Winnebago F-53 Chassis OEM Track Bar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LTWinnebago

I own a 2017 Winnebago Sunstar 31KE built on a 2016 Ford F-53 Chassis. GVWR is 16,000 lbs.  I am exploring the addition of anti-sway products and need to know if the chassis has an OEM Track Bar installed.  Can anyone help me identify whether or not this has been installed on my rig?  Thanks for any help on this issue.

We had a 14 Winnebago Vista. Same chassis and it did not have a rear track bar. I built one and installed. Made 100% difference. Drive was like a different coach.

No factory rear trackbar.  Only the front.  Rear tracbar usually makes a world of difference.  I also built my own.

You can buy them. I think they around $600. It has been a few years since I looked. If you are decent fabricator you can make them for under $100. There are videos and diagrams on how to make or install one. It honestly night and day driving after I installed it. That was the only thing I ever changed on the chassis or suspension.

I made one similar to this.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20180815-204122_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20180815-204122_Chrome.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 56
Here is an aftermarket rear track bar for that chassis. Supersteer is a respected brand.
https://supersteerparts.com/product/motorhome/class-a/f-53/14k-18k-ford-f53/rear-trac-bars-for-ford-f53-16-19-5k-chassis/

They also have a rear antisway bar kit for the 16k-18k F53, but its about $2000.

Wish I had the ability to build my own.  I have called and spoken to reps from Blue-Ox and Roadmaster, they were both very informative and helpful in explaining what they have and what I may need. 

Now, I have called two RV centers that support each of these products, but I guess they don't want my money, because I can't seem to get a call back...friggin unbelievable, (not really, I've dealt with many RV dealers, but one women on the phone was almost indignant when I asked if I could expect a call back today, may have been the kiss of death asking I guess.) 

LTWinnebago said:
I guess they don't want my money, because I can't seem to get a call back...friggin unbelievable, (not really, I've dealt with many RV dealers, but one women on the phone was almost indignant when I asked if I could expect a call back today, may have been the kiss of death asking I guess.)

Shame on you for expecting customer service or even the common courtesy of a call back!!!! Now march right down there and plop your money on the counter and leave empty handed!!! HRMPFFFFF!!!!

Find the best deal you can, on-line, order it and have a local mechanic do the install - it's not rocket science.  I hate going to RV dealers.  Most seem to have more business than they can handle.

phil-t said:
Find the best deal you can, on-line, order it and have a local mechanic do the install - it's not rocket science.  I hate going to RV dealers.  Most seem to have more business than they can handle.

I would agree. RV shop will charge you a fortune and try to up sell you. There is not much to them pretty straight forward.

You don't need an RV dealer to install chassis parts, and probably don't want one either. Mot often just high-pried and lacking in chassis mechanical skills besides.

Does Roadmaster even have a rear track bar for the F53?  Last I knew, they sold the Davis Tru-Trak which is for the front only, and the Ford chassis already has a front track bar.  Blue Ox has a rear track bar, but only for the 20,000 lb and 22,000 lb chassis, andd yours appears to be lighter than that.  I think the Supersteer is what you need (link in my previous message).

Thanks to all for a little levity. ;D

I'm looking at local auto repair which advertises that they do that type of installation. Going to drive over and have a chat.

Roadmaster parts for 16,000 GVWR F-53

Davis Tru-trac Bar  TRAC-F550  $427.30
Steering stabilizer and bracket  RSSA, RBK-22  $350 and $95
Front Sway Bar  #1139-140  $606.70
Rear Aux Sway Bar #1139-146  $821.25

The Roadmaster Rep said that initially the Rear Aux Sway Bar should take care of top heaviness and being pushed to the right by passing trucks, etc.  Other items add benefits, but the main recommendation was the rear bar.  Make sense?

Prices are their current sale prices not MSRP. (but close probably)

BTW, no calls yet, 2 and 3 days out.  :-[

Ghostman said:
I would just do rear trac bar first. Then do the rest if need be. I only did rear and had no other trouble.

Thanks, I am just doing the rear to start out.  We have a small RV/Truck repair shop about 5 miles from my home.  I remembered it after a buddy told me they bought a TT there and got a good deal and service from them.  I stopped and the manager was great, told me to buy whatever brand I wanted an they would install it for me. (Kinda like bringing a steak to a restaurant and having them cook it :D)

I asked if they wanted to make money on the product and order it for me, he said that it was faster and easier for me to get it, as it was only going to take less then 2 hrs to install.  It was going to be a quick turn around for them. So, it's ordered on on it's way. 

That's great you found a shop nearby that can do the work.  I hope they workout for you and do a good job.
The Roadmaster rep is probably right - the rear swaybar will help a lot, as well as the rear trackbar.
Have you looked at having that shop just do the CHF "Cheap Handling Fix" on the stock front and rear swaybars?  It's a simple procedure and help a lot.

Don't know much about the CHF, although I have seen threads that mention adjustments that help with handling.  I will look into that, thank you.

CHF is a very easy DIY project, if you have a few tools. It involves moving the links that go the swaybar (both sides, front and/or rear) from the holes that are at the end of the swaybar to the the set that is about 3" closer to the axle.  It just changes the force required to "twist" the swaybar by changing the "lever" length.  There is a lot of info out there about it.

Getting back to the forum regarding the sway bar. 

I decided with the help of this forum to purchase the rear sway bar directly from Roadmaster.  I got the Rear Aux Sway Bar #1139-146 for $821.25 and contacted a RV repair place close to my home (not an RV dealership). As it turned out I had family connections to the owners and it made a comfortable difference in our relationship.

After I got delivery of the Bar, I made an appointment for the installation.  It went well, until the tech realized a couple of small parts were missing from the supplied items. I contacted Roadmaster and they got them to me ASAP via USPS Priority Mail.  A quick visit finished the job a few days later and Roadmaster covered the minor expense for the second visit. Bravo Roadmaster!

First, I need to recognize well how Roadmaster handled everything, they were professional and provided great customer service, certainly worthy of return business should I decide on more components for my rig.

Secondly, The bar is AMAZING, I can't believe the difference it has made in handling, it drives great, doesn't bob and weave on turns and road variations are minimized.  I'll be taking it on the road in a day or two for a fall trip, I'm anxious to see how it handles on a trip. I suspect I'll be pleased with the difference.

BTW, finding this small family owner RV/automotive repair center was a hidden gem to this whole project. They accept extended warranty insurance and are experienced in all areas of RV maintenance.  Also, I never heard from the two RV dealers I called and for sure I won't ever be calling them again.

Back
Top Bottom