rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Roof Ac Help  (Read 284 times)

nspoacamper

• ---
Roof Ac Help
« on: August 17, 2018, 03:55:12 PM »

« o
I plugged my RV into the 110 outlet on my house and turned RV Ac roof system on.It was working great left for a few hours . Came home the cord end was hot and the adapter was slightly
 melted. Went in RV it was running but just the fan. I turned it off started the generator and when kicked it over to the ac part it bogged the generator down.  Now the ac is not blowing out cold air and I believe only the fan is working.

Any suggestions....????  start Capacitor ?

captsteve

• ---
  • measure with a micrometer, cut with a chainsaw!
Re: Roof Ac Help
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 03:59:13 PM »
overheated compressor. It may work when it cools or it may have died a painful death caused by low voltage/amperage....
Capt Steve has the Conn, Trina navigator ( Admiral )
2004 American Revolution 40c (aka Fat Girl) **Sold**
2017 Ram 1500 (Future Toad)
Piper Archer II  (Where the RV money goes)

nspoacamper

• ---
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 04:09:22 PM »
Thank You I will let it cool and try it again.If it doesn’t work ill replace capacitor.

Ghostman

• ---
  • Jarrod,
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 04:27:23 PM »
Most 110 outlets are barley enough to run your AC. That is if nothing else is on. In RV or other circuits in you house our garage. Then if you use a extension cord to the RV it decreases even less. If you want to run AC at home have a dedicated 30 or 50 amp plug installed. I have one outside and inside where I can plug in.
“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.”

2016 Forest River Berkshire XL
2006 modified Jeep Grand Cherokee

No need to travel the world when there is so much to see here.

solarman

• ---
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 09:41:20 AM »
« o
I plugged my RV into the 110 outlet on my house and turned RV Ac roof system on.It was working great left for a few hours . Came home the cord end was hot and the adapter was slightly
 melted. Went in RV it was running but just the fan. I turned it off started the generator and when kicked it over to the ac part it bogged the generator down.  Now the ac is not blowing out cold air and I believe only the fan is working.

Any suggestions....????  start Capacitor ?

What is the AWG of the extension and length ?
the typical 14 AWG lead will have too much voltage drop
you need a good 10 AWG extension to avoid loss.

secondly, a lazy run capacitor will cause an increase in amps as it fails

ORV 24RKS 960 Watts solar
48V LFP, 2000W inverter/charger
Ram 2500 CTD

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 04:43:44 PM »
If you are using too small a cord.. It will over heat and melt
And if you do not wait at lest 3 minutes after shutting down the A/C. it can bog down. overheat, thermal cut out and then perhaps 3-5 minutes later try again.. This time starting normally. meanwhile it blows only warm air.

THIS. in fact, is the reason that when switching from Sore to Genny or back you keep power off a FULL 3 MINUTES.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Frank B

• ---
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 02:59:35 PM »

« o

Any suggestions.... ??? ?  start Capacitor ?

See this thread:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,115568.msg1044811.html#msg1044811

Darned expensive, but works wonders.  I had melted adapter on my heavy duty extension cord from the 15 amp circuit in our garage. However, once I installed the easystart soft start kit, I have had no problems, even in 38 deg C weather.

you get the added advantage of being able to run the air conditioner off a smaller genset if needed.

Linux:  Free, open, elegant.
06 GMC 3500 Duramax crew/long pulling 2010 Arctic Fox 30U with 1700 lb Reese Titan Class 5.
1.2 kw solar