Best brand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mergel308

I am new to this site and this is my first post. I am considering going full time RV living in a few years, well more then a few, 5+. I have been doing research on different types of motor homes and have come to the conclusion that I want a class C diesel. The reason with the class C is that they are built on large truck frames and have a better towing capacity (I could be full of it on this, it was what I came across on another info site). I want to pull a trailer with my car, toys and a few other thing. What I was wondering from those who have gone full time

What brand motor home do you have or really like?

It will just be my wife and I, kids will be gone.
Thank you all again, this site has been a wonderful help in learning.

Welcome to the forum.

The RV you're describing is called a "Super C". There are a few members here that have them, hopefully they'll weigh-in on their likes and dislikes of the ones they own.

I have been doing research on different types of motor homes and have come to the conclusion that I want a class C diesel. The reason with the class C is that they are built on large truck frames and have a better towing capacity
Compared to regular van-based Class C's, that is true.  Compared to Class A's, it is totally false.  A Class A has a heavy duty chassis designed for the purpose of carrying a large motorhome body and towing things.  Most Class A chassis are derived from medium or heavy truck chassis designs and often use the same components.  There are Class A diesel chassis with GVWRs in the 60,000 lb range and towing capacities of 15,000 lbs or more.  Even the Ford F53 gas Class A chassis is derived from the F550 medium duty truck design and shares many components with it.

The Super C diesels are a good choice, but if what you really want is a strong frame and largish towing capacity, you should include Class A's in your potential shopping list.  I suggest you figure out how much CCC (Cargo Capacity) and Tow Capacity you think you need and shop based on that, not on Class  designation.  Most gas chassis coaches these days have at least 5000 lb tow rating, but if you want more you probably need a diesel-powered chassis.

Gary is correct. Most stacker trailers are being pulled by 40-45' Class A motor homes. A Super C will handle the duty just as well, but by including the diesel class A's into your search, you will have a much greater choice of manufacturers, drive train, and floor plans. My 40' Bus is rated to pull 10,000 pounds and has a 450 HP Cummins.  And it's not the biggest one out there. Class A's easily run up to 15,000 pound tow rating with 600 HP Cummins motors.

I met an old rancher from Texas that drives his mid 2000's 35' Gas Class A motorhome, that tows a open flatbed trailer, with a fill size 1/2 ton Chevy truck on it with a side by side quad in the bed of the truck, with a bunch of other support equipment on the trailer.

He says he welded up the Pendelton hitch himself.  Once a year he hitches up that loaded down 20k gvw ranch trailer and heads form the San Antonio area to the CA high desert to see family. 

He says "it ain't fast but it always gets me there".

Back
Top Bottom