Royal Dometic RM 22-14 refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JasonJ400

My 78 Holiday Rambler has a Royal Dometic RM 22-14 refrigerator and I ran (set it to run) it on AC for 3 days and it never got cold. I found a manual for a similar model and managed to get the propane side lit from the rear access panel (the striker rod is broken) and I let it burn for about 2.5 hours and there was no temp change in the unit (still at 81 degrees) .  Is it super critical that the RV is super level for this thing to run and what is the reputation for these things still being usable @ 40 years old? Is it worth trying to fix or should I just rip it out and put an AC dorm freezer fridge in it ? I do like the vintage look of it and it would be nice to have it run on gas but it's not critical.
Thanks all.
JG

Doesn't have to be super-level - plus/minus 3 degrees is fine.

Absorption fridges are known to last 40+ years, especially in homes, but those in RVs only occasionally last that long.  Sounds like yours is probably toast. Open up the outside access panel and make sure the gas flame lit. After its been on 40 minutes or so, feel the cooling unit tubing to see if it is getting warm. The boiler area should be really hot, and the rest (after the condensor) warm to the touch. If not, the coolant gas isn't circulating and it's a goner.

I don't know if replacement cooling units are still available for that oldie - try rvcoolingunit.com  Aftermarket units are fine, but I do not recommend remanufactured models. They are a little cheaper but don't have a good track record for reliability.

The service manual linked below starts with the RM24, but the RM 22 should be similar.http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/RM77.pdf

I replaced the 20 year old absorption refer with a dorm refer and my electricity bill went down by about $20 per month. The old one had bad seals and was very poor at keeping things cold.

Thanks guys. Yeah Garry that's the manual I was looking at. I was able to light the burner but nothing seemes to be getting cool. I think I am very well 3 degrees off bubble so I may try to level it and give it another shot. Can I level this via back bumper or is it better to put boards under the tires?

Ok, so I wrestled the old beast out of the rig and I'm glad I did, there was quite an accumulation of old leaves, pine needles, and eaten nut shells piled up under that fridge I could not see much less get to and burning propane in that area for a long time might have ended badly. I picked up a nice 3.5 cuf dorm fridge / freezer that's about 1/2 the size of the old Royal and plugged it in and it was cold in 45 minutes. I put my 700 W microwave that I had been storing in the old fridge on top and still have some working / food prep area on top of the fridge and microwave. I need to bend up some metal U straps to secure both units into the cab. My only issue now is how to terminate the old gas line. I could just crimp it but I would rather keep the option to use it again maybe. What do I need to cap off that line (whats it called). It looks like a 1/2 single flared copper line.

JasonJ400 said:
My only issue now is how to terminate the old gas line. I could just crimp it but I would rather keep the option to use it again maybe. What do I need to cap off that line (whats it called). It looks like a 1/2 single flared copper line.

DO NOT just crimp the line. That will not work. Eventually it could leak then you'll have bigger issues. Just go to the a hardware store or Lowe's and talk the guys in the pipe section. The have flared pipe plugs just for that.

Thanks Rene. I'll see if I can find the proper terminator. What I did was removed the shut off valve from the back of the fridge and bolted it on. I safety wired it in the shut position and then taped it and even put a small bungie cord on it to keep closed pressure on it and keep the line from moving around. I opened the LP bottle valve and tested for leaks and it's nice and tight. This way I have the option to use a gas fridge in the future should I decide too.

Back
Top Bottom