Garden Hose Warning - do not drink from this hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
durangod said:
I just never heard of a drinking water hose before, i thought a hose was a hose was a hose.  lol
durangod
See: https://rvshare.com/blog/rv-water-hose/

WOW what a silly world - fighting over rain drops...   

I can see if someone had 100 barrels out there or some kind of massive 10 acre collection device.  But the normal household is never going to make a dent on water needs for everyone else, even if everyone had a rain barrel.  I think laws like that are overkill and are designed to stop abusers and not the normal resident.

So whats next are we going to start regulating air as well: hey "thats air from my land - dont breathe it" you dont have air rights..  silly silly silly

Some of these Rainwater laws are related to Nestles or Cococola corporation. They buy up water rights and the plan. long term. if we let 'em get away with it. is to own all the water rights so you can't even take a shower without paying either Nestles or Coke.

Nestles already buys a humongous amount of lake michigan water and sells it for great profit while the city of Flint drinks poison.. What can I say.

Coke... Well Dasani is their brand.. I used to breakfast in a restaurant that proudly advertised you could get a bottle of nice cold Disani water 16.9 ounces for $1.69... Folks that is 12.80 a gallon. And you thought GASOLINE was expensive!!!!!!..

durangod said:
I just never heard of a drinking water hose before, i thought a hose was a hose was a hose.  lol

We've been RVing since ~1990 and there always have been "drinking water quality" hoses.  Not to say that you're going to get sick from an occasional drink from an "unapproved" hose but, as a full-time RVer, I sure wouldn't want to drink all my water from one.

I happened to notice the other day ,,, the inside of my white hose had mold in it.  I give up.

I mentally can't drink from campground water.  It gives me the creeps to run the drinking and sewer through the same area.  It would be one thing if they were permanent but they are hooked and unhooked all the time.  With sewer dripping out of hoses as they are pulled out.

My RV has the fresh water hose storage and sewer in the same area.  Even my own germs freak me out so even if the campground was 100% guaranteed I am already disqualified from just my own RV. 

I do wash dishes and shower with it but only in protest. ;)

I know people do and but after all these years of coddling my immune system I would probably take a sip and fall right over!  ;D

KandT would it make you feel better to spray down the hose bib connection with bleach spray before connecting your hose.

p.s. I keep my drinking water hose in a separate bay from my black tank fittings.

Horrors... I keep my fresh water hose in a Rubbermaid bin stacked on top of the sewer hose bin.

durangod said:
My garden hose went bad today. I think the rubber membrain inside started leaking and the whole hose blew up like a balloon.  So i went and got a new hose.  I never noticed a warning before but it says something like:

So if that is the case do i need to hook up my water filter to fill up my fresh water tank?  Is this warning on all new hoses?

I grew up in Southern California, drinking from the hose at will.  I suppose Thomas Wolfe is right, "You can't go home again." 

Bummer.  :(

Chameleonxanth said:
I grew up in Southern California, drinking from the hose at will.  I suppose Thomas Wolfe is right, "You can't go home again." 

Bummer.  :(

Well i been home again but everyone had moved away and everything was different.  Its like Vegas, everytime you go back the whole strip is differrent.  Yes very sad, all the memories blown up and bulldozed away.  Now the "Rat Pack" only exists in memories.

I drank out of a hose all my life too especially when i was a kid, now not so much.  We lived through the hysterics of the day.

durangod said:
Well i been home again but everyone had moved away and everything was different.  Its like Vegas, everytime you go back the whole strip is differrent.  Yes very sad, all the memories blown up and bulldozed away.  Now the "Rat Pack" only exists in memories.

I drank out of a hose all my life too expecially when i was a kid, now not so much.  We lived through the hysterics of the day.

When I was young the hoses were rubber I suspect the same for you

durangod said:
Well i been home again but everyone had moved away and everything was different. 

I think that was Wolfe's (through his character Webber's) comment as well, (well part of it, in microcosm) that the home we remember when trying to go back, is no longer there, has been erased by time and change.

I experienced that about ten years ago when visiting Los Angeles about ten years after moving away. (We've been here for 20 yeas, now). I was surprised and saddened, felt a little lost, by how much my hometown had changed, how it wasn't at all like the image I kept in my mind, anymore. 

durangod said:
I drank out of a hose all my life too expecially when i was a kid, now not so much.  We lived through the hysterics of the day.

Right?  Ah well, times change.  :)

Yep im having a hard time now because when i first came here i felt like i had a new home. Now i feel like i dont have a home anymore and i am anxious about the future when my lease is up next year and i move away.  Not knowing where ill end up.

I am just wondering if need to rinse out my fresh water tank now since i have been filling it with the wrong type hose.  Usually i fill it after watering the grass so it has run for a bit.  However, there were also times that i just let it run for a split sec to rinse off the brass fitting at the end (after removing my sprayer) and then filled the tank. 

Stupid stupid me!!!  I have had a white hose in my storage compartment all this time, totally forgot about it being there or even that i needed it.

John From Detroit said:
That is the California Required warning.  California requires that label on anything which has ever been linked to cancer even if the link has been disproven.

Now I will give you the list of thing NOT known to be linked to Cancer:

End of list

If the OP is not in CA, it is safe. 

Just run the water for a few minutes through the hose, then fill your fresh water tank.

durangod said:
Yep im having a hard time now because when i first came here i felt like i had a new home. Now i feel like i dont have a home anymore and i am anxious about the future when my lease is up next year and i move away.  Not knowing where ill end up.

I am just wondering if need to rinse out my fresh water tank now since i have been filling it with the wrong type hose.  Usually i fill it after watering the grass so it has run for a bit.  However, there were also times that i just let it run for a split sec to rinse off the brass fitting at the end (after removing my sprayer) and then filled the tank. 

Stupid stupid me!!!  I have had a white hose in my storage compartment all this time, totally forgot about it being there or even that i needed it.

I?m sure that?s a bit scary from your current perspective, but consider that since you live in an RV you can essentially live anywhere you like. Maybe try somewhere far from where you are now; a complete change of environment.  Reboot and try again.  Sometimes scary things turn out to be good things.  ;)

Poster above me Chameleonxanth has a great idea. But to further the thought. What about volunteering in a national forest etc. The people you deal with will  change constantly so you will have the opportunity to interact but not get so close you can get hurt.  Seems ideal.
The Tonto national forest is always recruiting for many different volunteer positions they usually include your site, water, elec and sewer. I have seen one or 2 that even provided propane

go to volunteer.gov and search

darsben said:
Poster above me Chameleonxanth has a great idea. But to further the thought. What about volunteering in a national forest etc. The people you deal with will  change constantly so you will have the opportunity to interact but not get so close you can get hurt.  Seems ideal.
The Tonto national forest is always recruiting for many different volunteer positions they usually include your site, water, elec and sewer. I have seen one or 2 that even provided propane

go to volunteer.gov and search
And in many places, if you volunteer, you stay for free! Bonus!

Not that I'm against hosting, as I have hosted in the past.  But assuming you put in 28 hrs/week, you would be better off working for minimum wage and rent a full hook-up site if you are staying long term.

kdbgoat said:
Not that I'm against hosting, as I have hosted in the past.  But assuming you put in 28 hrs/week, you would be better off working for minimum wage and rent a full hook-up site if you are staying long term.

Seems a valid point (not that I have experience of it).
The goal, in this case, is not so much about living rent-free (although that is a nice perk), but the opportunity to interact with different people on limited terms, which is proposed as potentially more comfortable for the OP. 

Back
Top Bottom