Camper supports

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soundman1955

Greetings, My camper is showing signs of bowing. One side where the cab over joins to the main frame is bowing out. From a good source, a mobile RV repair man, I was told that it is from the weight of the cab over bed. He told me that he use to install rubber bumpers onto the roof of the truck to prevent the cab over from bouncing to much.

Has anyone heard of anyone or had this type problem. I am looking for all options.

Thank you,
Soundman1955

The truck is a 2003 Ford 250 King cab, and the camper is a 2007 Montana Ponderosa FSC 9.5

Thank you
Ray

Attachments

• camper1mod.jpg
    camper1mod.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 17
I think you may have some structural problems. My cab over is huge and I have no problems. You want the cab over to be free move up and down. If you stabilize the cab over with bump stops, what will that do to the roof of your truck?
Generally speaking, you want your camper to be able to move a little, that is why you have spring loaded tie downs.Lance makes some struts that attach to the front of truck and to the cab over to slow down the movement of the cab over.
If any part of the camper is prevented from moving a little, the camper will see damage from ruts, pot holes, speed bumps etc, you need to be able to bleed off some the energy from these things, otherwise you camper will take a beating.

Yes, as Skyhammer explained it. Your bed and cab are not a solid unified structure, they move independent of each other and the camper becomes part of the bed thus moving at different rates from the cab.  Just maybe those extra forces could make things worse and the roof of the pick up may take some pressure causing some denting. Something must of happen to the cab over section to the camper,,,gregg

Yeap, that's definitely due to the way the camper attaches to the truck. I used to have the same problem with my first camper. It got dented and I couldn't realize the reason, until a shop told that the camper has to move, while I did everything I could to make a sort of solid construction with the bed of the truck.

Back
Top Bottom