Question about Eternabond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVRAC

Question, those of you who used Eternabond tape, did you keep the existing sealant or did you remove it before putting Eternabond? If you remove the existing sealant, did it make any difference?

OK, the easy answer is YES to both.  In some areas I removed the old in others I cleaned it and covered it with the EternaBond.  Where I removed the old, it was easier to make sure the EternaBond was well adhered.  In the other areas where the old was still there, I had to make sure there was a good margin between the edge of the old and the new edge.  The recommendation as I recall was for at least 1/2" of the EternaBond beyond the old.  That is why in a few cases I did additional removal in order to get that margin.

The Eternabond needs a clean and preferably smooth surface to adhere well and seal all paths water could seep in. Laying the tape over a mound of caulk makes that difficult or maybe impossible. Not to mention ugly.  If the tape is wide enough, it can straddle the caulk and seal to the flat roof adjacent to it (I would suggest at least 1" of tape in contact with the roof). However, it is always better to remove a much of the caulk as practical. Clean the surface before taping.

Jim Godward said:
OK, the easy answer is YES to both.  In some areas I removed the old in others I cleaned it and covered it with the EternaBond.  Where I removed the old, it was easier to make sure the EternaBond was well adhered.  In the other areas where the old was still there, I had to make sure there was a good margin between the edge of the old and the new edge.  The recommendation as I recall was for at least 1/2" of the EternaBond beyond the old.  That is why in a few cases I did additional removal in order to get that margin.

X2.
IU also added a bead of caulk to the leading edge if used across front of coach as air can get under and lift tape.
I used acetone to clean.

I had tried various types of caulking on several occasions to seal the front where the roof meets the fibreglass even lifting the aluminum track caulking then reattaching the track, none seemed to solve an annoying leak over the driver's seat.  I cleaned off virtually all of the caulking, as I had done each previous time, then applied the eternabond and problem solved for several years, and after several winter storages.

Ed

Jim Godward said:

Same here, but as Gary said, I tried to get get at least an in on the roof.

I just did mine this spring for the first time with tape. First, I cleaned all the caulking with soap and water, applied new caulk to the areas which looked like it needed it, then I covered it with the tape.

That's what I plan to do Rene.

kdbgoat said:
Same here, but as Gary said, I tried to get get at least an in on the roof.

And this is easy to do with the 4" tape width. A bead of caulk is maybe 1/2" so you have plenty of room on both sides. CLEAN surface and lots of downward pressure (a rolling pin is a good tool to use) are essential for Eternabond application.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom