Jayco jay feather 2017 tire pressure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ant21b

When should air pressure be checked and are the tires filled with nitrogen at the factory?

Lots and lots of tire pressure threads out there, but in summary, check your tire pressure BEFORE you start out your day of driving.....whether it's in the morning or if you are leaving in the afternoon or evening....or even at night.  The important thing is to check your tire pressure before the tires have had a chance to heat up from driving.  Tire pressure will change as ambient air temperature changes, so the term "cold pressure" refers to ambient air temperature....not any particular temperature.  So check them at their cold (not having driven with them) and set them at the recommended tire pressure that is listed on the nomenclature plate that is on your camping trailer.  And most likely, they are NOT filled with nitrogen from the factory.  Keep in mind, that if you set your tire pressure in the morning, and during the course of the day the temperatures (ambient air temperature increases), your tire pressure will be higher than where it was set that morning.  This is perfectly OK as the tire manufacturers have engineered and built the tires to take that into consideration.  Hope this helps.

If they happen to be nitrogen filled, they should have green valve caps.  Now if you find that a tire is low, what are you going to do, drive around on a low tire till you find a nitrogen filling station, then wait hours for the tire to cool down, or simply add air with your own portable air compressor?

Generally speaking, RV trailer tires should always be inflated to the max load psi shown on the tire sidewall.  That's because RV makers mostly equip their trailers with a tire size that is barely adequate for the trailer weight (GVWR).

Check the psi when the tire is "cold", meaning not driven on for at least 3-4 hours.  I would check each travel day until I was sure that no tire has a slow leak. Once I was confident of that, I might skip some days. Best plan is to install a TPMS (tire pressure monitor) so you can always have current pressure at your fingertips while in the driver seat.

ant21b said:
When should air pressure be checked and are the tires filled with nitrogen at the factory?
ant21b
FYI air, which free. is 78.09% nitrogen.
100% nitrogen, because it's not free, is seldom used by RV factories and/or by RV owners.

I like checking my tires early morning, before sun hits any of them.  Sun at 11:00 am can heat one side 3 lbs higher than the other.  My TT has the recommended psi on a sticker, close by.  If Nitrogen fill is important to you, check the local Tire dealers, many offer the service, at a cost most likely.

Back
Top Bottom