been covered recently, so I will research recent posts before asking questions.

New tall elongated toilet with spray was WONDERFUL!

Weather was good.  Not too hot, no rain.  We had the granddaughter for the first 2 days, then just two of us for the last day.

I gotta do this more often!!

Glad you had a good 2nd trip out!

grashley said:
30 AMP SERVICE:  Although the camper is wired for 50A, almost all sites were 30 A, including ours.  It worked fine for ONE  A/C, water heater and fridge on electric, but when my daughter put something in the microwave, 20 sec later,  no power.  Reset and all was good again.  THAT is a limit to 30 Amp service.
FYI a hair dryer will do it, too. My head has not seen a hair dryer in many years but DW and daughters discovered it a few times. Now they know, kick off the water heater or AC first.  ;D

I had drained the HW tank on general principle.

Why??

We always leave home with a full fresh water tank.  You need to be prepared for an emergency such as a breakdown alongside the road where there are no hookups.  Of course, living in earthquake country we've always kept the water and fuel tanks full when stored.  But you never know when a campground's electric will go down and they can't use the pumps (happened at a KOA in Virginia) or the well goes dry (happened one year at Quartzsite).  You know the old Boy Scout Marching Song - Be Prepared!

ArdraF

I drained the HWH to get rid of stale possible algae water.  I THOUGHT I had a half full fresh water tank.  I was wrong.
Scout Motto :  Be Prepared.  Maybe this is why I never made Eagle  :-[  My son did, as did my grandfather in 1927.

grashley said:
I THOUGHT we had plenty of water on board when we left home.  I had drained the HW tank on general principle.  At the CG, there was not enough in the fresh water tank to fill the heater.  Thankfully, one of the water hydrants scattered around was only 60 ft away, and I had enough hose to reach and I filled the tank.  It must have taken 15 or 20 minutes, but I filled until water began running back out.  NOW all was well.  The new pump ran flawlessly without any air added to the lines.

Watch for water loss while driving.  Many were built that allowed water to spill out vents under the trailer when rounding curves and on hills.  My trailer nearly emptied the tank in 80 miles!

grashley said:

My RV is 30 amps, and I routinely use the microwave or hairdryer while the AC is running without tripping the breaker.  The trick is not wasting electricity on the water heater or refrigerator.  Leave them on propane, you'll never notice the small amount the refrigerator uses over a day or two, but you'll save 3-4 amps for other uses.

The water heater uses 10-12 amps, but only intermittently as it's thermostat calls for heat.  The problem is when you leave it's electric side switched on, you don't know when the thermostat will call for heat.  If it kicks in while you're using the AC and then you turn on the microwave or a hairdryer you'll trip the 30 amp breaker.

Turn off the water heater switch before you fire up that second large appliance, or just leave the water heater on propane.  If you turn it off after it heats a tank of water, it will stay hot enough to do the dishes, etc. for the rest of the day.

Turn the water heater back on about 1/2 hour before you take a shower so you have hot water for your shower, then turn it off when you're through, and you'll have that power available for other uses while it's off.

lynnmor said:
Watch for water loss while driving.  Many were built that allowed water to spill out vents under the trailer when rounding curves and on hills.  My trailer nearly emptied the tank in 80 miles!

Not uncommon in some RV's. I had a 5th wheel that would do that. I had to put a shut off valve in the drain line both for pulling it with a full tank of water,  and when I would fill the tank.  When filling it would set up a "siphon" and would lose about a half a tank of water. I would turn off the shut off valve when it was full, then when I got to the campground I would open the valve.  The only way I could get to a destination with a full water tank.

SargeW said:
Not uncommon in some RV's. I had a 5th wheel that would do that. I had to put a shut off valve in the drain line both for pulling it with a full tank of water,  and when I would fill the tank.  When filling it would set up a "siphon" and would lose about a half a tank of water. I would turn off the shut off valve when it was full, then when I got to the campground I would open the valve.  The only way I could get to a destination with a full water tank.

Yes, tens or hundreds of thousands of RVs have been built with this cheap faulty design.  Since most add little or no water to the tank they don't have a clue that there is a problem.

I never suggest the shut off valves  because if one forgets to open it the tank will pressurize likely causing severe damage.  Likewise, if one forgets to open it in use the tank will collapse as water is drawn.  I suggest that the vents be run up to a point well above tank level and exit the coach at that level.  I fixed mine, but know of only a couple of others that went to the trouble of doing a proper repair.

SargeW wrote

I had to put a shut off valve in the drain line both for pulling it with a full tank of water,

Think you meant the VENT line..... Good solution though!!

Well, kinda sorta Stu. It was used by the MF to be an over flow line, so it was doing double duty. But it wasn't designed well, because it would set itself up a siphon and empty the tank.

Back
Top Bottom