Any homeschooling families?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVMommaTo6

Are any of you homeschooling families?
I homeschool my kids, they're in grades 11, 10, 8, 7, 6, and 4th. We started out in public schools but they have some pretty specific needs and the schools had a hard time finding a place for them. I started out because of a lack of other options, the plan was to do it temporarily until we could come up with an appropriate placement, then loved it and continued from that point on. I'm on our 7th year.
Tell me about yourselves!

More reading here than one person can stand:

https://www.google.com/search?q=homeschooling+while+fulltime+rv%27ing&oq=homeschooling+while+fulltime+rv%27ing&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.11551j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

We have a number of members who homeschool, and hopefully they'll jump in.

I've followed some blogs and FB stories, I didn't know if any of them found there way here.

We don't let school get in the way of education! Hehe

Well I'm past that stage (My only child is now a school teacher and mother of 2).

But I know a few home-schoolers..

I will make these comments.
Home schoolers have done rather well in academic competition over the last few years (As in national winners) seems the One on one or just a few "home" enviorment works very well.

Most all the Homeschoolers I know are good people teaching their children well.  and there is a very very good chance their "Students" will graduate College... With Honors.

Some.. are not. But I don't knwo any of those.

I completely agree, we have a large homeschool community where we live and these are some of the smartest, most well balanced kids I know. My kids struggle academically, probably won't be doing the college route, but are great people with hearts of gold. They were all exposed to crystal meth and cocaine prenatally and suffer from low IQs and a host of learning disabilities. But they're well behaved and outside of an academic setting, you would never know they have any disabilities. Homeschooling has been a miracle for us, really life changing. I'm beyond grateful we're able to do it.

There are many positives to home schooling as you probably already have discovered.  However, some of the downsides are that the kids may not learn how to handle conflicts with others if you keep them in a bubble.  They also may not build up needed resistance to things they would get exposed to more frequently with with other children (ie colds, flu).  It would be easy to tell a child that not everyone in this world has your best interest at hand or that there are people in this world that dont deserve to be your friend, but allowing them to experience those emotions makes for a more well rounded adult IMO.

Also they need to experience some peer bonding of their own and allow them to have those social skills outside of brothers and sisters which is a completely different dynamic.

I am all for home schooling especially in your case Amanda and your current challenges.  I know there are K-12 programs out there that allow them to learn at home and also mingle with others their age at special events.  I think that would be the best mix. 

You certainly have nerves of steel doing this on your own, my hat is off to you.

Thanks Dave, doing it on my own wasn't by choice, but I sure as sh*t won't let my kids suffer for having one parent.

I get that, especially because I've seen many examples of sheltered homeschool kids, but I'm not too concerned about that for them. They're very active with other kids. We have a ton of kids in the neighborhood and they're outside pretty much from sun up until I'm dragging them in at night half eaten by mosquitoes lol, they also play soccer, ultimate frisbee, ski, ice skate, etc etc. They're very social, making friends where ever we go, even camping lol, they end up bonding to random other campers, exchange information, and now have pen pals all over the place. They have their weaknesses, but sociability and dealing with people is a strength for them. (Math, not a strength lol)

I wish my kids had you as a mom Amanda. For their 18th birthday she tossed all their pics in the garbage and told them "your not my kids anymore, goodbye".  She was abusive to them from the very beginning, much of it i never knew about until they told me later in life.  Needless to say i was livid and its lucky i did not live anywhere near her.  They refer to her as psycho.  They are in their late 20's now and adjusting to trying to get her mindgames out of their heads, they are very strong and good kids.

I most certainly would have home schooled them if i could have.  They have much better K12 programs now than they did then. 

Child abuse breaks my heart. It really sucks that your kids had to experience that. I was a foster parent, I've had 27 kids live in my house over the years, and some of their stories were traumatizing just to hear. Even my own kids, they were in foster care in Oregon before I adopted them and their stories are jaw dropping. Thankfully they don't remember because they were so young. Then of course the news is always full of stories that make you cringe. Hopefully your news is better than ours, I feel like every day there's a new story about a child being abused or even killed. I can't even read the articles, the headlines alone are so depressing.
I hope your kids get the help they need and realize that it isn't them, it's her. Being abused or going through any trauma really, can change a person so much.

I knew she was mean but i didnt think she actually abused them like she did.  The times i did get to talk to them i told them not to carry her baggage and that i was proud of them and loved them.  Like i said i just thought she was mean, had i known she was actually abusive i would have gotten them out of there immediately.

Later in life they told me that i saved their lives with my words, that totally touched me.  I didnt know if i was doing what i needed to do to get my message accross but im glad i did.

With todays issues in schools, the gangs, violence, and all of that stuff even in small town USA.  I would never put a child of mine in regular school.  I have a hard time watching the news also when it comes to kids getting hurt, it breaks my heart.  It also makes me so mad that we have come to a point where it seems nothing is sacred anymore. 

I know now days with social net we hear things that in the old days we never would have heard about, but still it seems the world is much more violent today then it used to be. 

Later in life they told me that i saved their lives with my words, that totally touched me.  I didnt know if i was doing what i needed to do to get my message accross but im glad i did.

The next time you feel down, please remember these two sentences.  They sum up what truly is important in life.  You did good!

ArdraF

check out full time families, we met them at the Escapees Escapade this year. We know several families that home school - some of the smartest and well behaved kids we have met.
https://www.fulltimefamilies.com/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom